U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2014, 06:59 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 1,812,357 times
Reputation: 921

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And what's your point? The GaWC study is completely irrelevant to this thread. Why do people always bring up that inane study, and then misuse it to rank cities? No one even bothers to read what that study ranks.

I think you're completely crazy. NYC and LA are the clear world-class cities in the U.S. How is Columbus the next NYC or LA?

DC, Chicago, and SF are borderline. A few more cities you could maybe make a straight-faced argument. Columbus and Indy aren't even top U.S. cities, so there's no way they are top global cities, and no, they aren't "up and coming" in the global sense.

How can the #30 or whatever city in the U.S. be one of the top cities in the world? How does that make even a hint of sense?
DC, Chicago and SF are alpha world class cities. They're not borderline world class......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 1,812,357 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
LOL

The rude comment was this

I'm not offended, just thought it was funny that you replied with that instead of providing links to back up your claim.

Sorry if you felt offended my my reply post, but I was not trying to insult you or troll. It just felt like you had a personal bias against Seattle and were using my posts to exploit that. Clearly you don't, because anyone who loves Chai from Starbucks is not only a fan of Seattle, but a good judge of taste!

What I am confused on is these so called "world class rankings" that you alluded to above. Which rankings and what source are you pulling from? From my understanding World-class rankings are simply an opinion by whoever ranks them. Example: A travel agency, newspaper, magazine, etc... It is not like someone can compile stats which would make one city appear to be more world-class than the other in the same way you can rank cities based off of crime, education, COL, etc... It is all in the eye of the beholder. Again, I personally feel that Seattle has an edge on Atlanta in terms of being world-class. You however feel compelled to argue against my opinion, which is ok. I base my opinions based on personal experience and impression. I would identify myself as a trendy person, so naturally Seattle would win between the two.

Maybe we should meet at Starbucks and discuss this over a Venti Chai.

Well they actually come out with an annual ranking every year and they base it on aspects and characteristics that world class cities posses such as economy, transit, food scene, etc. If world class cities were based on preference one could say LA is not a world class city because they simply did not have a good experience or wasn't impressed. Although, LA is definently a world class city so it's actually based on aspects and not opinions.

Yeah we can get Starbucks, I like the pumpkin spice latte as well and the salted caramel hot chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,514 posts, read 9,056,969 times
Reputation: 5009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And what's your point? The GaWC study is completely irrelevant to this thread. Why do people always bring up that inane study, and then misuse it to rank cities? No one even bothers to read what that study ranks.

I think you're completely crazy. NYC and LA are the clear world-class cities in the U.S. How is Columbus the next NYC or LA?

DC, Chicago, and SF are borderline. A few more cities you could maybe make a straight-faced argument. Columbus and Indy aren't even top U.S. cities, so there's no way they are top global cities, and no, they aren't "up and coming" in the global sense.

How can the #30 or whatever city in the U.S. be one of the top cities in the world? How does that make even a hint of sense?
You are getting way too worked up about this. I think the people who rank cities in GaWC use a lot more detailed criteria than you do. I like how you mention Chicago as a "borderline" world class city. It's actually ranked higher in GaWC than is Los Angeles, but that's an inane study to you with no merit, you'd rather go by your own views, based on what I wonder?

Indy and Columbus are just a few of the up and coming global cities. No one, not myself nor anyone else on this thread insinuated that either one of those cities will become the next NYC. You fabricated that craziness all on your own. Boston is considered a world class city but was not always in that category, it had to start somewhere. Houston was not always where it is today, it once had a beginning, just as Dallas did. If you read the question to this thread it's asking what cities are going to be our next major global cities. Well 60 years ago I'm sure there was someone like you how talked down about Dallas being a major global player, and here we are today, Dallas as the 4th largest metropolitan area in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 08:26 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,465,049 times
Reputation: 1483
Our NOLA 101.....she likes to come in comment.... instill SHOCK VALUE and always lesson Chicago every chance she can....
SHOCK gains lot of Quotes value in responses. She usually sits backs and enjoys the ride...others who get agitated who respond.

But ON TOPIC... Chicago already given honor by the GaWC title with LA ...as being Alpha cities. Chicago is One notch from Alpha+ status. The next level up.
NYC with London are the only Alpha++ cities.
To be a Global city and World-Class ....is in its influence in the world. Not merely being cosmopolitan in ethnic make-up? Its business level in importance plays a key roll too.
San Francisco is the closest Alpha- city to move to Alpha. Then comes Washington DC, Miami and Atlanta.

