U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the US will switch to Metric, ever?
It will eventually happen 15 35.71%
Ha! 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:30 AM

527 posts, read 563,005 times

Advertisements

I wish they did, but I don't think we'll see that happen. America was suppose to convert during the 70s when Canada and Australia did, but since some people opposed it due to having to learn it, and high cost of switching all road signs and since America was not in need of globalization like it is today, and because it is a huge country, they didn't convert. However, in the 90s they included metric units required on all packages. Medication, alcohol and nutrition facts are all metric, as are some bottles sold.

What we should do is to have dual measurement everywhere from road signs to weather forecast. You could include metric units at least on new road signs as they do in many places near the border.

Hawaii is proposing a bill to be the first state to officially convert to the metric system by 2018. I hope it passes and enforce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 PM

715 posts, read 289,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Considering how practically all infrastructure of this country is built around the US customary, I really doubt that switching to Metric will ever happen. In my city (Chicago) for example, our streets are a furlong in distance and 8 of them make a mile. If we had to convert to kilometers everyone here would be completely confused and we would get nowhere. Also, everyone would have to scrap their measuring tools.

I doubt the US will ever change. I mean, we are THAT much deep in the hole.
Agreed, besides if God had intended for us to use the metric system Jesus would have had 10 disciples, not 12...

Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 PM

5,276 posts, read 3,670,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Its not as bad as it sounds and most people are just too ignorant and don't realize it. For example, if you go to a Home Depot and buy a two by four piece of lumber, what people call "2x4" is actually 1.5 inches by 3.5 inches and not a 2x4. Go ahead and try to measure it next time you are in a hardware store, with any lumber sizes.
I toured a large sawmill in Canada a few years back. A big deal was made by the tour guide how modern Canada was vs the backward USA, in the metrication of the country. We watched as their computer controlled saw cut out precisely sized lumber and carefully stacked it in a box marked 2 x 4.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:34 PM

466 posts, read 433,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Because in my city, at least, you use the 8 blocks to a mile system to know how far you are.
Interesting. I didn't know that. Good to know. In Manhattan, it's 20 blocks north/south to measure a mile.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:50 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,856,253 times
I can see using them side by side, but exclusively metric.

Fahrenheit is better for temperature, the intervals are smaller.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,288,584 times
I have to laugh at this topic.......

Many things in the USA are in metric, but the people who drink from a 2 litre bottle of coke, or shoot a 9 millimetre Glock, or drive a Mustang with a five litre engine, are oblivious to it.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of Americans could NOT tell you their height in centimetres, or their weight in kilos, even if the prize was 100 dollars ! Nor could they figure out how many cubic metres their house is in floor size. Or the weight of their vehicle in kilos.

American industry also spends millions a year, on DUPLICATE fasteners, in fractions of a inch, and in metric mm sizes. Inch fractions for the US market, and metric sizes for the REST of the world. There are only two countries in the entire world that STILL use the Imperial system....... America and Myanmar.

Backward and unwilling to learn some thing that the rest of the world takes for granted ? That about describes it, in my opinion.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:05 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,877,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Many things in the USA are in metric, but the people who drink from a 2 litre bottle of coke, or shoot a 9 millimetre Glock, or drive a Mustang with a five litre engine, are oblivious to it.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of Americans could NOT tell you their height in centimetres, or their weight in kilos, even if the prize was 100 dollars ! Nor could they figure out how many cubic metres their house is in floor size. Or the weight of their vehicle in kilos.
We have no need for it. Can you say the same thing for yourself using our system?

Quote:
American industry also spends millions a year, on DUPLICATE fasteners, in fractions of a inch, and in metric mm sizes. Inch fractions for the US market, and metric sizes for the REST of the world. There are only two countries in the entire world that STILL use the Imperial system....... America and Myanmar.

Backward and unwilling to learn some thing that the rest of the world takes for granted ? That about describes it, in my opinion.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Ah, feel free to make yourself feel better by putting others down.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:24 PM

7,349 posts, read 15,413,645 times
All of my classes in science and engineering used metric units. Most of my professional work was done in metric - most of the machine shops we used worked in metric units. We had some spectacular failures when shops which did not use metric units tried to convert dimensions, and it resulted in those shops being crossed off the "acceptable vendors" list - and that is just the easy conversions, once you factor in things like tolerances and minimum specs it gets ugly fast.

I can switch back and forth, but even in my relatively "ambidexterous" position, I have to do a quick double check to be sure - otherwise it is easy to make a mistake.

It's silly to keep using two sets of measurement systems. Particularly when, if you take an unbiased looked at the systems, one is so much clearer than the other.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:56 PM

53 posts, read 46,697 times
I get how to metric system works and all but I can't practically apply it to most things. I generally know how far 15 miles is, but I dont really know how far say 28 kilometers is at all. This is especially true for temperature. I know how to dress for 30 degree weather as opposed to 70 degree weather, but in Celsius I would honestly have no clue how cold it is without converting it. I wouldn't care to much if we switched to metric as long as we kept Fahrenheit.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 PM

21,454 posts, read 22,012,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Jim B. In Toronto.
I have to laugh at Canadians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.