U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST City to live in during a ZOMBIE Apocalypse
Houston 1 2.63%
Dallas 0 0%
Denver 2 5.26%
Orlando 0 0%
Miami 0 0%
Charlotte 1 2.63%
Phoenix 0 0%
Washington DC 2 5.26%
Atlanta 0 0%
Seattle 3 7.89%
San Francisco 1 2.63%
San Diego 0 0%
Portland 1 2.63%
Tampa 1 2.63%
Minneapolis 7 18.42%
Los Angeles 1 2.63%
Sacramento 0 0%
Boston 1 2.63%
New York 2 5.26%
Philadelphia 1 2.63%
Chicago 2 5.26%
St Louis 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 2.63%
Detroit 1 2.63%
Cleveland 1 2.63%
Other 7 18.42%
I don't know 1 2.63%
None 9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:14 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,426,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
if you're in good shape, pick a city in the south where the obesity rate is around 30%. Plenty of slow-moving out of shape food to keep the hordes satiated.
Too funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
New York City would be a deathtrap. Too many people = too many zombies. Subways would be a no go, projects/buildings would be overrun. Maybe if people bunkered in the Intrepid, just offshore? Still, would need a ton of supplies.
Although if you had a large residential building, I think you could make a go of it. Most New Yorkers stay in their apartments with the doors locked and have a water tower on the roof. As long as you don't leave the building, you can survive.

Since the doors are locked, all you have to do is secure the door to the building, and clear all hallways and stairwells of strays. Find the superintendent first so you have all the keys, then secure the penthouse as your base. Then you can scavenge one apartment at a time. Take out the occupants, toss them and the rotting fridge food out the window, then hit up the pantry and closets.

Then when winter comes you will have plenty of food, water, and trade goods to make your escape to a less populated area.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,523,973 times
Portland. The zombies would become vegan and hover around a kale-based food truck.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,478,371 times
please go find something to do beside ask this question.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 AM

589 posts, read 617,602 times
Default Kidding

Chicago obviously.
Lots of guns
Loosely populated ghettos
Houses already boarded up

Old 11-17-2014, 12:55 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,345,850 times
Anchorage, so the zombies would freeze.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
I would say Seattle, if only for the proximity of the San Juan Islands. Zombies can't swim, you know.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:30 PM

368 posts, read 307,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I would say Seattle, if only for the proximity of the San Juan Islands. Zombies can't swim, you know.
Beat me to it. I'd want to be somewhere with plenty of fishing options and wide open spaces on land as to avoid any surprise attacks. Seattle would be nice, not too much heat in summer so you won't tire yourself out as easily like you would in Florida or Arizona and not too frigid in winter so you can focus entirely on zombies versus zombies AND occasionally hiding to protect yourself from the elements and keep yourself warm like you would in Minnesota or Maine. Sure, zombies would enjoy the same climate advantages, but I just wouldn't want to be somewhere where you'd have to kill a hundred or more a day. I don't like those odds as I'm sure nobody would. It'd just be a matter of time. I'd want comfort and security knowing that I could relax for stretches at a time without having to worry about possibly being attacked.

Plus, think of it this way. Wouldn't the demand for bullets be so high that eventually, people would start literally attacking and/or killing others for them? I'd be just as scared and uneasy of human beings in general as I would of zombies in an apocalypse.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Although if you had a large residential building, I think you could make a go of it. Most New Yorkers stay in their apartments with the doors locked and have a water tower on the roof. As long as you don't leave the building, you can survive.

Since the doors are locked, all you have to do is secure the door to the building, and clear all hallways and stairwells of strays. Find the superintendent first so you have all the keys, then secure the penthouse as your base. Then you can scavenge one apartment at a time. Take out the occupants, toss them and the rotting fridge food out the window, then hit up the pantry and closets.

Then when winter comes you will have plenty of food, water, and trade goods to make your escape to a less populated area.
Have you seen World War Z? Large residential buildings are deathtraps. Most have narrow hallways, multiple points of entry to defend, stairwells, etc. Depends on the type of zombie we're talking about here, I guess, but most apartment/project doors would be broken down by a decent sized horde--which there would be many, given NYC's population density and amount of people living vertically. If the building was secured, though, I can see your point, but that's a big IF--lots of zombies to take out first. And that first floor will be difficult to constantly defend.

Aircraft carriers and small islands would be the safest bet in any scenario. Unless we have the kind of zombies that can walk on the ocean floor, like in the book WWZ. If that's the case, just aircraft carriers and mountainous regions are sure bets.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:33 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Are people really arguing about the reanimation of dead people? Like that will ever happen. You guys watch too much Walking Dead. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.