U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 PM

36 posts, read 22,111 times

Advertisements

Hello! Me and my friend are planning on moving out of Rochester NY, which is ranked in the top ten "cities that can complain about cold" in America, lol. We are planning on moving August 2015, when the lease is up at my house. We are both currently 20 years old but will be 21 by the time we move:

We need help deciding where we want to go. Our main factors for what we want include:

- WARM weather, preferably not overly-humid. Not cold in winter
- I will not bring my car and want somewhere that is walkable OR has decent public transportation
- Reasonably young population
- Reasonable cost of living, not like NYC or San Fran
- Good nightlife
- Job opportunities (we will both be servers initially upon moving as its what we do now)
- I like outdoor activities and social events

Right now, we are thinking of Austin TX, Charlotte NC, Phoenix AZ. We were looking at Denver but changed our mind mainly because of the cost of living and the weather is almost similar as rochester but sunnier.

Please share some input and help us decide! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:06 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,463,501 times
Not Denver.

Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Sacramento, San Diego, Albuquerque, maybe Riverside-San Bernardino for cheaper access to Los Angeles.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 PM

If we would both be servers initially and probably for a little while after moving, would San Diego and Sacramento be doable? We are aiming to keep rent under $1500

Old 11-18-2014, 07:29 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,463,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgreenwell View Post
If we would both be servers initially and probably for a little while after moving, would San Diego and Sacramento be doable? We are aiming to keep rent under $1500
Yes, Sacramento even more so.

Remember, servers in CA get full minimum wage ($9 now) in addition to their tips, not the reduced rate that many other states pay.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 PM

660 posts, read 812,475 times
Default Not California!

Have you looked on Craigslist -- you'll be hard pressed to find a nice place in San Diego for $1500 a month, especially if you need/want more than a studio/1-BR.

Quote:

Old 11-18-2014, 07:38 PM

I haven't looked on craigslist, i didn't really consider california a viable option for an initial move out of our home town, especially with us being so young and working tip based jobs. Not to make it sound like we don't earn enough, because i currently live on my own now, but we do have to keep it in a certain price range. We more than likely won't move to Cali but that doesn't mean i never will!

Other options?

Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Default Let's Get Outta Here!

I moved to Buffalo from Seattle in 2008, and for various reasons (namely that I don't like it here, especially the weather) I'm leaving in 2015. Fortunately my job is portable right now. I have done EXTENSIVE research, and also a lot of traveling over the years, and I saw your post about a $1500/mo rental budget; this limits your options (though you MAY be able to get a 1-BR for that depending on where you go). Austin and Denver are both pricier than you might think, so I'd rule those out if you want to be able to enjoy a decent quality of life on a server's salary. Charlotte and Phoenix (or even Tucson) would be good options (but you'd need to like it HOT if you chose those parts of AZ -- they are beautiful though).

Personally, after a ton of research, I picked Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC. The Summers are longer but hotter, the Winters are much milder and shorter, and there are still 4 seasons. The cost of living is definitely higher than WNY, but lower than places like Austin and Denver by a fair amount. There are also three very different cities (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) all within 25-30 minutes of each other, a strong economy, and tons of students (i.e., people your age) with all of the accompanying nightlife and activities. The one issue could be that public transportation is not so good, but it's not great in Austin and other places either. It's also well located (2.5 hour drive to the beach), close to other, larger urban areas like Charlotte, and outdoor oriented.

I'd check it out.

Durham, NC: Livability Top 100 Best Places to Live 2014 | Durham, NC | Livability

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/dur...nt?oid=1202409

What's it like to live in Durham? - north carolina raleigh | Ask MetaFilter

Quote:
Hello! Me and my friend are planning on moving out of Rochester NY, which is ranked in the top ten "cities that can complain about cold" in America, lol. We are planning on moving August 2015, when the lease is up at my house. We are both currently 20 years old but will be 21 by the time we move:

We need help deciding where we want to go. Our main factors for what we want include:

- WARM weather, preferably not overly-humid. Not cold in winter
- I will not bring my car and want somewhere that is walkable OR has decent public transportation
- Reasonably young population
- Reasonable cost of living, not like NYC or San Fran
- Good nightlife
- Job opportunities (we will both be servers initially upon moving as its what we do now)
- I like outdoor activities and social events

Right now, we are thinking of Austin TX, Charlotte NC, Phoenix AZ. We were looking at Denver but changed our mind mainly because of the cost of living and the weather is almost similar as rochester but sunnier.

Please share some input and help us decide! Thanks

Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,112,320 times
Raleigh and Charlotte may have "milder" weather, but still cold/snow in winter. Same goes for Atlanta. But if you can tolerate it, those areas and parts of Virginia (Norfolk, VA Beach) may be to your liking.

Avoid Riverside-San Bernardino at all costs. It's California's armpit. It's sad because it used to be a beautiful place. Now it's smoggy and like a third-world country. There's literally nothing to do there--a lot of crime and drugs, horrible job market.

If you can afford LA, that would probably be your best bet, plus, it's on the beach. San Diego is nice if you're wealthy--it's expensive and the job market sucks.

Sacramento is cheap and has much better weather than New York...however, it's boring...

Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 PM

Default Really?

How could young people making $9 an hour afford $1500/mo. in rent (plus utilities) - even splitting it? That's like $300 a week AFTER taxes . . . unless you make hundreds more in tips.

I make MUCH more than that and I can't afford that much rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yes, Sacramento even more so.

Remember, servers in CA get full minimum wage ($9 now) in addition to their tips, not the reduced rate that many other states pay.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 PM

Default California!

California is great -- I have been all over the state, and lived briefly in SoCal. Know this - it's all expensive.

Quote:
I haven't looked on craigslist, i didn't really consider california a viable option for an initial move out of our home town, especially with us being so young and working tip based jobs. Not to make it sound like we don't earn enough, because i currently live on my own now, but we do have to keep it in a certain price range. We more than likely won't move to Cali but that doesn't mean i never will!

Other options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or