Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,214 times

Advertisements

I'm ready to make a change in life and I'm hoping to hear your opinions on what city might suit me best. I currently live in San Diego and I'm not a fan (originally from the Northeast). SD is beautiful, yes, but it's expensive, and the people seem to be pretty flaky/superficial. Also seems like a big party/beach town, and it's somewhat similar to groundhog day, as the weather is generally the same all the time. Here is what I'm looking for:

Location: I'm looking for something out West/Southwest/Rockies, however, if another city fits what I'm looking for I would definitely consider that as well. I won't go back to the Northeast though.

Weather- I need sun- I can't live without it. Additionally, I prefer to live somewhere hot/warm, but I'm able to live somewhere that gets cold, if needed.

Friendly People- I would also like to live in an area where people are friendly & educated. I'm hoping to settle somewhere and get a social circle established. People who love the outdoors and people who are interested in things other than themselves are a HUGE plus.

Jobs- I take risks and I'm planning on moving without a job or an apartment. I've done it before, and I understand that I'll need to start at the bottom and work my way up. Ideally, I'd like a city that has a low unemployment rate so it would be a bit easier to find something until I get more established.

Walkability- My preferred method of transportation is walking, and I'm hoping to live in a city that's walkable. Not at the top of my list, but something to think about.

Additional Info About Me- I need to live somewhere that I can be myself. I love anything outdoors- hiking, running, camping, exploring downtown, paddle boarding, photography, and so on. I need a city where I would be able to do those things within a 2 hour drive. Additionally, I'm gay. I don't necessarily need a city that's super LGBT friendly, just one where I won't feel uncomfortable/worried.

I think that's about it...my top priorities are good/outdoorsy people, and plenty of nearby hiking (mountains, not hills or easy trails. I like to HIKE). I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:31 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Without a doubt I would say Boulder CO which can be pricey, but coming from San Diego will not raise an eyebrow most likely. It hits every single point of your criteria in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:39 PM

Thanks, Kyle. Boulder had caught my attention before, and I was curious about Denver as well. I think it's a good option, as I heard you could spend a lifetime exploring Colorado. Have you lived in Boulder?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:29 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I have not lived in Boulder, but I have a cousin who I would visit often who lived there and loved it immensely, as do I. She cried when she had to move (her job) and still misses it greatly.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:27 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,929 times
I can tell you more about Las Vegas since it seems to be a great match with a few of your requirements.

The location is ideal as it sits in the Southwest.

Weather in Las Vegas matches your criteria perfectly. Not only is it warm and dry, but you also get 300 sunny days a year here.

Friendly people... Now it isn't going to be upper Midwest friendly, but you have to keep in mind that Vegas is a major spot for transplants. People are CHOOSING to move here, which sets the overall tone of the city itself. There are a lot of retirees here who are spending the sunset of their lives in Vegas as well.
I also think having so much sunlight plays a part on people's moods as well. When I was living in the Midwest and you would go 3, 4, 5 days without seeing the Sun, it began to take it's toll and become depressing and demoralizing.

As far as jobs go, Vegas does have a high unemployment rate, but at the same time, there is plenty of work out there if you want it... If that makes any sense. Call it a product of the environment. Very easy to spend money in this city and people who dont have any will power succumb to it.

Walkability is Vegas' weakest attribute on your list. It is a desert town and it's density is only average. Combine that with the heat in the Summer and walking around will probably get old after a while.

X Factors...

Vegas has an extremely low cost of living... Especially when compared to California. Nevada does not have a state income tax here and property/rent is very low as well.

Vegas is surrounded by mountains that are loaded with parks and hiking. The hiking ranges from the easy breezy to extremely strenuous.

You will have insane amounts of photography opportunities here... Whether you specialize in urban/skyline or nature, we have plenty of both. Red Rock, Mt. Charleston and Valley of Fire state parks are all within a one-hour drive from anywhere in Vegas and provide fantastic photo opportunities.

As I'm sure you know, Las Vegas is a pretty open minded place... Your sexual orientation wouldn't be a foreign thing here.

The number of college graduates in Vegas since the year 2000 has increased by about 75%... Which I believe is second in the entire country.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 PM

Yeah, I do hear great things about Boulder. It's definitely in the running!

Hi Vegas- yes, your post definitely helps! I'm very intrigued by Vegas, especially because it's literally in the middle of all the national parks that interest me. I could be wrong, but I imagine it's pretty easy to fly anywhere in the country from Vegas as well? The only reservation I have are the people there. I have heard that the people in Vegas are very difficult to connect with and that they tend to build walls to "outsiders." I also heard that it's very "party." At this point in my life, I'm also open to finding someone who I can build a life with, and who's looking for a committed relationship. I have to question if I'd find that in Vegas...

Anyone know anything about Phoenix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.