U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,604,048 times
Reputation: 722

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever. Why would certain parts of GDP, and specifically tourism, be excluded?
Because tourism dollars are not a "Product" and therefore not measured. For more on how GDP is calculated see:

Gross domestic product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But an important quote : "This is possible because GDP is a measure of 'value added' rather than sales;"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:05 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,280,976 times
Reputation: 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Because tourism dollars are not a "Product" and therefore not measured. For more on how GDP is calculated see:

Gross domestic product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But an important quote : "This is possible because GDP is a measure of 'value added' rather than sales;"
I have no idea what you're talking about.

GDP does include tourism, and should include tourism. It's an aggregate of all economic outputs. There would be no logical reason to exclude any economic sector, because GDP is a sum of all economic sectors.

Tourism is no less legitimate than heavy manufacturing, banking, or whatever. If it does not contribute to the same level, obviously that will figure into GDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,604,048 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.

GDP does include tourism, and should include tourism. It's an aggregate of all economic outputs. There would be no logical reason to exclude any economic sector, because GDP is a sum of all economic sectors.

Tourism is no less legitimate than heavy manufacturing, banking, or whatever. If it does not contribute to the same level, obviously that will figure into GDP.
How does GDP include tourism? Show me how it does.

GDP does not include sales. So everything Miami is selling the tourists, from the alcohol, the hotel rooms, is not included in GDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:14 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,280,976 times
Reputation: 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
How does GDP include tourism? Show me how it does.

GDP does not include sales. So everything Miami is selling the tourists, from the alcohol, the hotel rooms, is not included in GDP.
You are talking in circles. If tourism is not included in GDP, then why are you arguing that GDP should deduct tourism?

And you're wrong. Obviously tourism is part of GDP, as GDP just measures aggregate economic output. Obviously sales are part of GDP (and are central to every facet of GDP, not only tourism; obviously heavy industry or banking or whatever are also "just sales"; there is no economic product if no one is buying it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,604,048 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You are talking in circles. If tourism is not included in GDP, then why are you arguing that GDP should deduct tourism?
I'm not talking in circles at all. You just don't know how to read. I said from the beginning GDP is a poor gauge for Miami because it doesn't include the Tourism industry

Quote:
Obviously sales are part of GDP
Sales are not part of GDP. This is economics 101. I just showed you a source where it explains that they are not included.

For example, making a beer is part of GDP, but selling that beer is not. Nor is any markup captured. For example, Miami buying some beer from the Coors factory, then doubling the price and selling them to tourists is NOT PART OF THE GDP. However, it contributes to the economy of Miami.

Before you say it does, please give a source next time. Not your word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:24 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,280,976 times
Reputation: 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I'm not talking in circles at all. You just don't know how to read. I said from the beginning GDP is a poor gauge for Miami because it doesn't include the Tourism industry
But you're wrong. GDP does include the tourism industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Sales are not part of GDP. This is economics 101. I just showed you a source where it explains that they are not included.
Then you obviously failed Econ 101. There would be no GDP if nothing were produced for sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
For example, making a beer is part of GDP, but selling that beer is not. Nor is any markup captured.
The beer is only being produced because it is being sold. So yes, the sale is an essential part of the GDP. You make no sense anyways, because tourism is no different. The cruise is only being offered because people are going to pay for a trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Before you say it does, please give a source next time. Not your word.
Considering you haven't the first clue about economics, and have changed your story three times in the last three posts, I think you're in way over your head here. You can Google yourself, and you will find that tourism is in fact part of GDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 01:43 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,472,496 times
Reputation: 1483
Perhaps this can end this off topic argument...

The major component of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is consumption, which is driven by demand for goods and services. One effect of tourism on GDP is that tourism affects the economy through the provision of employment. The main effect of tourism on GDP is the fact that tourism boosts the demand for goods and services. Such an increase in the consumption level increases the activity on the market and consequently, increases the GDP level. Not all effects of tourism are positive though, as it can also lead to leakages, especially in smaller areas.

Any area that has a high level of tourist-related activities creates a lot of employment opportunities for the local population. Hotels, amusement parks, tourist attractions and other such places need people to provide the necessary services. Since increases and decreases in employment affect GDP levels by influencing the spending habits of people, the employment provided through tourism has a positive effect on GDP. People who are employed have the income to spend and an increased level of consumption is a consequence of tourism on GDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 05:38 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,392,352 times
Reputation: 8291
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't really get your point. Every city has ethnic neighborhoods, in fact that is very all-American to have such enclaves. What city in the U.S. doesn't have Mexican neigborhoods, or Chinese people? A city with Mexican areas is about as all-American as it gets.

And the proportion foreign-born in Chicago is generally lower than the other major U.S. cities. It's much lower than that of NYC, SF, LA, DC, Houston, Dallas, Miami.

In contrast, Miami is basically one giant non-American enclave, and its ethnic mix doesn't resemble the rest of the U.S., at all.
My point was that you were making a sweeping generalization of Chicago as an all-American apple pie and hot dog city. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing but categorical generalizations of entire cities (which was your comment in that Chicago doesn't have a foreign feel, "at all") are often inaccurate, and in Chicago's case it is quite inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 05:43 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,392,352 times
Reputation: 8291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
A lot of American cities have ethnic enclaves where you can get food, groceries, goods from a particular ethnic group. Chicago being the third largest American city, has many of them.

Miami is in another ballpark altogether. You can say that simply that traditional "American" culture has become so rare in Miami you have to look for it, like foreigners have to look for their ethnic enclave in Chicago. You don't know how many people visit Miami tell me they don't really think of Miami as an American city. I don't think that happens for any other large American city, but maybe I'm wrong.
I don't disagree but Miami is a pretty one-dimensional city in terms of foreign influence as considerable as it is. Yes you have Latin America well-represented but who else? Where is the Asian representation? Europe I see slightly but mostly in the form of tourism. Chicago has better overall diversity IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top