U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST City to live in during a ZOMBIE Apocalypse
Houston 1 2.63%
Dallas 0 0%
Denver 2 5.26%
Orlando 0 0%
Miami 0 0%
Charlotte 1 2.63%
Phoenix 0 0%
Washington DC 2 5.26%
Atlanta 0 0%
Seattle 3 7.89%
San Francisco 1 2.63%
San Diego 0 0%
Portland 1 2.63%
Tampa 1 2.63%
Minneapolis 7 18.42%
Los Angeles 1 2.63%
Sacramento 0 0%
Boston 1 2.63%
New York 2 5.26%
Philadelphia 1 2.63%
Chicago 2 5.26%
St Louis 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 2.63%
Detroit 1 2.63%
Cleveland 1 2.63%
Other 7 18.42%
I don't know 1 2.63%
None 9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:27 AM

15,592 posts, read 17,836,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Are people really arguing about the reanimation of dead people? Like that will ever happen. You guys watch too much Walking Dead. lol

Consider it an intellectual exercise. A conceit designed for exercising problem solving skills. When you were a kid sitting in math class did you really think your adulthood would consist of calculating when two trains would meet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Have you seen World War Z? Large residential buildings are deathtraps. Most have narrow hallways, multiple points of entry to defend, stairwells, etc. Depends on the type of zombie we're talking about here, I guess, but most apartment/project doors would be broken down by a decent sized horde--which there would be many, given NYC's population density and amount of people living vertically. If the building was secured, though, I can see your point, but that's a big IF--lots of zombies to take out first. And that first floor will be difficult to constantly defend.

Aircraft carriers and small islands would be the safest bet in any scenario. Unless we have the kind of zombies that can walk on the ocean floor, like in the book WWZ. If that's the case, just aircraft carriers and mountainous regions are sure bets.
I haven't seen World War Z. From the trailers it appeared the zombies are different from the ones I am imagining which are much more along the lines of Romero zombies.

At any rate, the bottom floor could be pretty well secured by simply using furniture and other debris/fill from upperfloors to literally fill all the negative space. The narrow halls would actually make defense easier because you have complete control over direction of attack (opponents can only approach from front or behind) and you can easily set up choke points.

At any rate you only have to deal with people who have become zombified while in the public spaces of the building. Even in a large residential tower this is not a huge number. Most of the residents are behind locked doors.

Of course this also assumes I have made a stealthy entrance and don't have five thousand zombies chasing me as I entered the building. If you are already on the radar, you are already dead.

I think the challenges up front in this scenario are great, but would pay dividends once you are able to secure the building. Comparatively, a suburban neighborhood of 1/16 - 1/4 acre plots that many smaller cities consist of would be much more dangerous. More unlocked doors and the constant need to expose one's self outdoors going from house to house scavenging.

I am not arguing, by any means, that inhabiting a superdense city is an ideal survival strategy. I am just working through how I would deal with it if I were unlucky enough to be in one when a zombie event occured.

Personally, I would like to be in an exurban area with a lot of mixed terrain/forest and enough houses in the area to find materials and food until the zombie population disintegrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 12:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,069,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Here's the scenario....suddenly a deadly potent strain of virus takes the U.S. by storm and turns the country into a scene straight out of "Dawn Of The Dead".

So, what major USA city would be best to be in to survive?
Honolulu HI

Old 11-19-2014, 12:23 PM

6,547 posts, read 7,506,808 times
What is with the whole zombie thing? I don't get it, and strangely it seems that some young people almost believe this could happen. I watched WWZ, good movie but come on now, this stuff is NOT REAL folks. There is no zombie virus, no zombies. I cant believe in 21rst century America that we have people who actually believe in zombies. About a year ago two little girls tried to kill another to please a demon called the slender man who was created on the internet. What is wrong with the kids today that they are actually believing this stuff?

Old 11-19-2014, 12:37 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,527,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What is wrong with the kids today that they are actually believing this stuff?
Sadly, yes. These disillusioned youngsters are absolutely bonkers.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
What is with the whole zombie thing? I don't get it,
Well, you could read the post located right before the one just above yours where I explained it. But since I don't expect you to filter through two posts to find an obscure reference, I'll quote it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Consider it an intellectual exercise. A conceit designed for exercising problem solving skills. When you were a kid sitting in math class did you really think your adulthood would consist of calculating when two trains would meet?
And to expand on that, it is entertainment; a fun way to discuss the differences between U.S. cities through an artificial context.

Quote:
and strangely it seems that some young people almost believe this could happen. I watched WWZ, good movie but come on now, this stuff is NOT REAL folks. There is no zombie virus, no zombies. I cant believe in 21rst century America that we have people who actually believe in zombies. About a year ago two little girls tried to kill another to please a demon called the slender man who was created on the internet. What is wrong with the kids today that they are actually believing this stuff?
No one in this thread has even remotely suggested that zombies are real, so I don't see how that is even germane to the discussion.

If you want to discuss the impact of popular culture on the behavior of deranged individuals, try the psychology forum. While you are there, bring up how for centuries, and even up to this day, people have believed that demons from the Bible are real and have tortured and killed people they believed were possessed by these demons.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 11-19-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 03:48 PM

645 posts, read 614,892 times
I hate Walking Dead/Breaking Bad. Two of the most rubbish shows ever made. There is said it out in public!

If it did happen, I would take a flight to Europe! Sunny beaches of Mallorca!

The only outbreak that can happen is botulinum. Then the whole world is not safe. We all die in a few days, so cities don't matter!

Old 11-19-2014, 03:53 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,820,843 times
Somewhere in Alaska. Or maybe the DC area because all of the military and government

Old 11-19-2014, 05:24 PM

21,457 posts, read 22,012,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Have you seen World War Z? Large residential buildings are deathtraps. Most have narrow hallways, multiple points of entry to defend, stairwells, etc. Depends on the type of zombie we're talking about here, I guess, but most apartment/project doors would be broken down by a decent sized horde--which there would be many, given NYC's population density and amount of people living vertically. If the building was secured, though, I can see your point, but that's a big IF--lots of zombies to take out first. And that first floor will be difficult to constantly defend.

Aircraft carriers and small islands would be the safest bet in any scenario. Unless we have the kind of zombies that can walk on the ocean floor, like in the book WWZ. If that's the case, just aircraft carriers and mountainous regions are sure bets.
what exactly happens to a zombie that goes swimming and won't the one's that follow eventually be able to walk across them if enough them go first?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what exactly happens to a zombie that goes swimming and won't the one's that follow eventually be able to walk across them if enough them go first?
Zombies float. They should float even better than living people because they are full of gases resulting from decomposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.