U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:24 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,468,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovaks View Post
Hello,

I am currently employed in Los Angeles, California and absolutely hate it here. I NEED to move A.S.A.P. but I have no idea where to go, so I was help you folks could give me some suggestions... The main thing I dislike about L.A. is the entire lifestyle. I am an introverted conservative type living amongst extraverted liberal types and it's not working out. I want to move somewhere that has four seasons, not continuously temperate like L.A. I want to go somewhere that has more conservative politics (not necesarilly Southern cities) but moderate will do. I don't like to have a large group of friends and in L.A. people look down on you for not partaking in the hedonistic clubbing scene. I want to go somewhere where social life is dominated by bars not clubs and where the people want to talk about current affairs or sports rather than their social media footprint or that summer in their junior year that they went to Guatemala and helped build a hospital and how this makes them a better person. To sum it up, I want to move somewhere with:

...four seasons (but not hot and humid all year round).
...conservative/moderate politics.
...introverted people.
...a bar scene NOT a clubbing scene.
...not a ridiculously high cost of living.
...low to medium crime rate (nowhere that consistently makes the top 100 crime cities).

Any other criteria you suggest I add?

Please advise me on where to move!

- Mike K
Naperville, IL sounds perfect for you. 4 seasons, conservative, introverts, great bar scene, and ultra low crime rate. The COL is high, but not ridiculous. Youll find it cheap compared to LA. Check it out online, its a great city I would recommend to anyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:57 AM

56,778 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
-Four Seasons, although it does sometimes get that lake effect snow so winters can be harsher, but not terribly cold.
-Conservative
-Idk about introverted, although I don't know how you would classify a place as "introverted"
-Lots of really nice bars. Definenlty more of a bar scene.
-Cost of living is under the nation's average, and even under Michigan's average. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Definenlty alot better than Cali
-Crime is typical for a larger city, it's never (to my knowledge) been on the top 100 most dangerous cities
Don't let the smallish population fool you, the surrounding cities of Walker, Kentwood, and Wyoming were incorporated to prevent Grand Rapids from annexing them, it's actual urbanized area population is about 570,000, which is about as big as the urbanized area of cities like Colorado Springs and Baton Rouge. It's a nice place.
^This and nearby Holland may fit, in spite of being a smaller city.

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2014 at 05:39 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,808 times
You should consider Knoxville, TN. Tennessee is a Red State, so politics are very conservative; there is, however, a diverse population to keep things interesting. Knoxville has a great bar scene with lots of musical talent and caters to just about whatever interests you have. If you like the outdoors, less than an hour's drive will take you to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, as well as any number of lakes and rivers for water sports and recreation. You have blooming cherry trees and dogwoods in the spring, hot and very green summers, the prettiest, most vibrant foliage you've ever seen for fall, and in the winter, just enough snow to appreciate spring when it rolls around again (maybe 4 decent snows a season in a bad year). It's great country for hiking and biking - both mountain biking and motorcycling - year round. Seasons and weather are very distinct, there's no fear of earthquakes, tsunamis, blizzards, hurricanes, or flooding; the worst we ever see is a VERY occasional tornado sighting.

If you're more of a cultural person, there are many museums and historical places to visit in the area - everything from modern art to Appalachian Folk. Knoxville has its own Symphony and Opera companies, as well as lots of bars to enjoy more moderns genres.

Knoxville is a sports lover's heaven. People here live and die, breathe and bleed SEC football. You'll love the rivalry that goes on each football season when it comes time for the Tennessee Vols to play the Florida Gators, or Auburn, or Ole Miss - there's nothing like it.There's a sports bar on every corner. Former basketball coach Pat Head Summitt has built a legacy for women's basketball in the area; the men's basketball coach is working hard to live up to it. Knoxville also lays claim to its own baseball and hockey teams, so there's pretty much something going on no matter what the season.

Knoxville is located in the Bible Belt, so you find lots of churches of many denominations in the area. Religion is a very individual thing here, however. No one judges you if you choose not to worship, although you can be expected to be invited by the friendly folks in the area. There is a surprisingly large LGBT community in the area, although it isn't an in-your-face confrontational presence. Everyone is amazingly tolerant in this area.

Knoxville is very family-friendly if you decide to raise a family here. It doesn't sound like that's an immediate need for you, but it might be something to keep in mind. It's safe, quiet, and offers a good deal of diversity. You should check it out.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:09 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,468,192 times
OP, I don't think Chicago is what you're looking for. I think that it would drive you crazy in a different (yet similar) way that LA does.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 8,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
OP, I don't think Chicago is what you're looking for. I think that it would drive you crazy in a different (yet similar) way that LA does.
I've never been but have always been attracted to the city. Why do you think it wouldn't work for me? I honestly want to know because I know little about the "vibe" of the city etc

Old 11-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I've never been but have always been attracted to the city. Why do you think it wouldn't work for me? I honestly want to know because I know little about the "vibe" of the city etc
I love both LA and Chicago, but Chicago is the kind of place where strangers have no problem telling you how to live your life. "Living amongst extraverted liberal types and it's not working out", and "I want to go somewhere that has more conservative politics", don't exactly ring the bells for Chicago (quite the opposite actually).

Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I love both LA and Chicago, but Chicago is the kind of place where strangers have no problem telling you how to live your life. "Living amongst extraverted liberal types and it's not working out", and "I want to go somewhere that has more conservative politics", don't exactly ring the bells for Chicago (quite the opposite actually).
Chicago isn't that liberal is it?

Old 11-21-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Chicago isn't that liberal is it?
Watch WGN News on cable for a few weeks and report back. What goes on there on the daily (cronyism, unions, corrupt politicians) doesn't exactly do liberals any favors. The whole reason Illinois is blue is because of Chicago and some of the collar counties. It is the 17th most liberal city out of the 237 largest cities in the U.S per this.

Chicago is a high tax city, with more people (than average) reliant on the government in some fashion. It is worse than Los Angeles in this regard, and I say this as a liberal who loves both cities.

I mean, we're talking about the land of Barack Obama, Rahm Emanuel, Richard Daley, Rod Blagojevich, etc. etc. here.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 AM

697 posts, read 1,158,142 times
I suspect that a change in locale won't change the source of your unhappiness. Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Watch WGN News on cable for a few weeks and report back. What goes on there on the daily (cronyism, unions, corrupt politicians) doesn't exactly do liberals any favors. The whole reason Illinois is blue is because of Chicago and some of the collar counties. It is the 17th most liberal city out of the 237 largest cities in the U.S per this.

Chicago is a high tax city, with more people (than average) reliant on the government in some fashion. It is worse than Los Angeles in this regard, and I say this as a liberal who loves both cities.

I mean, we're talking about the land of Barack Obama, Rahm Emanuel, Richard Daley, Rod Blagojevich, etc. etc. here.
True, would anywhere in the Midwest work? I'm from the upper south (Arkansas) and like the Midwestern states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
I suspect that a change in locale won't change the source of your unhappiness. Wherever you go, there you are.
The source of my unhappiness is a result of my location. I was fine among likeminded individuals until I moved out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or