U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 AM

7,134 posts, read 9,905,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
In the south its a Damn Yankee. For the ones who stay
It is true that some of the first dams in the country were built by Yankees to make power for mill ponds.

Long Island for instance, has a number of historic water mills dating from the colonial period. Water Mill, NY for instance, had its first water mill by 1644 and interestingly they also have a historic windmill that dates from 1800.

example.

Saddle Rock Mill - Eldridge - Udall Mill, Great Neck, Long Island, NY - A WebsiteBuilder Website (Saddle Rock grist mill)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,268,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Virginia also has that same feel as well.
Again, I guess it just depends on the area. For example, the similarities between Wilmington, NC and Savannah, GA. Or similarities between the Atlanta metro, Charlotte, and Raleigh/Durham. Not to mention the SC upstate feeling similar to the NC Triad (to me, at least). Historically, South Carolina and Georgia are Deep South, while North Carolina and Virginia are Upper South. However, some people might not care about distinguishing them anymore.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:00 PM

320 posts, read 473,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
NC, to me, doesn't feel any different than the "deep south." NC, SC, GA all kinda have the same 'feel' to them.
Deep south is hotter and has more bugs in the summer. That's a easy way to tell.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Deep south is hotter and has more bugs in the summer. That's a easy way to tell.
The Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham, NC) is just as hot and humid as the Atlanta metro, but yeah I get what you're saying.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham, NC) is just as hot and humid as the Atlanta metro, but yeah I get what you're saying.
You high right now if you think it's hotter than south Mississippi or south Georgia.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
You high right now if you think it's hotter than south Mississippi or south Georgia.
Certainly not! Haha, not at all. Same applies to Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. So much more hot and humid! Stayed outside Charleston this past August, walked outside at 2 AM and was shocked that it was still unbelievably hot/humid. Even in Raleigh, it's not that bad during the night.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Certainly not! Haha, not at all. Same applies to Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. So much more hot and humid! Stayed outside Charleston this past August, walked outside at 2 AM and was shocked that it was still unbelievably hot/humid. Even in Raleigh, it's not that bad during the night.
Not saying upper south is not humid. Just not like the deep south. Charleston is very humid and Savannah has humidity and too many gnats.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:40 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,097,886 times
Man whenever I go to the deep south during the summer I feel like on a slave plantation.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,483 posts, read 14,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ God forbid an American chooses to move to another area within his/her own country...
It's generally said tongue in cheek. The proper response from a damn yankee is "Forgive me, I wasn't born here... but I got here as quick as I could!"

Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Not saying upper south is not humid. Just not like the deep south. Charleston is very humid and Savannah has humidity and too many gnats.
North Carolina is certainly humid, several areas are just as humid as the Deep South. Definitely the Sandhills region and the majority of Eastern NC, not to mention Raleigh/Durham which can get SUPER humid like I said above. I'd imagine Virginia is quite humid, but definitely not as humid as North Carolina. The majority of Tennessee is hilly, and it's also landlocked so I don't think it's as bad as North Carolina despite being geographically equal if you glance at a map. I'd imagine it's a similar story for Arkansas and Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.