U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2015, 06:40 PM
 
215 posts, read 296,184 times
Reputation: 255

Advertisements

these 2 links say all you yankees are a bunch of gay-ass, dandy, cheeseheads, LMFAO

Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Doodle

Last edited by Tenn82; 01-01-2015 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2015, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,886 posts, read 4,187,044 times
Reputation: 4161
I was informed while I lived in Georgia that as a native Minnesotan I had been officially classified as a "midwesterner" and not a yankee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 AM
 
Location: The South
5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Reputation: 7896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I was informed while I lived in Georgia that as a native Minnesotan I had been officially classified as a "midwesterner" and not a yankee.
Not a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 PM
 
207 posts, read 262,039 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Just wondering who most Southerners consider a yankee. I don't consider myself one because 1(I'm from Nebraska and while we were a union territory in the Civil War, we didn't really send a lot of troops because we were small in population and in my opinions Yankees are from the Northeast 2) My ancestors didn't emigrate here until after the civil war for the most part. On my mom's side I have a few ancestors who fought in the revolutionary war and were ethnic germans who only married Germans and eventually a few ended up win Nebraska while a few stayed east while some moved to Utah with the Mormons. Most however emigrated to Nebraska from Germany and Denmark in the 1860's while on my dad's side they emigrated from the Czech Republic in the 1880's. So I have hardly any Yankee blood if any at all.

So how do you define a "yankee"
I wouldn't consider you a yankee-it is a hard sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 10:34 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 1,993,473 times
Reputation: 2141
Yankees are people born and raised New England. Thats it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 01:14 PM
 
96 posts, read 80,384 times
Reputation: 60
Can anyone here explain why do people from the Caribbean especially Jamaica refer to All Americans as Yankee people??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 01:17 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,478,371 times
Reputation: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Kid View Post
Can anyone here explain why do people from the Caribbean especially Jamaica refer to All Americans as Yankee people??????

They associate ny with all americans, basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM
 
774 posts, read 1,695,734 times
Reputation: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
They associate ny with all americans, basically.
One of my past co-workers, a man originally from Connecticut, held that although New Yorkers are from the Northeast, they are not truly Yankees because a true Yankee is a New Englander. In the original definition of 'Yankee,' I would say he is spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 01:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Kid View Post
Can anyone here explain why do people from the Caribbean especially Jamaica refer to All Americans as Yankee people??????
Or why

Can anyone here explain why do people from the south especially Jamaica refer to all northerners as Yankees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 02:25 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,478,371 times
Reputation: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
One of my past co-workers, a man originally from Connecticut, held that although New Yorkers are from the Northeast, they are not truly Yankees because a true Yankee is a New Englander. In the original definition of 'Yankee,' I would say he is spot on.

The revolution did start in New England, Massachusetts to be exact, so your point is well taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top