U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,388,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Basically, everyone in the Midwest swears when they realize they have to drive to/through Chicagoland and worry about spare change and tollways, because they don't have to do it at home.
Why do you need spare change? Either you stay on the road and drive right through with open tolling, which is almost 90% of all cars driving on the tollway system and pay only half price compared to cash, or you pull off to the side and pay at the booth.

Only 10% of drivers on the Illinois Tollway ever slow down or stop to pay a toll.

Really the only people coming into Chicago who would need to pay any toll are those coming from Wisconsin or areas to the north/west of there. If you're coming from Iowa or the west you just use I-80 to I-55 into the city to avoid a toll. From the southwest or south you use either I-55 or I-57 directly into the city, or if you're on I-65 you can stay on that and take I-94 the rest of the way into the city. From the east on I-94 you just stay on that and it's free. If you're on I-80 and passing through then you'll have to pay a $1.00 toll, as I-80 and I-90 from Chicago to the east are toll roads.

The following state's toll roads are connected with the Ipass system in Chicago, so people can use their passes from other states or Chicagoans can use their Ipass on any of the roads and never have to stop assuming the other states have open tolling like Chicago does where you continue on at 70mph and it just reads it through the windshield.

Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
West Virginia
Virginia
North Carolina
Deleware
Maryland
New Jersey
New York
Mass
New Hampshire
Maine
Rhode Island

It's interesting that toll roads in Chicago except for the privately held Skyway Bridge are all free and the only tolls in the metro area in the suburban areas.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 11-18-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 03:38 PM

22,339 posts, read 32,182,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why do you need spare change? Either you stay on the road and drive right through with open tolling, which is almost 90% of all cars driving on the tollway system, or you pull off to the side and pay at the booth.

The following state's toll roads are connected with the Ipass system in Chicago, so people can use their passes from other states or Chicagoans can use their Ipass on any of the roads and never have to stop assuming the other states have open tolling like Chicago does where you continue on at 70mph and it just reads it through the windshield.

Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
West Virginia
Virginia
North Carolina
Deleware
Maryland
New Jersey
New York
Mass
New Hampshire
Maine
Rhode Island

It's interesting that toll roads in Chicago except for the privately held Skyway Bridge are all free and the only tolls in the metro area in the suburban areas.
Chicago is by no means the only area with express/high speed toll lanes, I know PA, NJ, and DE all have them am almost positive MD does too and believe VA as well Not sure on NY but they may as well

on the burbs versus city, I cant think of tolls in cities except bridges and tunnels and most of these are actually outside the city (well likely in Jersey) with the exception of Baltimore which has the tolls on 95 and 695 and 895 I believe at the tunnels and bridge for 695 (I think). NYC has tolls because some of the bridges cross to other boroughs but are mostly in NJ or Staten Island (I guess technically NYC)

Old 11-18-2014, 03:39 PM

4,396 posts, read 3,565,361 times
Atlanta removed it's only toll about a year ago. Was just one toll booth. Now there's a HOT lane. More to be added.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:41 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,434,810 times
Quote:
Basically, everyone in the Midwest swears when they realize they have to drive to/through Chicagoland and worry about spare change and tollways, because they don't have to do it at home.
Absolutely. I also got burned in Oklahoma. They hit you with a big initial charge to ride the Will Rogers Turnpike, but you get money back at major exits. Its a strange system.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 PM

22,339 posts, read 32,182,008 times
Quote:
my biggest issue with Chicago is the toll from 284 (I Think back to Ohare) while it has Ipass I have been caught a few times in a rental without Ipass and no change (no toll takers there so exact change is required)

I once threw a dollar bill in and smiled to no avail

have since reqalized I can go one more exit and come back a service road so as to not get the fine

in terms of tolls, where I am from is basically a daily occurance so the tolls dont catch me off gaurd but placing a exact chnage only one entering the airport coming back from the north - well that is just dumb

Old 11-18-2014, 03:55 PM

779 posts, read 769,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Atlanta removed it's only toll about a year ago. Was just one toll booth. Now there's a HOT lane. More to be added.
Are you referring to Route 400? If so, I'm glad to know that was removed. I heard something about them trying to extend this for like 10 more years or something.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:00 PM

779 posts, read 769,413 times
I don't know if you would really call Birmingham, AL a major metro area... It's ranked no 49 in size around the same as New Orleans, Raleigh, Hartford. There are no toll roads here. If you are thinking of like the top 10 or 20, I don't know of any. Toll roads seem to be mostly a thing of those cities. Certain states such as Florida seem to use toll roads heavily as well.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:56 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,433,843 times
Unless you count bridges or HOT (High occupancy/toll) lanes, the SF Bay Area doesn't have any traditional toll roads.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:15 PM

4,396 posts, read 3,565,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Are you referring to Route 400? If so, I'm glad to know that was removed. I heard something about them trying to extend this for like 10 more years or something.
Yep. Even though the money brought in would help for projects, they said they would remove the toll when time then later said they'd keep it. Government trust isn't high right now and that didn't help.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:11 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,712,653 times
Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.