U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:51 PM

103 posts, read 92,712 times

Advertisements

What city and state are you currently living in?
Phoenix, Arizona.

How is the job market?
I suppose it's fine for most sectors. The creative sector is NON-EXISTENT.

Is a car a must or is public transportation reliable?
Car is extremely useful and helpful but people take the rail. I never took the rail myself, as I have a car.

What's the average cost of living? (rent, electric, gas etc)
Rent is cheap, not sure about electricity and gas but I'm sure it's either at average or below average cost. I don't know exactly because I live for free in house my father owns since he lives in Portland, OR.

Would you recommend a family/friend to move there?
NO, NEVER! I'm only here because my mother has health challenges and I wanted to be near her.

How is the weather?
Bad in the summers as it's too hot. Spring is dry and there's a lot of bad stuff in the air that's likely to cause allergies and hay fever. So far with Fall (since I have only been here for 8 months) it's been bone chilling cold at night and early morning, daytime is warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 02:53 PM

398 posts, read 1,163,391 times
What city and state are you currently living in? Outside of Denver, CO.
How is the job market? Really strong right now.
Is a car a must or is public transportation reliable? No, a car is not a must, but it's faster to get around with one.
What's the average cost of living? (rent, electric, gas etc) I own a home well outside of the city, so I can't answer that.
Would you recommend a family/friend to move there? Absolutely
How is the weather? A bit psychotic, but it's a lot better than the weather in New England! We tend to have low humidity, which makes hot and cold weather more tolerable. Lots of sunny days, and we get a decent amount of mild weather during the winter.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:58 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,065,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzforgetful View Post
How is the job market?
How is the weather?

I'm looking to move but I'm debating where...
Cincinnati, OH
Im not sure, ok i guess? There arent a mass amount of open jobs but people arent begging on hand and foot either.
That matters where in Cinci you live. The cheapest rent ive ever paid was $350 and the most expensive was almost $700. 2 completely different neighborhoods in those price ranges.
Yes i would.
Crazy flip floppy.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:24 PM

15 posts, read 13,650 times
Yes, very much so.

City of St. Louis (unfortunately located in Missouri )

How is the job market?

Improving? There is a push to expand the creative class, but the city itself could certainly use more high paying jobs. Especially downtown where more people are choosing to live.

A car will definitely help. I think the city has a decent enough public transportation system with buses and a light rail line. I've taken public transit a few times and have never had a problem. Riding the light rail downtown is cool. There is also an extensive (and growing) bike lane program.

Below average for the most part. There are areas (like the Central West End) that are booming cost wise, but it's possible to find a nice place to live for a reasonable rate.

Yup, despite all the negativity that the region (especially the city receives) I can't stress enough how cool of a city St. Louis is. It's got history, architecture, and culture in spades. It's got wonderful amounts of green space (Tower Grove, Lafayette, and Forest Parks), free amenities like the zoo, Missouri History Museum, and art museum. I've had a blast living here the past year.

How is the weather?

You're going to get your four seasons. The summers can be oppressive. Talking serious heat with humidity. Winters are cold and I enjoy the snow that's fallen. Spring and Fall are absolutely phenomenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.