U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:18 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,831,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Jewish people tend to be very successful, every Jewish person in my family is a Doctor, lawyer or Business executive. They tend to be fully integrated into being successful in mainstream culture because they tend to value education more than any other ethnic group.
The same with Asians. Education and a code of conduct (respect and manners).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:52 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,105,585 times
Depends. There are a lot of Jews who aren't White (North African/Middle Eastern Jews, Jews from Ethiopia and Uganda, converts of different races). People in the West, particularly the US, tend to forget that Ashkenazi Jews aren't the only kinds of Jews that exist.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,990,712 times
The answer is yes. If you live in a general cosmopolitan city, you will probably pass by a number of jewish folks and never think of them as anything but regular white people.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,991 posts, read 42,026,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
The answer is yes. If you live in a general cosmopolitan city, you will probably pass by a number of jewish folks and never think of them as anything but regular white people.
New York City is cosmopolitan. I've wandered around Brooklyn and passed by lots of Jewish folks that didn't seem like regular white people.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:21 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,525,539 times
I believe so, except for the Orthodox Jews, but I also don't believe the Orthodox (or extremely religious) of any religion in America are quite as integrated. Are the Amish integrated? If they were, people wouldn't go to Lancaster County, "Amish Country," just to see (gawk at ahem) how they live. How about people like those on Sister Wives, involved in polygamy? If they were fully integrated, their lives wouldn't be interesting and taboo enough to be the topic of a reality show.

I knew an Orthodox Jewish girl as a kid, and her mom never wore short sleeved anything, even in the summer and I actually knew her from annual beach vacations so every year I saw her in August at the beach, her mom never wore anything less than a long black dress. On Saturdays, they could not use electricity. I have no issue with this lifestyle but it's definitely not part of mainstream American culture. They were a minority in their orthodoxy.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:20 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,977,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowings View Post
That's because they're more intelligent. This isn't just a societal myth it's backed up by scientific evidence. The average I.Q for an Ashkenazi Jew starts at 115 (for a Caucasian it's 97-100). They're incredibly blessed. This is why I believe they have always elicited a lot of jealousy.
Controversial, much? This is for another thread, but racial differences in groups are due to numerous factors, not just genetics.

The Bell Curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Race and intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Flynn effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back to the thread, yes, most Jewish Americans are fully integrated, but there does remain a significant minority who self-segregate. In my opinion, not much different than every other group, if mainstream white culture is the barometer of Americaness.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:43 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,616,369 times
I think they are integrated as a subset of Caucasians, similar to Polish-Americans or Italian-Americans.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,227,969 times
to some degree

Old 11-17-2014, 02:56 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,227,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowings View Post
That's because they're more intelligent. This isn't just a societal myth it's backed up by scientific evidence. The average I.Q for an Ashkenazi Jew starts at 115 (for a Caucasian it's 97-100). They're incredibly blessed. This is why I believe they have always elicited a lot of jealousy.
I work with science (I physics and chemistry) and what you're saying is false, as a scientist of 14 years I can assure you there is no scientific evidence that proves races exist, much less scientific evidence that proves people are more intelligent according to their origin.

For a scientific claim to be true, there needs to be a hypothesis related to an OBJECTIVE THEORY that has to be proven several times and intelligence cannot be proven, nor can you prove a person belong to X race simply because race is SUBJECTIVE, not objective!

what you claim is called non-science in the scientific world (basically claiming something subjective like intelligence or beauty belongs to certain people more than others)

The reason Jewish score higher in America than other ethnic groups, is because the jewish culture places a lot of emphasis on studying..... You can take any child and teach him to place huge importance on learning and studying and they'll become doctors, lawyers, surgeons and more!!! There is nothing genetic about it.

By the way, College degrees do not equal intelligence either!!! I know plenty of college grads who are complete buffoons!

As far as Asians being super smart, that is another ignorant American myth. The
average Asian in America is often more educated than the average Asian back in Asia (and that is mostly due to the fact US immigration only allows certain Asian individuals from certain demographics to migrate to America)

Races do not exist, science itself will tell you that!

Old 11-17-2014, 03:31 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,977,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I work with science (I physics and chemistry) and what you're saying is false, as a scientist of 14 years I can assure you there is no scientific evidence that proves races exist, much less scientific evidence that proves people are more intelligent according to their origin.

For a scientific claim to be true, there needs to be a hypothesis related to an OBJECTIVE THEORY that has to be proven several times and intelligence cannot be proven, nor can you prove a person belong to X race simply because race is SUBJECTIVE, not objective!

what you claim is called non-science in the scientific world (basically claiming something subjective like intelligence or beauty belongs to certain people more than others)

The reason Jewish score higher in America than other ethnic groups, is because the jewish culture places a lot of emphasis on studying..... You can take any child and teach him to place huge importance on learning and studying and they'll become doctors, lawyers, surgeons and more!!! There is nothing genetic about it.

By the way, College degrees do not equal intelligence either!!! I know plenty of college grads who are complete buffoons!

As far as Asians being super smart, that is another ignorant American myth. The
average Asian in America is often more educated than the average Asian back in Asia (and that is mostly due to the fact US immigration only allows certain Asian individuals from certain demographics to migrate to America)

Races do not exist, science itself will tell you that!
Bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or