U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 PM

9,438 posts, read 18,355,294 times

Advertisements

The two most under represented states in these forums are Alaska and Hawaii. They don't generate a lot of discussion here. However they are undoubtedly two of the most outstanding states in terms of topography, scenery, culture, people, and food in this country with a vastly different history than the rest as well. They are quite the distance from the rest of the country and exploring other countries abroad are more accessible to many residing in the 48 contiguous states, so there is an isolation factor about them. Both states are places I would like to visit more often though and they deliver an exceptional vacation experience, albeit an expensive one.

This is a thread all about Alaska and Hawaii to discuss your experiences there, or perhaps desire to visit if you haven't been and the reasons why.

Alaska
Have you been there?:
Would you go back?:
Rate the food and culture:
Scenery/Attractions:
Your impression of the people:
Favorite city/town/destination:

Hawaii
Have you been there?:
Would you go back?:
Rate the food and culture:
Scenery/Attractions:
Your impression of the people:
Favorite city/town/island:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 08:33 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,724,605 times
I've been to both. I prefer Alaska. I've been many times.

Yes, I'd go back to Alaska. It's the last of the American Frontier.

Food - Well I'm not that fond of seafood......Mooseburgers are great though.

Native Culture - Simply amazing.

Scenery - Outstanding - in all seasons.

People - they are all different. But generally all very proud of their state and friendly.

Favorite City/Destination - well being largest state with great diversity that's hard to say. Anchorage is beautiful. The Kenai Peninsula drop dead gorgeous...........Denali......breathtaking.......

Hawaii....yes, I'll probably go back. I've been 4 times.

Food........don't like poi...but otherwise it's fine.

Native Culture - interesting.....and sometimes a little confusing

Scenery - it's pretty, but I've seen prettier island nations.

People - mixed bag. Some are very insular.

Favorite destination - probably Kauai.......not as crowded

Old 11-15-2014, 08:50 PM

28 posts, read 25,949 times
In 95 i spent a couple months on Oahu in hawaii. I LOVED it. i stayed with a military relative. i was 19 so i learned to surf, ran a lot, got certified in scuba diving. one of the happiest times of my life. When i moved back i would sometimes dream about living there again. I've never got back.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:22 PM

268 posts, read 345,796 times
I lived on Maui briefly after college and LOVED it. Since then, I've been to Kauai, which is a more rural, and I think more beautiful, island. There's roosters walking around and they wake you up in the morning. Also visited Oahu, which is most like the mainland. It's crowded and very touristy.

The south shores of the islands are typically sunnier with the north shores getting more rain. The north shores are my favorite because they're incredibly lush and beautiful.

Each island has special things about it. Hawaiian culture is very spiritual and reverent of the land and I really appreciated that. There can be tension because some natives don't like white people, known as haole (howlie) since we stole their land. You won't notice this as a tourist, it's just interesting to note. The food is good with fresh fish and other delicious food.

My favorite towns are Paia on Maui, a littl surfer town at the start of Hana highway, and Hanalei, on the north shore of Kauai. I will definitely go back. I'd like to go every year, but it doesn't work out. In fact Im going this summer. It's currently my favorite place on Earth.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:02 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
Lived in both, but I was a baby in Alaska, so I can't comment much. It looks beautiful and I want to visit, but knowing how much I detest cold weather, I know I'd prefer Hawaii.

I was born in Honolulu and raised there till I was 5, been back twice since. Love it! Love the beaches, scenery, weather, food, the people are really friendly. Honestly, I think the whole thing on C-D about Natives hating White people is exaggerated. My dad's White, and never had a problem with any of the Pacific Islander or Asian people there. No racism towards him at all. You may find some Natives that hate Whites in the poorer areas, but there's racism everywhere.

I've been to the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, the Dominican Republic, Los Cabos, Cancun...they're all nice, but none compare to Hawaii. There's just something about the Aloha Spirit. Everyone should go at least once in their lifetime.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:11 PM

601 posts, read 712,925 times
Alaska
I live here. Food is good if you like fresh seafood. Anchorage has a pretty decent food scene. Lots of native culture within the state.

Scenery is unmatched IMO. I've been here 20 years and still am amazed.

People are genuine, not phoney or materialistic.

Favorite town or city, really difficult because there are probably a dozen I really enjoy. I like the smaller coastal cities/towns the best as in Juneau, Sitka, Haines, Valdez. Also really like Talkeetna which will remind you of Northern Exposure.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:32 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,472,173 times
Alaska
Have you been there?: Lived
Would you go back?: Maybe but probably not
Rate the food and culture: Food 1/10, Culture 3/10
Scenery/Attractions: 10/10 scenery, 8/10 attractions
Your impression of the people: Very mixed in every way. Ethnically more diverse than Portland. People are mostly friendly but some aren't of course. Lots of military around Anchorage and Fairbanks. Lots of transplants from all over the world.
Favorite city/town/destination: Brooks Range, Tok, Haines, Coldfoot, Fairbanks, Prince William Sound, Katmai National Park (especially)

Hawaii
Have you been there?: Yes
Would you go back?: Yes
Rate the food and culture: Food 5/10, Culture 6/10
Scenery/Attractions: 10/10 scenery, 8/10 attractions
Your impression of the people: Very friendly for the most part.
Favorite city/town/island: I've only been to Oahu...twice. But my favourite would not be Oahu. Maybe the big island.

Honolulu reminds me of Anchorage a LOT. Both are the armpits of each state.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:16 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Visited both on vacation. I would like to go bum around Alaska more with a car, drive into the interior.

I loved hawaii, I'm sure I'll be back again on vacation the next few years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or