Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'm sure it'll probably motivate a few people to move south, but depending on where they go they'll be trading long, crappy winters for equally long & crappy summers. You can add layers when it's cold. When it's 90+ with 50-80% humidity there's only so much clothing you can remove before getting hauled off to jail.
We took a few trips south during the summer and we couldn't take the humidity. As someone else
mentioned, I can bundle up and stay warm. I will admit that when the lake affect snow arrives,
it does make traveling difficult. But snow has it's rewards: fruit and vegetable seasons.
-10" inches of snow equals one inch of rain which provides moisture that moves down to the soil slowly,
is a soil insulator and promotes root growth.
It gives us these rewards, yum (link below).

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...n_324586_7.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:27 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
And I'm tired of people acting like you can't go out when it's cold. That's why there's winter bbq, parties, events, hike, camp, etc. You don't have to stay indoors in the winter whatsoever, and I don't know why you would except perhaps on days when the conditions are unusually severe.
+1 that's the most annoying thing about winter to me. People from the south who think all of us huddle in bed for 4 months.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:28 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems an abnormal cold spell is covering most of the USA with lots of snow.
Does this motivate people to move further south perhaps to Florida?
Um, no. That's absurd. This is just a really big cold snap that came early in the winter, not the beginning of some new ice age. I seriously doubt there's going to be some mass exodus of people moving South just because of an early freeze.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:31 AM

25 posts, read 32,097 times
I wish I could move south. I can't stand winter. There's nothing to do around here this time of year unless you're into winter sports. I hate having to suit up like an astronaut just to go outside and still freeze my butt off.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:46 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Even last winter was not enough to make me give up the normally temperate April through November weather that we have here in Michigan, and most people that I know seem to feel the same way. I mean, our entire lives and the things that make life worth living like family, jobs, social activities, etc., are here for us, so why would we move just because of some snow, especially considering that the other 75% of the year is so lovely here?

We drove to Florida last February to visit my in-laws who were wintering in Orlando. First off, I could never, ever live in Florida for many reasons, so that state is out. About the farthest south I would be willing to go would be northern Georgia and when we stopped to spend the night in the Atlanta area, the temps were in the 20s, the grass was dead, and the trees were bare, just like at home in the winter. Unless a place is warm and green in the winter like Florida (which again, I could never live in), then really what's the point of moving for the weather when it's still cold and dead looking in the winter anyway?

Snowbirding someday down the road from January through March, maybe. Permanently moving? Never.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:14 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
Bias in society and the media seems to always be tilted heavily towards the hotter the better year round and life will be like living in paradise. To me the sweet spot is areas with shorter cold grey winters and shorter hot humid summers but with longer specatacular spring and fall type weather. Mid Atlantic to mid south preferred to the extremes of say a Buffalo or Miami all IMHO..

Old 11-22-2014, 11:59 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Bias in society and the media seems to always be tilted heavily towards the hotter the better year round and life will be like living in paradise. To me the sweet spot is areas with shorter cold grey winters and shorter hot humid summers but with longer specatacular spring and fall type weather. Mid Atlantic to mid south preferred to the extremes of say a Buffalo or Miami all IMHO..
Personally, that'd be my ideal as well. Cincinnati comes to mind. Smack dab in the middle. Though they get extremes, too. Hot and cold.

Or gain elevation in places like Knoxville or Asheville. It rarely gets above 90 in the summer (particularly Asheville) and, while it does go below 32 a good bit during winter, the duration isn't as bad and snow averages are lower than locales further north.

I suppose if you REALLY want to escape the extremes, a move out to San Diego would be ideal.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
I think people who live in cold-winter climates but hate winter weather should just quit complaining and move South already. Let those of us who either like or simply don't mind cold weather stay behind and enjoy having more room to play in the snow.

Just don't start having second thoughts when you have to live through triple-digits for months on end in the summer.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:10 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If a few weeks' worth of cold weather prompted people to move south, no one would be left north of the 35th parallel or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
6 ft. of snow is nothing, you just need to keep up on it.
LOL. I salute you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
And I'm tired of people acting like you can't go out when it's cold. That's why there's winter bbq, parties, events, hike, camp, etc. You don't have to stay indoors in the winter whatsoever, and I don't know why you would except perhaps on days when the conditions are unusually severe.
There's no such thing as bad weather; there is only inappropriate clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.