Last edited by steeps; 11-23-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Status: "RIP Solomon Tekah" (set 9 days ago)
 
1,223 posts, read 581,166 times
Reputation: 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The difference between Seattle and Atlanta is that Seattle has a distinct culture and it's own vibrancy, where Atlanta is just a hub for "service-America". People from around the world come to Seattle to visit because it is unique and offers things you can't get in another place. People don't visit Atlanta like they do other cities because there is nothing that sets Atlanta apart.
Okay, not trying to be rude but what exactly is Seattle's culture? What makes it so unique that it causes people to want to come from around the world to take it in. It's a fairly new city so I am confused by your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 09:18 PM
 
Location: 304
5,093 posts, read 6,860,647 times
Reputation: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Okay, not trying to be rude but what exactly is Seattle's culture? What makes it so unique that it causes people to want to come from around the world to take it in. It's a fairly new city so I am confused by your post.
Seattle is a trend setter. Add that with the grit of the Northwest Coastline, the adventure crowd and proximity to extreme recreation, and bundle that with talented people who are artistic in every which way. I'm not from Seattle so this is totally an observation. Not saying other cities don't have this, but Seattle does it pretty well. Kind of reminds me of a much larger Burlington, VT which I live near now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 09:21 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 1,812,357 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Our NOLA 101.....she likes to come in comment.... instill SHOCK VALUE and always lesson Chicago every chance she can....
SHOCK gains lot of Quotes value in responses. She usually sits backs and enjoys the ride...others who get agitated who respond.

But ON TOPIC... Chicago already given honor by the GaWC title with LA ...as being Alpha cities. Chicago is One notch from Alpha+ status. The next level up.
NYC with London are the only Alpha++ cities.
To be a Global city and World-Class ....is in its influence in the world. Not merely being cosmopolitan in ethnic make-up? Its business level in importance plays a key roll too.
San Francisco is the closest Alpha- city to move to Alpha. Then comes Washington DC, Miami and Atlanta.
DC is in the same tier as SF..... Both alpha+

Miami is 3 tiers below DC because it's beta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 11:37 PM
 
6,816 posts, read 6,950,655 times
Reputation: 5486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Seattle is a trend setter. Add that with the grit of the Northwest Coastline, the adventure crowd and proximity to extreme recreation, and bundle that with talented people who are artistic in every which way. I'm not from Seattle so this is totally an observation. Not saying other cities don't have this, but Seattle does it pretty well. Kind of reminds me of a much larger Burlington, VT which I live near now.
It really isn't...Seattle is full of geeks and nerds...what trends are they setting? If anything, Seattle takes from SF which is a true world class city and trend setter. They are a fashion capital...if anything , Seattle is criticized for it's awful fashion.

Seattle is overstated for it's "culture" and character. There's a bunch of bland 4-6 story apartment buildings going up in Seattle the same way Atlanta is and to try to put Seattle on the level of NYC, SF, Chicago, D.C., and L.A. is retarded LOL. They've been large urban centers for a long time now and why they have so much history and character. Seattle lacks that old school urban character that those cities have. I mean, Seattle until recently has been a lily white city with no diverse character...at all.

All of the cities I mentioned as world class gets over 1 million international visitors a year...guess what Seattle gets? A whopping 481,000....mmmk...world class my ass.

Source: http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...and_Cities.pdf

Just because a bunch of white hipsters and techies want to claim Seattle is this and that does not mean the whole country is jumping on the bandwagon. It's only a matter of time before the tech bubble busts. As you said, it's a trend city. Trends come and go...

I just don't see a city like Seattle having more character than a city like Atlanta, nor do I see it being placed up there with NYC, SF, and Chicago. That's laughable. Come back to me when the city is important enough to actually draw a large number of overseas visitors. Until them, Seattle..like Atlanta is just an afterthought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2014, 06:21 AM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,465,049 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
DC is in the same tier as SF..... Both alpha+

Miami is 3 tiers below DC because it's beta
That was the 2010 GaWC list. By 2012 They bumped .....CHICAGO....... down to top of Alpha list from a 2 year spot as a Alpha+ city. BEIJING.... up to a Alpha+ to bump Chicago. Then WASHINGTON DC got bumped half way down the list to Alpha- from Alpha. MIAMI... is a Alpha- city now just a few spots under DC.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2012

.

Last edited by steeps; 11-24-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 1,812,357 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
That was the 2010 GaWC list. By 2012 They bumped .....CHICAGO....... down to top of Alpha list from a 2 year spot as a Alpha+ city. BEIJING.... up to a Alpha+ to bump Chicago. Then WASHINGTON DC got bumped half way down the list to Alpha- from Alpha. MIAMI... is a Alpha- city now just a few spots under DC.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2012

.
There's an updated GAWC 2014 list I believe? DC is going to bump up because of all the development not just SF. Also, Miami will move up I think but not pretty sure. As for Atlanta the economic growth is sterile at the moment and it's not that popular as it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top