U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2014, 02:43 PM
 
6,871 posts, read 7,743,304 times
Reputation: 2971

Advertisements

People often identify Jews as a separate demographic, but are they really different from mainstream White America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2014, 02:51 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 1,715,466 times
Reputation: 913
What is mainstream white America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 03:49 PM
 
5,441 posts, read 5,684,997 times
Reputation: 2405
If white mainstream culture is pop culture, mainstream media, then I say the Jewish americans control white mainstream culture.












Because they play a prominent role in that industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge
20,901 posts, read 22,770,975 times
Reputation: 8641
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
People often identify Jews as a separate demographic, but are they really different from mainstream White America?
For 90%+ then yes. For the other 10% they tend to separate themselves from everyone which includes the other 90%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,610,006 times
Reputation: 4778
Jewish people tend to be very successful, every Jewish person in my family is a Doctor, lawyer or Business executive. They tend to be fully integrated into being successful in mainstream culture because they tend to value education more than any other ethnic group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 07:24 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 1,715,466 times
Reputation: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Jewish people tend to be very successful, every Jewish person in my family is a Doctor, lawyer or Business executive. They tend to be fully integrated into being successful in mainstream culture because they tend to value education more than any other ethnic group.
I agree as a fellow Jew. Spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 08:14 PM
 
363 posts, read 575,570 times
Reputation: 275
What is mainstream white culture? I live in Nebraska and while I consider myself white, I'm a white ethnic since my ancestors on my dad's side didn't emigrate here until the 1880's from Czechoslovakia. That being said most white ethnics today fit in with whatever white culture is. I do think that they are in a sense separate in that Jews have their own ethnic customs and traditions like Irish Americans or Italians or Polish or Germans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 12:10 AM
 
1,640 posts, read 1,916,267 times
Reputation: 2490
The only place I've ever lived where Jewish-Americans displayed a strong tendency towards inclusion was Boca Raton, FL (AKA "The Promised Land").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,584 posts, read 1,833,017 times
Reputation: 1140
My husband is white. His family being jewish doesn't change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,262 posts, read 57,475,944 times
Reputation: 52153
Must bea slow day in City Data land. Dumb questions and irrational premises are rampant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top