Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best state in the Midwest?
Illinois 24 38.71%
Indiana 10 16.13%
Iowa 8 12.90%
Kansas 3 4.84%
Michigan 12 19.35%
Minnesota 20 32.26%
Missouri 8 12.90%
Nebraska 1 1.61%
North Dakota 1 1.61%
Ohio 12 19.35%
South Dakota 3 4.84%
Wisconsin 18 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 04:52 PM

524 posts, read 706,913 times

Advertisements

Which do you think are the best Midwestern states to live, work, and play? Please don't randomly pick Illinois just because Chicago is the largest city in the Midwest.

Please share your opinions and facts. Your list can be very narrow or a complete ranking of the states from best to worst.

You also can vote on the poll by selecting more than one choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 05:17 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,859,719 times
My short list contains Ohio and Indiana. Michigan, Iowa, and Illinois are dark horses.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:25 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,349,486 times
Illinois and Wisconsin. The best jobs in my field are located in IL, and it has a diversity of housing options from the most urban in the Midwest to extremely rural. WI is right nearby IL, which has the best outdoor opportunities in the Midwest, in my opinion. Plus there's Chicago in Illinois, which offers everything from world-class theatre, comedy, musicals, opera, symphonies, and urban parks as well as an urban experience that you can't get in any other city in the Midwest. I am originally from downstate Illinois, so I also appreciate the farmland, the prairie, and the wide open skies that the state offers. My partner is from Wisconsin, and it's basically my second home, so I love it, too. In my opinion, it's hard to top Madison as the best college town in the Midwest.

MN and MI are extremely nice, too, but I don't quite like them as much as IL and WI.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,063,330 times
Minnesota and Wisconsin have the highest quality of life in the Midwest. Not surprised both are currently polling ahead of everything else.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:04 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,395,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Please don't randomly pick Illinois just because Chicago is the largest city in the Midwest.
Why not ? pretty legit reason if you ask me.... of course i'm going to vote for the only Midwestern state that has a global city.

I also voted for Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio and Wisconsin who all have large cities, great tourist spots and beautiful scenery.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:11 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,349,081 times
The Chicago area and Champaign-Urbana ares are fantastic, the rest of Illinois is boring farmland, but I still voted for it.

Minnesota- The State of Hockey.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:38 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,124,958 times
Live and work: Minnesota
Play: Illinois (read: Chicago)

Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,142,130 times
When I hear the word "play", I automatically think of outdoors activities for some reason. And for that reason alone, I give the nod to Wisconsin. There is so much to do year round up there, and the COL is cheaper than IL. Chicago is close by for weekend trips, and you can enjoy the vast wilderness of WI.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:35 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,075,423 times
Illinois just for Chicago - but it's a very valid reason for me.

Iowa because it has a great quality of life, nice tolerant and open minded people, low cost of living, hardly any crime, good economy and decent wages. It's cities are almost all over the top of those "best" lists.

Michigan because it's beautiful and has lots to do, high standard of living and great people. The 7% of people who live in the city of Detroit and have a very hard time at life always dominate the talk of Michigan. I'd rather focus on the other 93% for once.

Wisconsin because it has nice cities and great people, beautiful scenery.

Minnesota for basically the same reasons as Michigan and Wisconsin. Minneapolis is a fantastic place to live as well.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:40 PM

524 posts, read 706,913 times
Minnesota - The state really fascinates me so does Wisconsin. However, Madison and Milwaukee are too small for my taste. The Twin Cities is just ideal to me for its size with a plenty of leisure and it is only a short drive to more outdoorsy northern Minnesota. I don't think I could handle living in a huge city like Chicago so that rules out Illinois. Minnesota also has a high quality of life with moderate cost of living along with a good economy (2nd best after Chicago).

Missouri & Indiana - While I like their cities plus Johnson County in Kansas, I find these states to be too conservative for my taste. I prefer to live in a state that is reliably Democratic rather than a liberal bastion in a conservative state like Austin for Texas.

Ohio - I really like Columbus and its distance to the East Coast. However, it's too far from my family in the South. The economy in Ohio has been up and down.

If I have to narrow down to three choices in the Midwest, mine would be:

#1 Minneapolis
#2 Indianapolis
#3 Overland Park, KS near Kansas City
#4 inner suburb of St. Louis, MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.