Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM

7,297 posts, read 12,203,789 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, what city does anyone here think would be considered the largest suburb in America?

I know on Wikipedia, they list Fort Worth, Texas as one of the world's largest suburbs and largest in America. However, I wouldn't consider Fort Worth to be a suburb of Dallas, since it seems to have its own economy and can thrive without Dallas. In fact, prior to the 2003 statistical area definitions, Fort Worth/Arlington was in a separate Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area (PMSA) from Dallas, which they were grouped more loosely in a Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area (CMSA). It wasn't until 2003 when they became one large MSA (the PMSA and CMSA terms were replaced by MSA and CSA-Combined Statistical Area in 2003).

I personally would consider Long Beach, California to be the largest suburb in the United States, followed by Mesa, Arizona as second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:24 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,855,568 times
How on earth is Long Beach a suburb? It is an employment center in its own right, has its own college, and is one of the busiest ports in the country.

Just because it's next to LA doesn't make it a suburb.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:37 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,564,075 times
Cities like Fort Worth and Long Beach are most definitely NOT suburbs. They are their own cities that happen to be part of a metro which is dominated by a larger city.

This is especially true of Fort Worth, which at one time not too long ago had it's own metro area that was separate from Dallas' metro. Ft. Worth has it's own freeway network (which ties in with Dallas), it's own distinct downtown and core area, and just feels like it's own distinct city (because it is). What St. Paul is to Minneapolis, Ft. Worth is to Dallas.

If we're talking actual suburbs here, then Mesa, AZ gets my vote for largest.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,692,295 times
Does the Town of Hempstead, New York count?

Old 11-19-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Does the Town of Hempstead, New York count?
That is debatable, since Hempstead actually consists of multiple incorporated villages, each with their own local government.

Long Beach was always part of the Los Angeles MSA, since it has always been located in Los Angeles County.

Note that in the past there were several proposals to split Mesa from Maricopa County along with some other East Valley cities and towns. In addition to Mesa, most of these proposals also included the city of Chandler as well as the towns of Gilbert and Queen Creek. Some proposals also added the city of Tempe, and I think there was also one that even added the city of Scottsdale. I never heard of any such proposal for Long Beach to secede from Los Angeles County, so it seems that Long Beach is actually more integrated with Los Angeles than Mesa is with Phoenix.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:01 PM

8,515 posts, read 10,032,281 times
I feel like this subject has been rehashed several times here on CD. Have you researched the other threads about it?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I feel like this subject has been rehashed several times here on CD. Have you researched the other threads about it?
I rarely post in this particular forum (General U.S.), so I don't know.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:41 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,564,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Long Beach was always part of the Los Angeles MSA, since it has always been located in Los Angeles County.

Note that in the past there were several proposals to split Mesa from Maricopa County along with some other East Valley cities and towns. In addition to Mesa, most of these proposals also included the city of Chandler as well as the towns of Gilbert and Queen Creek. Some proposals also added the city of Tempe, and I think there was also one that even added the city of Scottsdale. I never heard of any such proposal for Long Beach to secede from Los Angeles County, so it seems that Long Beach is actually more integrated with Los Angeles than Mesa is with Phoenix.
None of these proposals (that never came to fruition, I might add) really mean anything when compared to Long Beach, since the East Valley in AZ is 100% suburban in nature and Long Beach is it's own distinct city, with it's own built up urban core and it's own separate economy, identity, and sphere of influence that transcends county lines. Much of the nearby areas in Orange County (Seal Beach, Los Alamitos, Huntington Beach, Cypress) are much more heavily influenced by Long Beach than they are by Anaheim or Santa Ana... much less L.A.

Long Beach looks and feels like it's own distinct city, different from the countless other LA/OC suburban cities.

There really isn't anything about Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, QC, or even Tempe (aside from the presence of ASU) that sets it apart from any other Valley suburb.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:52 PM

527 posts, read 705,204 times
Laval, Quebec (Montreal metro) is either the largest or second largest suburb in North America.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 PM

156 posts, read 243,158 times
Long Beach may not be a traditional suburb, but it's certainly not a metro anchor. It's a satellite of Los Angeles, and grew large because of Los Angeles. As a satellite, Long Beach doesn't have suburbs.

Mesa should be considered the largest U.S. suburb, with Arlington (suburb of Fort Worth and Dallas) close behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.