U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:56 AM

7,442 posts, read 9,899,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
so you can tell a jew from any other white person?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Excluding the outwardly religious, I'd say most Ashkenazim (and a good number of Sephardim) could be pegged for any number of Mediterranean ethnicities, though there are plenty who either pass as Gentile without issue or can be immediately pegged as Jews by those familiar with stereotypical Jewish traits.

As a group, American Ashkenazi (and many Sephardi) Jews enjoy white privilege. But no Jew has Gentile privilege, the ramifications of which are more strongly pronounced in Europe but far from absent here in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 07:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,758,514 times
What do you mean by mainstream white culture? If you mean the middle and upper classes of cosmopolitan cities, then I'd say they're integrated but not assimilated. If you mean the "Sarah Palin constituency", then no.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 PM

363 posts, read 619,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
What do you mean by mainstream white culture? If you mean the middle and upper classes of cosmopolitan cities, then I'd say they're integrated but not assimilated. If you mean the "Sarah Palin constituency", then no.
I think most middle class americans aren't in the Sarah Palin constituency. Thats the lower class evangelical uneducated demographic

Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,758,514 times
My point exactly, it's working class and lower middle class red state, small town, "Middle America."

Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,541,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
I think most middle class americans aren't in the Sarah Palin constituency. Thats the lower class evangelical uneducated demographic
Sure, because most lower class uneducated people become state governors.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:38 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,229,727 times
what exactly is white american culture anyways?

suburban living, vote republican, fear Jesus because he loves you so he's gonna make you suffer and kill you, black people moved into the neighborhood let's move!!!, I am not racist because I smile at mexicans when I come across one???

I don't think there is black, white, latino, and so on culture in the US

if you live abroad and you look at Americans in general, you'll see a lot of traits that are easily part all of America's ethnic groups

Other than shallow generalities like X person skin color is a bit darker than Y's, you can pretty much say Americans as a whole are pretty indistinguishable from one another to the foreign eye.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:27 AM

363 posts, read 619,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Sure, because most lower class uneducated people become state governors.
Its not that she is stupid but I think she panders to that demographic. Is she a genius, no but she probably has some intelligence. Its like Bush 43. Not smart but he did something right (and yes his birth played a part in it, but he's no Billy Madison)

Old 11-18-2014, 07:29 AM

671 posts, read 668,132 times
What the hell is "white" culture? Your a racist dude.....You think in color....

Old 11-18-2014, 07:55 AM

12,456 posts, read 11,963,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
what exactly is white american culture anyways?
White culture is the "absence" of culture. It means your culture is the American default - so much so that unless you travel abroad you don't even realize you have a culture.

As an example appropriate to the thread, there is an old Jewish stereotype that Gentiles eat sandwiches with mayo on them, and Jews eat sandwiches with mustard. Most people wouldn't think of mayo (which I personally find disgusting) as being a cultural symbol, because they are raised in a culture where it is a universal thing put on a cold sandwich.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:24 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,502,634 times
Why do you want everyone to have a white american mentality?

Haven't you all done enough damage to other cultures?

I mean really, do you think white americans are perfect?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or