U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:45 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,767,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Those are great aspects of Atlanta, but Atlanta also is cookie cutter America with not a lot going on for "downtown culture". The times I visited, I was not impressed by downtown. It is modern,which I like, but lacks character and that is why I would hesitate to call it a current world class city. Maybe as time passes, Atlanta will become a more recognizable for its modern lifestyle and that will merit it a designation a world class city.
The lack of "character" cookie cutter and lack of downtown culture is the turning point for Atlanta not being a world class city?

Things like G.D.P, Fortune 500 companies, home to Home Depot, USPS, Coke a Cola, Delta and Aflac, having 1,300 foreign based companies and being in a state with a very pro business climate is more important than the set up of its residential neighborhoods and the lack of character.

No one is going to view places like Charleston and Savannah higher than Atlanta because they have some old brick buildings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,767,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Seattle is not a top tier city. I don't think you're hating on Atlanta, I don't like the city either but if you think Seattle is in the same tier as the cities you listed than you're one funny character. Do you honestly think is in the same tier as NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, DC, Frankfurt?
In reality.... Seattle is on the same tier as Minneapolis, Cleveland, Detroit, Calgary and San Diego.... down there in Beta-

Which it two notches below Atlanta sitting at Alpha-

Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 PM

6,438 posts, read 9,983,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I'd say Atlanta, Boston, Miami and Philadelphia are already world class. Atlanta for its airport/global companies, Boston being the premier educational city of the United States, Miami being the capital of Latin America, and Philadelphia being a huge IT and biotechnology/health care leader.
Philadelphia is world class? I definitely missed that memo.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:31 AM

553 posts, read 484,705 times
FYI, I did not start this thread to make any particular city look bad, as I'm more interested in seeing which cities will be the next to join our collection of world class cities. I love all of our cities and I want to see them prosper. Its just that you guys/girls are so informed and I'm like a sponge looking to absorb as much knowledge from you as I can. Nothing gives me the feeling I get standing downtown Chicago, knowing I have access to world class amenities, excellent food, great shopping, and countless things to do I love big cities and I take pride in seeing our cities so high on different world/global rankings year after year.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:43 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,353,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
FYI, I did not start this thread to make any particular city look bad, as I'm more interested in seeing which cities will be the next to join our collection of world class cities. I love all of our cities and I want to see them prosper. Its just that you guys/girls are so informed and I'm like a sponge looking to absorb as much knowledge from you as I can. Nothing gives me the feeling I get standing downtown Chicago, knowing I have access to world class amenities, excellent food, great shopping, and countless things to do I love big cities and I take pride in seeing our cities so high on different world/global rankings year after year.
There's another calamity of a thread that poses the same issue. No one is defining "world class". Why don't you provide a definition and list examples of world class cities, including some from outside the US for the sake of context?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Large economy, bustling city center, big city amenities, pro sports, airports, fortune 500, great food, museums, great public transportation, global connectivity, nightlife, tourist attractions, niche industries etc.. While I'm not expecting a city to possess all those things, it should have majority of the items listed.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Honestly, I don't know much about other countries besides what I learned in college and what I learn from you guys. I do a little research as well, but outside of economics and history/geography I don't really don't know much about other cities outside of the US. I do plan to change that in the future.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,342,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
I've heard Minneapolis itself is fairly poised to make a big bounce up the world ranking ladder, but until certain things occur it's still stuck in Beta-minus world. Some of those things include a flurry of hi-end national/international retail downtown and at MOA, hi-end hotels, new stadiums/stadii, continued downtown growth and expansion for both working and living residents, and continued build-out of the regional LRT system. Having the Green Line now connecting both downtowns and the airport/MOA was a big boost as well. The region is also continuing to make strides to expand bike-only lanes and bike/car sharing options.

It's not tremendously different than a what lot of other Beta/edge-class World cities are experiencing lately, but the notable difference for the Twin Cities is that much of this didn't previously exist and there hasn't been much of any speculative investment yet, so there's no real bubble to have burst or oversupply to cause a meltdown.

I think it's one of a few select places that's truly between two different worlds. There's something about being at the 3-4 million population mark that seemingly changes cities: I remember the same thing happening to Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Seattle (and arguably Phoenix) when they were in the 3 millions for population. Cities don't seem to stay long at that mark, hence, why there are so few cities in that range currently. Just a theory I guess.

Here's my shot at cities/metros poised to take that next step between classes/relativity:

San Francisco and D.C. to become truly World Class, if they're not already (at similar level as Chicago and LA, but not NYC)
Seattle, Dallas, Houston and Philly to step into the lower rung of World Class cities, and be more universally accepted as such (similar tier as Boston, for ex., but not necessarily as high)
Minneapolis-St. Paul, Denver and possibly Pittsburgh to step into the void between National Class and World Class (a tier few stay in, but Seattle is arguably in it or just left it)
Charlotte, San Antonio, Austin, Orlando, and Raleigh-Durham to become more universally-renown National Class cities (similar cities include San Diego, Tampa, Portland, etc. or formerly Denver, MSP, etc.)
Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Oakland, Baltimore and possibly Buffalo to reestablish themselves again as legit cities in their respective classes (more of an awakening than a movement, per se)

Other cities not listed aren't necessarily faltering, but are still solidly within their respective ranks at the moment. I'm also probably missing some key cities that are truly shifting, but really don't want to have to list every single major city either.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 11-21-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 10:03 AM

5,101 posts, read 6,880,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Seattle is not a top tier city. I don't think you're hating on Atlanta, I don't like the city either but if you think Seattle is in the same tier as the cities you listed then you're one funny character. Do you honestly think it is in the same tier as NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, DC, Frankfurt?

Education
Economy
Transportation
Food scene
Muesems
International and national influence
Tourism
Shopping
Architecture
Cosmopolitan
Historic
Affluent
Power
Sports
International significance

These are all aspects of a world class city. There's also more aspects aswell, ask yourself does Seattle posses most of these?
Different cities offer different things in order to reach their status of being"world-class". I think Seattle has a large enough economic importance, as well offer enough cultural uniqueness, in order IMO to a a world class city. It is a destination, unlike Atlanta which is not so much (other than through its airport).

I think of World class cities as cities I'd put on my brochure for places to visit in the world, and I wouldn't recommend someone from Europe or Asia going to visit Atlanta. But I would say, check out Seattle because it is a charming city with great views and quality dining.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,937,974 times
Atlanta is the biggest debate, I believe it is a world class city since it did host the Olympics, you cannot be a world class city and host the biggest event in the world... others believe Atlanta is not world class. Seattle is world class I think but others do not agree. Miami is not a world class city, same with Vegas just because its a big tourist destination and a popular city doesn't mean its world class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or