U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 835 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Austin, TX. I was born and raised here but I am interested in moving because the city is growing out of control. The rent is increasing rapidly and the traffic has become unbearable.

I am interested in hearing from someone that lived in Austin and loved it but has relocated to another city/state that you love just as much or more. I would like a milder summer and a little colder winter but not too much snow/ice as I am not used to driving in those conditions.

I am interested in the East coast areas near a lake/ocean. Not interested in Florida because the weather is too hot and humid.

I am used to living in the city close to everything so I am not interested in a small town where I have to drive long distances to get to shopping/work.

Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 12:53 PM

10,433 posts, read 12,439,655 times
Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina

Old 11-14-2014, 12:56 PM

53 posts, read 54,801 times
Greenville SC close to mountains, better downtown than Austin, near two clear water lakes. 3.5 hours from beach

Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM

56,744 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Perhaps the Tidewater area of VA would be a good fit. There are 7 cities to choose from including Virginia Beach and Norfolk.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:36 AM

21,208 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina
I agree, Durham, Chapel Hill and Carrboro have a similar vibe to Austin as well...without the inflation and congestion.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:47 AM

Raleigh is pricey area with traffic issues which will get worse given it is in top 10 metroes for growth. If you are real liberal that is best metro for liberals in Carolina's.

Charleston is right at beach. Mount pleasant and Summerville are popular areas there. Columbia is state capital two hours from beach, with little lower cost of living than Charleston. Columbia had university of SC in town so similar to Austin with government and university. Also a nice big lake right there.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:59 AM

21,208 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad4 View Post
Raleigh is pricey area with traffic issues which will get worse given it is in top 10 metroes for growth. If you are real liberal that is best metro for liberals in Carolina's.
Raleigh proper is rather congested and becoming more so but the west end of the metro area (Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro) has restricted growth largely and doesn't face the same growing pains. Durham's cost of living is also below the national average.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:36 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,833,533 times
Most cities have the same problem that Austin is facing. You will have to move to a dying city in order to find all that you want and affordability.

The other option is to move to the exurbs.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:38 PM

not true, cities in SC are growing but no major traffic issues, and cost of living is reasonable. I think Huntsville Alabama is another good option if you like some hills/mountains right in town but more affordable and less traffic.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:31 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,053,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXGirl12 View Post
I currently live in Austin, TX. I was born and raised here but I am interested in moving because the city is growing out of control. The rent is increasing rapidly and the traffic has become unbearable.

I am interested in hearing from someone that lived in Austin and loved it but has relocated to another city/state that you love just as much or more. I would like a milder summer and a little colder winter but not too much snow/ice as I am not used to driving in those conditions.

I am interested in the East coast areas near a lake/ocean. Not interested in Florida because the weather is too hot and humid.

I am used to living in the city close to everything so I am not interested in a small town where I have to drive long distances to get to shopping/work.

Any thoughts???
If you want to to be *ON* the East Coast (i.e., in a coastal metro area), and you're not interested in any of the FL cities because they're too hot and humid for your liking, but you don't want to deal with snow and/or ice, then you're severely limiting yourself in terms of options.

Coastal cities in the Southeast north of FL such as Savannah, Charleston, and Myrtle Beach are just as humid as any city in FL and oftentimes much hotter, albeit for a slightly shorter amount of time (the heat usually lets up around late Sept/early Oct compared to late Oct/early Nov in South and Central FL). Thing is, those cities have significantly colder winters with a much greater potential for snow and ice than any of the FL cities.

By the time you get to cities further north along the coast in NC and certainly VA, it's almost guaranteed that you'll be dealing with snow and ice in the wintertime, despite having slightly cooler, less humid summers than cities in FL, GA, and SC.

Remember, the East Coast is very different from the West Coast with regard to weather--there's very few, if any, places that have relatively mild temperatures throughout the year. And every part of the East Coast is humid in the summertime, someplaces for longer than others.

Honestly, you have to "pick your poison"--brutally hot, humid summers with mild winters (i.e., Florida) or brutally cold winters and fairly pleasant summers (i.e., the Northeast). The areas in the middle from about Baltimore to Myrtle Beach really have it the worst, IMO--hot, humid summers and freezing cold winters. No, thanks.

You can't go wrong with the weather in coastal California, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or