U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2014, 09:48 AM
 
32,167 posts, read 33,082,831 times
Reputation: 14996

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
People often identify Jews as a separate demographic, but are they really different from mainstream White America?
Except for the Ultra-Orthodox and/or Hassidic Jews, I would say that in general Jews are fully integrated into mainstream white culture for better or for worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Boston
2,077 posts, read 2,011,983 times
Reputation: 1774
..... (warning: explicit content)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFVtamh2dNU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 10:38 AM
 
12,701 posts, read 10,555,677 times
Reputation: 17630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Why do you want everyone to have a white american mentality?

Haven't you all done enough damage to other cultures?

I mean really, do you think white americans are perfect?


I haven't damaged anyone's culture and I think it's perfectly fine to have my own and to have a "white American mentality" because I am a white American. So are most Jews in America - white Americans.

There is nothing wrong with being a white American or having our own culture despite ethnicity and religion differences. And I don't appreciate the notion that "all" white Americans have "damaged other cultures." Please.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 11-18-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 AM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,510,646 times
Reputation: 3411
^ Sorry. I was not referring to anything you said. I was addressing the op.

What made you think I was asking you? I have no beef with you, Jerseygirl415.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 AM
 
12,701 posts, read 10,555,677 times
Reputation: 17630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ Sorry. I was not referring to anything you said. I was addressing the op.
I know - but I am a white American and saying "all" is a little frustrating. There IS a general white culture in America, IMO, which to me is totally fine because there are other cultures matching other races and especially ethnicities. I believe culture comes more down to ethnicity and religion than anything else, but I also believe there is an overall typical "white" culture that most Jews, as Jews are mostly white, would fall under. If the OP is asking if Jews "blend in" with other whites despite not being Christian, then yes I think they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,761,361 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
White culture is the "absence" of culture. It means your culture is the American default - so much so that unless you travel abroad you don't even realize you have a culture.

As an example appropriate to the thread, there is an old Jewish stereotype that Gentiles eat sandwiches with mayo on them, and Jews eat sandwiches with mustard. Most people wouldn't think of mayo (which I personally find disgusting) as being a cultural symbol, because they are raised in a culture where it is a universal thing put on a cold sandwich.
I'm a Jewish atheist and I definitely prefer mustard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,121,609 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
White culture is the "absence" of culture. It means your culture is the American default - so much so that unless you travel abroad you don't even realize you have a culture.

As an example appropriate to the thread, there is an old Jewish stereotype that Gentiles eat sandwiches with mayo on them, and Jews eat sandwiches with mustard. Most people wouldn't think of mayo (which I personally find disgusting) as being a cultural symbol, because they are raised in a culture where it is a universal thing put on a cold sandwich.
I disagree with your first statement. You act as if American culture=White culture, and that all Whites are the same. That's insulting to many Americans who aren't White. It goes back to why so many, most recently and notably, Raven, hate the term "African-American". We're Black--no recent or noteworthy ties to Africa despite where our ancestors are from. We're American. Nobody calls White people "European-Americans".

I think it's also dumb to say or imply that all White culture is the same. English is different from German is different from Spanish is different from Greek is different from Polish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,121,609 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Why do you want everyone to have a white american mentality?

Haven't you all done enough damage to other cultures?

I mean really, do you think white americans are perfect?


You can't blame all Whites, especially most these days when conquering brown people doesn't happen anymore in the name of "White Burden", for the atrocities of centuries past. Besides, there are other racial groups that have done damage to other cultures besides Whites. Arabs did a number on Black Africans during the Slave Trade and in Sudan. They also ruined the culture of ancient Babylonia, Persia, and tried to do the same to India (slaughtering people who were Hindu or Zoroastrian simply because they refused to convert to Islam).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,510,646 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
You can't blame all Whites, especially most these days when conquering brown people doesn't happen anymore in the name of "White Burden", for the atrocities of centuries past. Besides, there are other racial groups that have done damage to other cultures besides Whites. Arabs did a number on Black Africans during the Slave Trade and in Sudan. They also ruined the culture of ancient Babylonia, Persia, and tried to do the same to India (slaughtering people who were Hindu or Zoroastrian simply because they refused to convert to Islam).
And they still are, plus the white man is bombing them back to the stone ages, so whites are still doing dirt with the help of other americans. You don't get off that easy, but sorry if you were offended. I apologize but will you?


Nevermind, you are Hawaiian or something, right? If so, I don't know why you even told me this, because bad things happened to your people too, but maybe you want us to forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,121,609 times
Reputation: 2136
What do I have to apologize for? Keep in mind that I'm also half Native American/Black, and Jewish as well. Even so, my dad's family (the White half) immigrated here from Russia. They didn't do anything to Blacks here or Natives, so they have nothing to apologize for. I'm so sick of these liberals who are so politically correct that they'll apologize for being White (even when the vast majority of them did nothing wrong) and criticize Whites and Christians to no end, yet will proceed to be hypocrites and never criticize Muslims or non-Whites, even if they are in the wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top