U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 AM

10,564 posts, read 13,140,652 times

Advertisements

I am definitely a yankee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:27 AM

130 posts, read 201,516 times
Truth be told I've probably heard that word maybe 3 times in my whole life with the exception of this forum. No one down here really says that anymore unless their trying to be funny or get on someone's nerves. Now Alabama might be a different story but for the most part that words very seldom used. To clarify though anyone from anywhere north of the South Midwest included hate to break that to some of y'all are considered Yankees too. But like I said that word is dying I always disliked that word anyway even I've been called a Yankee because I don't have a traditional southern accent go figure.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:10 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross706 View Post
I always disliked that word anyway even I've been called a Yankee because I don't have a traditional southern accent go figure.
I used to have a transportation job (based out of Houston, where I'm originally from) that took me all throughout the South and up the East coast as far as Boston, and get this... I got called "yankee" in certain Southern states for being from Texas! That's right, Texas. Weird, right? Apparently, to many Southerners who never stayed in school, Texas isn't the "true" South, and that somehow makes Texans "yankees", even though Texas was part of the confederacy. Granted this only happened a handful of times, and like yourself, I don't have a Southern accent... but the reason I was labeled "yankee" was made clear each time, and it was because I was from Texas. This happened in Mississippi, Georgia, and in North Carolina.

I don't consider the word "yankee" to be a dirty word or an insult. I just think it's a silly and stupid relic that has no relevance in the year 2014. Kind of like callng an English person a "redcoat", or a German person a "Kraut". I think it's really only still used mainly by the older generations. Baby-boomers and older. When I had that job where I got called "yankee", the years were 1990 and 91, and the people who called me that were a lot older than me. I seriously doubt I would hear that in those same places today.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,277,212 times
"Yankee" is still thrown around, at least here in North Carolina. It's not just the older generations. Cary, a transplant saturated suburban town built off the back of RTP, is jokingly known as the Concentrated Area for Relocated Yankees. I've never heard it used as an insult, though. It's always jokingly thrown around, because we do have a fair amount of transplanted northerners around Raleigh.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:59 PM

42 posts, read 41,753 times
I've always got the impression that Californians are just considered pot smoking hippie liberals instead of Yankees. Is this true?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Meme View Post
I've always got the impression that Californians are just considered pot smoking hippie liberals instead of Yankees. Is this true?
Haha, "Yankee" isn't a term for Californians. If anything, it's people from the former Union states during the war, especially the Northeast (New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, etc.).

Old 11-26-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Haha, "Yankee" isn't a term for Californians. If anything, it's people from the former Union states during the war, especially the Northeast (New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, etc.).
Well the thing is that California was a union state during the civil war. We were just isolated so we didn't do anything. But yeah I have my answer now

Old 11-26-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Well the thing is that California was a union state during the civil war. We were just isolated so we didn't do anything. But yeah I have my answer now
That's true haha, that's the reason why. Everyone always forgets Cali being a Union state during the war, but I've heard Cali was mainly settled by southerners. Do you know if this is true?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
That's true haha, that's the reason why. Everyone always forgets Cali being a Union state during the war, but I've heard Cali was mainly settled by southerners. Do you know if this is true?
Well I'm no expert, but I highly doubt it was mainly settled by southerners considering the extremely strong anti-slavery sentiment that it had.

Take a look at this for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archy_Lee

Old 11-26-2014, 03:43 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,316 times
Quote:
Well I'm no expert, but I highly doubt it was mainly settled by southerners considering the extremely strong anti-slavery sentiment that it had.
Believe it or not, there were many White Southerners during the civil war era who were strongly opposed to slavery. Many of those Southerners moved out West during both the Gold Rush era and during the war. Later on, in the 30's, many Southerners from Oklahoma and Texas migrated to Central CA. Hence, "Okies".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.