U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:57 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,218,862 times

Advertisements

I would think Dallas would be a contender here. The city is an influence for the areas from Waco to the South, the New Mexico border to the West, and Mid-Kansas to the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 11:49 PM

233 posts, read 281,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I would think Dallas would be a contender here. The city is an influence for the areas from Waco to the South, the New Mexico border to the West, and Mid-Kansas to the North.
Possibly over past Shreveport to the east?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Chicago has a significant influence over southwest MI like the Benton Harbor area, but the eastern side of the state? lol no, not really. I'll draw the line to about Kalamazoo. That's about where the Detroit influence really starts to kick in. Same for Ohio, they kind of have their own influence as well in my experience.
I'll agree that all of the cities I mentioned definitely have their own strong identity outright on their own. No question about that - but I still hold that there is a strong enough Chicago connection, whether it be people moving back and fourth, traveling for leisure, traveling for business, or doing business in both cities - I still feel all of the cities, including Detroit, that I listed would count under the Chicago mega bubble of greater influence.

That's not to say some people in the Detroit and Cleveland areas would ever even need to go to Chicago.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
South of Waco (along the I-35 corridor), Dallas really doesn't have anywhere near as strong an influence as Austin or San Antonio does. I know this is true of the hill country as well. Going South on I-45, I'd say Dallas' influence peters out somewhere around the town of Buffalo and the Houston influence starts picking up from there.

However, yes... DFW's influence extends much further to the West, North, and East of the metro.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:55 AM

78 posts, read 102,248 times
Most of the regional capitals exertinfluences on the states around them..

Atlanta influences South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and some parts of North Florida..

Denver influences the whole Rocky mountain range..

Seattle influences the pacific Northwest etc..

Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 PM

3,656 posts, read 4,607,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
I'll agree that all of the cities I mentioned definitely have their own strong identity outright on their own. No question about that - but I still hold that there is a strong enough Chicago connection, whether it be people moving back and fourth, traveling for leisure, traveling for business, or doing business in both cities - I still feel all of the cities, including Detroit, that I listed would count under the Chicago mega bubble of greater influence.

That's not to say some people in the Detroit and Cleveland areas would ever even need to go to Chicago.
That's fair when you put it that way. I was thinking of a different sort of influence (music, culture, food, sports, ect). But I do agree with you here.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:19 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,403,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I agree with most of this but the Twin Cities aren't really part of Chicago's sphere of influence the way most of the rest of the Midwest is. Minneapolis is different enough culturally, vibrant enough, and has enough of a sense of self (or vanity) that it has carved out its own sphere.
Ugh...as I've already mentioned, by the time you hit the Wisconsin border a few miles north of the Chicago suburbs, you're already in a distinctly different cultural zone with a different primary city (Milwaukee, Madison in SW WI, Green Bay in NE WI, Wausau in Central). Minneapolis isn't in any way "special" here, it's in the same boat as Milwaukee, Detroit, Indy, St Louis, etc. So you're both wrong - Chicago is a terrible example re: the OP, as it's a very large city with comparatively little influence for its size due to many other cities with distinct cultures surrounding it.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Ugh...as I've already mentioned, by the time you hit the Wisconsin border a few miles north of the Chicago suburbs, you're already in a distinctly different cultural zone with a different primary city (Milwaukee, Madison in SW WI, Green Bay in NE WI, Wausau in Central). Minneapolis isn't in any way "special" here, it's in the same boat as Milwaukee, Detroit, Indy, St Louis, etc. So you're both wrong - Chicago is a terrible example re: the OP, as it's a very large city with comparatively little influence for its size due to many other cities with distinct cultures surrounding it.
Scroll back and see my clarification. The OP was not only referring to cultural zones - I was more talking about people moving from city to city both ways, and doing business in both places. Sports teams, while cultural, are definitely applicable in my case point as well.

You mention the WI border being a *distinctly different* cultural zone. That's most true on the small scale, however it's not a *vastly different* cultural zone. Heck, you could argue there is a *distinctly different* cultural zone from one neighborhood to another in Chicago. Don't miss the point just to prove a point.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:27 PM

779 posts, read 769,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Actually no, more people in Alabama are Saints fans, even in Birmingham there are more Saints fans than dirty bird fans.
New Orleans isn't a MAJOR city like you are asking about but it influences a huge area culturally. Houston, all of Louisiana, most of Mississippi, southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle are all culturally influenced by New Orleans and Louisiana cultural traits.
I think it depend on what type of influence the poster is talking about... For a city like New Orleans that is so rich in culture, it has a heavy influence for quite a distance even though it isn't necessarily a major city. Whereas Atlanta has a bit of identity crisis and doesn't seem to be as rich in culture... It doesn't culturally influence Birmingham the way New Orleans may influence Baton Rouge. The other thing to notice is that New Orleans was a development than Mobile... So Mobile, AL probably had a similar culture first but it overshadowed by New Orleans because it's bigger. So does NOLA really influence Southwest Alabama?

Old 11-18-2014, 05:47 PM

5,960 posts, read 7,331,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That's probably a function of being the only major metropolitan area entirely in the Appalachian Mountains geologic region. The major metropolitan areas in Ohio and along the East Coast don't have a whole lot of real estate due to their proximity to each other, but Pittsburgh has plenty to its north and south, and even somewhat to its east. As a result, it exerts its cultural and economic influence across most of western Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia, east-central Ohio and western Maryland.

Here's a list of cities and towns on the fringes of Pittsburgh's sphere that are also influenced by other spheres...

Erie, PA -- Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Cleveland
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA -- Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New York
Harrisburg, PA -- Pittsburgh and Philadelphia
Cumberland, MD -- Pittsburgh and Washington DC
Parkersburg, WV -- Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Columbus
Cambridge, OH -- Pittsburgh and Columbus
Youngstown, OH -- Pittsburgh and Cleveland
I'd say Pittsburgh has its influence in PA west of Harrisburg, northern West Virginia, some of Western Maryland, and parts of Eastern Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or