U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:38 AM

38 posts, read 49,357 times

Advertisements

In a few decades will Hispanics become the majority of the American population? It seems that way because California is majority Mexican and Latino now with whites being the minority? I also hear places like NYC are becoming more Latino oriented? from what I see of schools in the US, a large group of students are Latino or Black as opposed to White or anybody else? or is this mainly in large cities? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:17 AM

16,438 posts, read 22,372,517 times
Non Hispanic whites still make up 70 percent of the US population and immigration out of Mexico has halted as that countries economy has improved.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:13 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,884,812 times
Not going to happen. As it is, Asians are already outpacing Mexicans and all Latino groups. The only growth in terms of immigrants i see is from Central America...especially if those governments continue as is. Also, immigration from Africa is on the rise...both in the US and Canada.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,787,935 times
Sooner rather than later if the Tyrant has his way.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:26 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,443,437 times
It won't happen anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Not going to happen. As it is, Asians are already outpacing Mexicans and all Latino groups. The only growth in terms of immigrants i see is from Central America...especially if those governments continue as is. Also, immigration from Africa is on the rise...both in the US and Canada.
The number of central Americans in the US is still small compared to Mexicans, and its not like immigration from Mexico has stopped. The governments in central america are no better or worse than the one in Mexico.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:55 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,034,316 times
Seems in the future the notion of "Hispanic/Latino" won't really be as much of a thing. Right now a distinct Hispanic identity is driven by the fact that many are immigrants or 2nd generation children of immigrants.

But, in the future most of the growth will be driven by 3rd/4th generation decedents of Latin American immigrants. Over time there interests will diverge and they will probably just melt into the general population. A 4th generation college educated person whose grandma came from Mexico may not feel much in common with a newly arrived migrant worker from El Salvador. Sort of like the notion that people don't really care much about the Italian or Jewish "races" the way people did 100 years ago.

Of course one difference from Southern/Eastern European in that many Hispanics have non-European ancestry. But, it's almost certainly clear that Hispanics and Asians won't have the same distinct, cohesive identify that African-Americans forged through Slavery/Segregation/racism.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,767,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithmaster99 View Post
In a few decades will Hispanics become the majority of the American population? It seems that way because California is majority Mexican and Latino now with whites being the minority? I also hear places like NYC are becoming more Latino oriented? from what I see of schools in the US, a large group of students are Latino or Black as opposed to White or anybody else? or is this mainly in large cities? Any thoughts?
No, and anyone who thinks so is a bit paranoid.

One thing I do want to know is- why do people ignore the large growth of other groups in the US, such as Middle Eastern people and Asians? They are everywhere in California. Its strange, that there is this sole focus on the growth of the Latin American population and these other groups are ignored?

In fact, even though I am Mexican as a youngster in CA I grew up with mostly Asian friends(Vietnamese, Japanese). I eat mostly Asian foods- Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese. Bring on the Korean tacos!

I also have many, many Middle Eastern friends as well. (From Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Saudi Arabia).

Most kids growing up in the US are just a part of the melting pot, and if anything, they just blend in regardless of their heritage.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,995 times
The non Hispanic white population of the US is larger than the population of Mexico, so all of Mexico could move here and the US would still have more anglo whites.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:14 PM

3,758 posts, read 2,573,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The non Hispanic white population of the US is larger than the population of Mexico, so all of Mexico could move here and the US would still have more anglo whites.
The white population is also much older than the hispanic population with a much lower birth rate.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:00 AM

38 posts, read 49,357 times
By 2050 I heard that the US would become majority Latino, already large parts of the country are majority Latino such as California and Texas. This may not happen, this question is mainly out of curiosity not any paranoia or prejudice just making it clear, I'm aware that America is a melting pot of many different cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or