U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:07 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,345,615 times

Advertisements

What city and state are you currently living in?
Dover, Ohio

How is the job market?
Not so hot, being in the Rust Belt, it's even harder to get a job here than it is in most of the country.

Is a car a must or is public transportation reliable?
Dover and New Philadelphia have more things in walking distance than anywhere else in Tuscarawas County but owning a vehicle is hugely recommended.

What's the average cost of living? (rent, electric, gas etc)
It has the highest cost in the county but it's Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedcheaper than the average place.
Would you recommend a family/friend to move there?
Depends, it's a very safe place to live and raise a family but it doesn't offer much for the people in their 20s.

How is the weather?
It's more of a regular humid continental climate than Cleveland or Akron, it's a good enough distance south of the Snowbelt.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2014 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:23 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzforgetful View Post
Can I ask why you wouldn't want to live in Phoenix or SC?
Well, all of my extended family as well as my husband's are here, I hate extended periods of extremely hot weather whether it's humid or not, and I feel that too many people are moving to those places for superficial reasons causing congestion, insane traffic, and poorly planned sprawl.

People here are very friendly, down to earth, and helpful. I didn't get that vibe in Phoenix or coastal SC where so many people are transplants with no roots and seem to be all about themselves. I actually feel bad for the natives in those places.

They are both nice places in many ways, they're just not for me on a full-time basis.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:33 PM

522 posts, read 555,054 times
What city and state are you currently living in? Fauquier County, Virginia
How is the job market? About 80% of our residents are commuters into the DC-metro area. We have a few younger people working in the service industry. Our county has one of the highest average salaries in the country.
Is a car a must or is public transportation reliable? A car is a must.
What's the average cost of living? (rent, electric, gas etc) Housing is pretty expensive. You'd be hard pressed to rent an apartment below $1400 a month.
Would you recommend a family/friend to move there? It depends on your personality and career. You have to be willing to accept a life of commuting if you live here. We are kind of a nice haven away from the hustle and bustle of DC while still being pretty close to the action. That said, Fauquier county is pretty rural.
How is the weather? Not the best. It's hot, sticky and humid in the Summer and cold in the Winter. The fall is beautiful and crisp, but it is short. We supposedly have a "mild" climate here but I really don't think so. We average snowfall about 6 times a year.
Picture of average landscape:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/loa.images/i...18524774-p.jpg

Do I like living here? No. It is not my type of place. I'm not the money-driven, corporate commuter type that goes to polo matches on weekends off. I live here because I was born here and will be moving soon. It's a nice place, but it's just not for me.

Last edited by JMT; 11-21-2014 at 10:09 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
I live in Fairfield County, CT and absolutely hate it due to extreme traffic congestion, extreme housing costs and the influx of NYC culture. It's too sophisticated and there's no middle class. The only good thing, I would say, is that I like the climate. It's a good 4-season climate without extreme summers or extreme winters. Summer highs in the 80s, winter highs in the 30s.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:08 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Central NY.

So-so, as it will depend on what you can do.

Depends on where you live, with the cities and first ring suburbs having at least decent coverage. Outside of that, I'd have a car.

It is average in relation to the nation, give or take. Property taxes and utilities can be higher, but housing/rental prices are pretty low in comparison.

Yes, I would.

Winters are generally pretty tough in terms of snowfall, but it usually gets removed in a timely manner. Springs can be very fickle, with relatively mild summers and with a generally consistent, somewhat short Fall. I'd say that the Fall is the best time of year.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:29 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
What city and state are you currently living in? Pittsburgh, PA
How is the job market? Like the rest of the country - Average. Tons of minimum wage jobs.
Is a car a must or is public transportation reliable? A car is a must, though there is public transportation. When I came here the topic of public transit and expanding light rail was hot, now there is not a word about it. A dead topic. The city, like a many others, is becoming a commuter city again.
What's the average cost of living? (rent, electric, gas etc) High. When I moved here, Pittsburgh was one of the most bang for your buck cities. The word got out and Pittsburgh became trendy. Gentrification moved in along with the high COLS. Rent, a one bedroom in a decent neighborhood will start out at between $1000-1200. A one bedroom in an outlying good suburb will not be below $700. Not many people buy in the city so the housing prices are low. The hot suburbs are a different story. We have people coming here looking for 2-3 acres and a house. Lots in the 2-3 acre range start at over $200,000 for that much in the desired burbs. Car fuel, we have a gas thread over in the Pittsburgh forum. It's higher than most. In PA, Pittsburgh gets gouged a lot. It's now an expensive city and people will pay those prices.
Would you recommend a family/friend to move there? No. I am moving. I would recommend a family moving to Erie or Ohio.
How is the weather? Overcast. Think Seattle. Not at all what I expected when I moved here. The winters are milder than the snowbelt but there is less sun.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,056 times
yes i loved my country and places..

Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 AM

596 posts, read 650,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Central NY.

So-so, as it will depend on what you can do.

Depends on where you live, with the cities and first ring suburbs having at least decent coverage. Outside of that, I'd have a car.

It is average in relation to the nation, give or take. Property taxes and utilities can be higher, but housing/rental prices are pretty low in comparison.

Yes, I would.

Winters are generally pretty tough in terms of snowfall, but it usually gets removed in a timely manner. Springs can be very fickle, with relatively mild summers and with a generally consistent, somewhat short Fall. I'd say that the Fall is the best time of year.
Confusing without the OP's original questions.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 5,419 times
Thanks everyone for your responses
Gave me some places to add and subtract from my list.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,373,866 times
What city and state are you currently living in? Sammamish, WA

How is the job market? We have very few jobs here in the city with only 2 strip malls, but the job market in nearby cities, and in the area/region is great.

Is a car a must or is public transportation reliable? We have 3 cars but I use the bus to commute to Seattle and it's very reliable. You cannot get around town or anywhere on the weekends without a car, though, the buses are at commute times only.

What's the average cost of living? (rent, electric, gas etc) Electric is cheap, gas, water and sewer are pretty high, rent is fairly high with the average 1 bedroom at $1,400, starter home prices about $500,000.

Would you recommend a family/friend to move there? Yes, and do all the time.

How is the weather? Great, with rain from October-June, only 80s in summer, snow only maybe 2-3 times a year. Always green, and not too much sun.

You didn't ask, but we also have an extremely low crime rate.

America's Friendliest Towns - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.