U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:31 PM

545 posts, read 816,584 times

Advertisements

Edison, NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 01:12 AM

642 posts, read 491,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Doctor Z I would advise you to look into Marfa, Texas. Just to let you know it's not your ordinary town.

The Official Marfa, Texas Chamber of Commerce Website
Marfa looks like a big tourist trap! It's also quite cold for being so far south.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
It sounds like you need a survivalist community. Any ordinary small American town will have plenty of people on food stamps, SS and disability. There is a self sufficiency forum here, maybe they can help.

As for distance: my advice, don't worry so much. I used to live up hill from the projects in a very tranquil and safe neighborhood. Not far in miles but the very steep hill kept criminals away. Go someplace that's not scenic and you don't have to worry about tourists.
On top of a hill is good. Then I could put up a Ham Radio Repeater System.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Yeah, I think that's what we're all looking for, ultimately

These libertarian "utopias" always end up like this: Galt's Gulch Chile: Libertarian Paradise Turned Nightmare

Basically, what you're looking for doesn't exist on the planet, let alone in this country.
Oh it exists if you're rich enough. I buy an island if I was that rich, but I have to settle for a rich little town that doesn't welcome strangers very much.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:57 AM

5,954 posts, read 7,324,357 times
Coudersport, PA

Old 11-28-2014, 12:29 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
Oh it exists if you're rich enough. I buy an island if I was that rich, but I have to settle for a rich little town that doesn't welcome strangers very much.
Name the US island where this exists. You cannot operate outside US jurisdiction just because you live on an island. You're still under US law, pay US taxes, take part in the US economy, etc. Take it from me, someone who's spent a lot of time on islands, including numerous private ones.

Again, if you're even a serious poster, what you're looking for does not work, and attempts in the past have been laughable failures.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Name the US island where this exists. You cannot operate outside US jurisdiction just because you live on an island. You're still under US law, pay US taxes, take part in the US economy, etc. Take it from me, someone who's spent a lot of time on islands, including numerous private ones.

Again, if you're even a serious poster, what you're looking for does not work, and attempts in the past have been laughable failures.
It wouldn't be a US island, it would be one of those islands where you purchase it and declare yourself a sovereign country. I don't know if any of them are still for sale though.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Here is an example of what I meant:

Buy your own island nation, $975M - USATODAY.com

Old 11-28-2014, 12:49 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
It wouldn't be a US island, it would be one of those islands where you purchase it and declare yourself a sovereign country. I don't know if any of them are still for sale though.
There aren't and like I said, you cannot find this in the US.

The only sure way to do this outside the US is to become a tyrant.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:10 PM

7,405 posts, read 10,074,334 times
Didn't the Alabama state legislature pass laws prohibiting Agenda 21? That gives you a whole state full of towns in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or