U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:19 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,886,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Then share which cities that have hosted the Olympics are not world class, and why.
Los Angeles (1932), Tokyo (1964), Mexico City (1968), Seoul (1988) and Atlanta (1996) were not "world" cities the first time they hosted the olympics. At most they were regional rising stars who managed to secure the spotlight temporarily, and used that to present themselves on the world stage. Basically, it was their quinceañeras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 04:13 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,070,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Los Angeles (1932), Tokyo (1964), Mexico City (1968), Seoul (1988) and Atlanta (1996) were not "world" cities the first time they hosted the olympics. At most they were regional rising stars who managed to secure the spotlight temporarily, and used that to present themselves on the world stage. Basically, it was their quinceañeras.
So 5 cities not "world class" at the time, but still on the chart as the "next world class/global cities" managed to sneak in over the past 83 years. I'd say for the most part the Summer Olympics are good at being held in fully developed world class cities.

I'm not sure about Seuol either, it's definitely a major world player today, was it really just an infant back in '88?

Old 02-13-2015, 08:35 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,600,448 times
I would say Miami is more internationally renown and known than Chicago. At least South Beach.

After NYC, LA, DC, MIA, SF, CHI I would say Boston, Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Seattle, Atlanta are struggling to join. Orlando, due to the Mouse, gets a ton of visitors but is not known for anything else. I was surprised by how many Europeans been to Orlando and nowhere else in the USA, even NYC. Boston is so old, and rests on her hosting neighboring Cambridge, I'm not sure if there is any forward momentum to bust into a new category. Seattle is the city to watch. Houston or Dallas after that. Atlanta looked promising 10 years ago but slowed down.

Edit:

If I'm including Orlando I should include Las Vegas.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:50 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,070,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I would say Miami is more internationally renown and known than Chicago. At least South Beach.

After NYC, LA, DC, MIA, SF, CHI I would say Boston, Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Seattle, Atlanta are struggling to join. Orlando, due to the Mouse, gets a ton of visitors but is not known for anything else. I was surprised by how many Europeans been to Orlando and nowhere else in the USA, even NYC. Boston is so old, and rests on her hosting neighboring Cambridge, I'm not sure if there is any forward momentum to bust into a new category. Seattle is the city to watch. Houston or Dallas after that. Atlanta looked promising 10 years ago but slowed down.

Edit:

Miami > Chicago?

Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,814,043 times
Quote:

Edit:

Are you serious...... Miami is not more world class than Chicago. That's very very laughable.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Are you serious...... Miami is not more world class than Chicago. That's very very laughable.
It definitely is more widely known, more traveled, and at any given time feels more international (due to all the tourists, transplants here).

If you want to argue some other metric like skyline, airport, big companies you can try.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:28 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,886,196 times
Quote:
It definitely is more widely known, more traveled, and at any given time feels more international (due to all the tourists, transplants here).

If you want to argue some other metric like skyline, airport, big companies you can try.
Miami is a huge name in Latin America, but Chicago is known everywhere alongside New York and LA. I mean, you wouldnt call Ibiza or Cancun international cosmopolitan meccas...they are just global party destinations, and Miami fits comfortably in the same category, alongside Barcelona...but not London, Paris, Tokyo.

I mean, by the same metric, I should call Anaheim Ca international due to the amount of tourists from around the world and diversity of the place (Latin americans, Asians, Middle Easterners, Africans, Europeans...all represented, all live here)...

Old 02-13-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Miami is a huge name in Latin America, but Chicago is known everywhere alongside New York and LA. I mean, you wouldnt call Ibiza or Cancun international cosmopolitan meccas...they are just global party destinations, and Miami fits comfortably in the same category, alongside Barcelona...but not London, Paris, Tokyo.
Chicago is known as a name but not really as a brand internationally. Things like the Cubs and hot dogs and Chicago deep dish and even the Willis tower are mostly American domestic stereotypes of Chicago that don't extend far beyond American borders.

I know, most of my family is back in Europe.

Miami on the other hand is a stereotype of a party city (as you said), beaches, Miami Vice style life, models, and fashion. This is what enables Miami to generate 4 million international tourists a year, and Chicago only 1.4 million.

To give you a small glimpse on just how international Miami is, last night me and my friend went to just grab a quick drink. We found a small, cozy nightclub giving free admission and drinks for a famous Japanese DJ, not really known to me but was known to my friend. When we left there, we stumbled on a modeling gathering (a bunch of models from all over the world going into this fancy VIP club for drinks). After that we stumbled on a night club of only Russian women which was apparently bought out by some Russian tycoon back in Moscow.

And that was in a very short span of time, and a very common occurrence. I've been to Chicago, I can't say it feels as international as Miami Beach. So what if they're just hear to party, blow money and stay for the winter? They're still here, and that's what counts.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:04 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,229,673 times
The OP created the thread talking about cities of power and importance on the global level. Chicago is vastly more important globally than Miami. It's all well and good that you saw models from various countries in Miami, but Miami, economically, punches below its weight.

A match for Chicago it is not.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:06 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,218,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The OP created the thread talking about cities of power and importance on the global level. Chicago is vastly more important globally than Miami. It's all well and good that you saw models from various countries in Miami, but Miami, economically, punches below its weight.

A match for Chicago it is not.
Miami gets more international visitors but an overwhelming majority are from Latin America. Chicago has more pull virtually every where else. Chicago is also a far more important city than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or