U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,734 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm in my early 30s, living in Pennsylvania. I work as an instructional designer for a university but also have a background in software support and software training. All in all I have about 6 years experience in technology, 4 being in higher education. I have a master of science degree in instructional media.

I've been thinking about moving for a long time because I grew up in PA and I long to separate myself from my roots. I had lived in New England for many years, but it is just too cold up there for me. I also lived a bit in London when I was in my early 20s (South Kensington), and I loved the neighborhood feel of that area. I'm not sure if a place like NYC would be my type of thing just because it is so busy and so expensive.

What I'm looking for:

1. A place with plenty of jobs in my field (higher education/technology/etc.)
2. Warm (I am not afraid to say goodbye to seasons - I really dislike winter)
3. Not crazily inexpensive. I would like to be able to afford an apartment to myself - nothing fancy. I'm okay with a studio - I'd rather not have a roommate at this point in my life.
4. Lots of interesting, well-educated, liberal-minded people.
5. Neighborhood feel
6. Positive/friendly vibe
7. Single people!
8. Easy to get out of the city and go on hikes, kayak trips, camping, etc.
9. Vibrant culture
10. Dog-friendly

A lot of my friends are steering me toward Austin, and it does feel like that city would meet my needs, however, I'm not really the type of person to be "on trend" fashion-wise, and I don't want to have to worry if I'm hip enough to fit in someplace. Not sure if Austin is really like that of if that is just the idea I've gotten from media outlets.

Anyway, any suggestions you can give me would be great, and any tips on what to do while considering relocating would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheKarmaGirl; 11-14-2014 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,716,908 times
Atlanta would be perfect for you. Everything you are looking for in your list is here. Plus it is not that far from PA when you need to go home. Plenty of single people are here, great culture, plenty of places to hike, great vibe, plenty of educated people, lots of IT jobs, etc

Old 11-14-2014, 11:51 PM

56,802 posts, read 81,149,048 times
I'd also look into the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of NC.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 AM

6,324 posts, read 6,994,449 times
I agree with Atlanta. Austin, Dallas and RDU very close behind. I assume #3 is supposed to say "expensive" rather than "inexpensive."

Old 11-15-2014, 06:14 AM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
There's a tendency when coming from a cold climate to say you want warm all the time, but many wind up missing the seasons....especially when faced with screaming hot weather for 7 months of the year (Texas). A well rounded four season climate without long stretches of hot or cold might be a good trade-off, just suggesting from experience. Cities like Atlanta, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill or Charlotte would be good examples in terms of touching all of your criteria.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:31 AM

Thanks, everyone! I actually have a friend who lives in Atlanta, so I'll be visiting her this spring to check it out. I'll also look into NC. I'll be visiting Austin as well this spring to compare. I don't mind the heat, really. I've lived in the NE long enough to say goodbye to seasons for good

Old 11-17-2014, 11:08 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,716,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKarmaGirl View Post
Thanks, everyone! I actually have a friend who lives in Atlanta, so I'll be visiting her this spring to check it out. I'll also look into NC. I'll be visiting Austin as well this spring to compare. I don't mind the heat, really. I've lived in the NE long enough to say goodbye to seasons for good
Post in the Atlanta forum b4 you come we can let you know where to go

Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKarmaGirl View Post
Again regarding the heat/long summers, everyone says that when they move out of a climate with long winters but many wind up regretting the 180 degree change. Look up the term "halfbackers" as it applies to those who move South from the North.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Post in the Atlanta forum b4 you come we can let you know where to go
Will do! Thanks!!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:11 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,042,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd also look into the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of NC.
All three would be suitable, but I think Durham would be best WRT housing costs and demographics. OP should keep in mind that when the area gets anything resembling winter weather events (1/4" snow, for example) they go crazy: stockpile food; inept driving; etc. A small price to pay for a nice 3 1/2 season climate, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.