U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 AM

775 posts, read 844,860 times

Advertisements

In the Midwest, Chicago easily. You have the Tri-State Tollway, Chicago Skyway/Indiana Toll Road, Jane Addams Memorial Tollway, Veterans Memorial Tollway, and Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway. The next closest in the region is the Twin Cities with three. Elsewhere, the only other real midwestern toll roads are the Kansas, Indiana, and Ohio Turnpikes. Still, considering that Chicago has no big bridges or tunnels (outside of downtown), that's a lot of tolls for a region that's flat, and definitely as a way to charge the suburban/rural community to finance the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 AM

4,270 posts, read 5,493,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Still, considering that Chicago has no big bridges or tunnels (outside of downtown), that's a lot of tolls for a region that's flat, and definitely as a way to charge the suburban/rural community to finance the state.
...or to pay for roads that lots of people use.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:48 PM

9,443 posts, read 18,359,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
LA and San Fran have them
The bridge crossings over the Bay have tolls in the SF area. LA has very few tolls, I think mainly just a localized freeway in Orange County, otherwise most of the primary freeways around LA are toll free.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:28 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,531,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, I drive up and down the east coast all the time and when I do, my EZ pass has to replenish it itself almost daily. Many tolls in the NYC area are in the teens.
Yeah, that's the Hudson River crossings - PANYNJ/MTA controlled bridges and tunnels that are sometimes in the teens. It's ridiculous. But having an EZpass and passing each bridge/tunnel a certain number of times a month gives you a big discount so that's nice for commuters or people with family between the states who go over a lot.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:39 PM

13,226 posts, read 17,981,442 times
Toll highways: Coming soon to a state near you!

I don't mind toll highways, actually. Paying by use is the most sensible way to fund infrastructure. There should be more toll highways; that way states don't have to rely on the useless federal government to keep the Highway Trust Fund solvent. Furthermore, their toll dollars won't end up 10 states away to build a fourth beltway around a city while the road they drive on crumbles.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,143,619 times
Metro Denver has a few. The E470/Northwest Pkwy beltway and HOV lanes on I-25. Yes, I've used E470 to get to the airport from Colorado Springs. Less traffic, a little quicker, but darned expensive.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:13 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
The most annoying toll has to be the coin only toll heading into Ohare - never have change when I travel

Old 11-18-2014, 05:28 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,992,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
...or to pay for roads that lots of people use.
That what gas taxes are for.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:30 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,992,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Toll highways: Coming soon to a state near you!

I don't mind toll highways, actually. Paying by use is the most sensible way to fund infrastructure. There should be more toll highways; that way states don't have to rely on the useless federal government to keep the Highway Trust Fund solvent. Furthermore, their toll dollars won't end up 10 states away to build a fourth beltway around a city while the road they drive on crumbles.

We already pay by use. It is called a state gas tax. The more you drive, the more gas you burn. The more gas you buy, the more gas tax you pay.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:35 AM

21,208 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
We already pay by use. It is called a state gas tax. The more you drive, the more gas you burn. The more gas you buy, the more gas tax you pay.
Yes, and potential increases (tied to inflation and crumbling infrastructure) have to be approved by voters, so given the snowball's chance of that happening toll roads have become a very viable alternative. Not to mention gas tax revenues are on the decrease as gas prices fall, meaning so are tax revenues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.