U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 AM

779 posts, read 773,323 times

Advertisements

If you are wanting to avoid any cold weather at all, Ft. Lauderdale is a nice option. Quick access to Miami, a large city itself with lots to do, and it's cheaper than Miami. The nightlife scene is also great down there so being in the service industry is usually pretty good pay. Plus, the beach doesn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 PM

6,580 posts, read 7,529,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Raleigh and Charlotte may have "milder" weather, but still cold/snow in winter. Same goes for Atlanta. But if you can tolerate it, those areas and parts of Virginia (Norfolk, VA Beach) may be to your liking.

Avoid Riverside-San Bernardino at all costs. It's California's armpit. It's sad because it used to be a beautiful place. Now it's smoggy and like a third-world country. There's literally nothing to do there--a lot of crime and drugs, horrible job market.

If you can afford LA, that would probably be your best bet, plus, it's on the beach. San Diego is nice if you're wealthy--it's expensive and the job market sucks.

Sacramento is cheap and has much better weather than New York...however, it's boring...

Yea I live in east TN and it is cold here today. It got down in the 20s last night, some areas have had snow flurries. This is very early in the year for this, but it does happen. The average high here in November is 60s, yet we hit 32 yesterday. This is going to be true for most of the interior south, and occasionally even places on the coast. Living in the south does not mean no winter at all, it just means less winter. If you want to get away from winter all together its going to be the southern half of Florida, extreme southern Texas, or southern California and parts of Arizona. Hawaii is obviously the safest from any kind of winter weather.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:00 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,771,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Except for maybe Austin, those are all places where you need a car to get around. Public transit in Charlotte, Tampa and Phoenix are all very very inconvenient.
Nope. Austin too. Very much so, actually. Phoenix has rail lines. Austin has none.

And Austin is also significantly more expensive to live in than any of these other cities. Some parts of Austin can go toe to toe with coastal California for COL.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:03 PM

13,252 posts, read 24,556,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Comparing NYC to anything in the rest of New York State is not logical; and I live in New York State. EVERYPLACE in New York State is going to be cheaper than NYC by a massive amount (except maybe Southhampton or something). However, costs between many other areas of the state are quite similar, assuming they are similar in size. I could move from Buffalo, for example, to Syracuse and see little difference.

My guess is that Ridgecrest, CA wouldn't have excellent public transportation either, nor meet many of their other criteria.

Personally I'd rather live in a non-armpit that has snow than an armpit that doesn't, but that's just me (and I HATE the cold).

I've spent the last year researching cities that are affordable, much warmer than Upstate NY, offer a solid economy/jobs, and access to things like reliable public transportation and great restaurants and a social scene, and the list is limited.
My points were (I feel like I'm stating the obvious here, but anyway):

I don't understand how somebody could say "I don't want to live in California". Many people don't understand that the state itself is not monolithic, and that virtually every type of living environment one could seek resides within its borders. Thus "not wanting to live in California" makes little sense, because if there was somewhere they did want to live, chances are there is somewhere else within the state of CA that would be similar.

I already know about not being able to compare NYC to the rest of New York (i.e. Rochester), that itself was my point.

My suggestion of Ridgecrest was simply one to offer most of the criteria, at a cheaper cost. The only public transit it has is a dial-a-ride, and regional service.

What or what isn't an armpit is subjective. If I wanted warmer weather/no snow, I would have no problem living in Bakersfield, Fresno, or my native Riverside-San Bernardino, contrary to other people considering them armpits or not.

Good luck with your list, and you're right, that list would be pretty short.

Quote:
I was not fully calculating tips . . . which can vary widely, nor is there a guarantee of 40 hours a week's worth of work. You need to be realistic in your calculations and not "best case scenario" since the best case scenario is far from guaranteed.
Of course. I did a move similar to OP's when I was 23, and my results were disastrous (initially). I counted on at least double the income I actually got. I had to find another way.

Quote:
Also, I have a good friend living in San Diego who pays MUCH more than $1500 for his 2-BR apartment and it's not in a great area. Maybe if they are willing to share a 1-BR in a less-desirable neighborhood?
2732 results fitting OP's criteria on craigslist

Quote:
What your mortgage is in Colorado is not relevant if A.) they are not looking to move there and B.) they are not looking to buy. It also neglects to include costs like property taxes, maintenance, upkeep and insurance, or the down payment it'd likely require.
This was apparently over your head.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:40 AM

36 posts, read 22,217 times
Ok, checking back on here since I haven't in a few days. My friend and I are still in the pretty early stages of research on cities so i apologize if there are any inherently dumb ideas or anything that i post, lol. Out of the cities I posted earlier I am now aware that austin is pretty expensive. I love the idea of making California work for me but my friend is not fond of the idea of moving to California (don't ask me why, again just the messenger) but if I had proof (numbers, stats, etc, idk) maybe i could open her up to the idea. I am really fond of the idea of moving to Tampa and still have to do more research on Charlotte, and VA was only in the mix because we have both been there before and thought it was beautiful but really don't know much else about it.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:10 AM

5,302 posts, read 8,145,638 times
California is great, but it is going through severe drought and very expensive. I'm thinking your friend is probably worried about those things. It's better to just have several vacations there than to actually live there, based on the kind of places/budget you seem to have and want.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 PM

3,161 posts, read 3,111,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

What or what isn't an armpit is subjective. If I wanted warmer weather/no snow, I would have no problem living in Bakersfield, Fresno, or my native Riverside-San Bernardino, contrary to other people considering them armpits or not.
True... we have many friends that live in the Inland Empire, and yes, some of them actually bathe, and have advanced degrees! One of them born, raised and still living in Riverside all her life and has always enjoyed where she lives.

I've also read that younger families are venturing out there from Orange County more and more each day looking for more affordable housing.

There are "armpits" in Orange County and along the inland coastal area as well if overcrowding, gangs etc. is the criteria.

Santa Ana, one of the poorest towns is conveniently close to the highfalutin Newport Beach and Irvine. The people of Santa Ana often serve the wealthy residents in the surrounding areas as restaurant workers, (I was a server in Newport for 8 years until recently and most of the staff lived in Santa Ana) housekeepers, gardeners etc.

If you don't mind living blue collar, and possibly with Spanish speaking people often with many children, (it can get noisy), you can find a relatively affordable place.

I also agree with you David that California is very diverse in lifestyle, affordability, geography, etc.
We have a friend that lives in Sacramento, and my husband and I considered moving there. It has decent restaurants, bike paths, and so many places within a few hours drive for weekend getaways.

Of course our drought is a concern... if only we could get a conveyor belt coming our way full of snow from the Midwest eh? It would solve two problems!

Anyway, good luck on your search OP, your criteria is not uncommon, but not always common to find without some compromise.

Last edited by Count David; 11-20-2014 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: fixed quoting

Old 11-20-2014, 08:20 PM

36 posts, read 22,217 times
Thanks guys! It is proving to be a bit of a struggle but I'm really feeling drawn towards Tampa. Ill have to see what my friend thinks. Im also considering buying a Moped, since i know its been said that theres not the greatest public transport, but i really don't want to rely on a car. or the expenses that come with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or