U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:02 AM

12,340 posts, read 10,323,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I've lived in Texas and never considered it Southern, except for the LA transplants in Houston. Texas is Southwestern.

I wouldn't waste time in Texas. The Alamo is tiny and so is the riverwalk. It will take you about 1 hr at the most to see both. Austin has bats that fly out in the evening and bars. That is about it. Visit Louisiana and the Old South instead.

When a large part of your state wants to secede, I would hardly call it "not southern". The only part of this country that hated the Fed Govt enough to go to war with it was the South. In my experience the attitude there has not changed much since 1860. And Texas was a part of that whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 AM

44,989 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
When a large part of your state wants to secede, I would hardly call it "not southern".
Tell me more about this supposed "large part of my state" that wants to secede.

No wait - if I ask you to do that, you'll just go off on some anti southern rant again. I'll tell YOU about what percentage of my state "wants to secede."

64,000 signatures were added to a petition for secession that was sent to Washington back in about 2009.
Texas Wants To Secede From America More Than Any Other State - US News

That figure has grown to 125,000 signatures.

Texas has over 26 million residents.

To put this in perspective, there are petitions filed from ALL FIFTY STATES asking to secede from the Union. New Jersey's petition has over 14,000 signatures - just so you know.
2012 state petitions for secession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-23-2014, 11:36 AM

522 posts, read 556,099 times
Quote:
When a large part of your state wants to secede, I would hardly call it "not southern". The only part of this country that hated the Fed Govt enough to go to war with it was the South. In my experience the attitude there has not changed much since 1860. And Texas was a part of that whole thing.
Texas was as much a help to the South as California was to the North... the biggest states of the confederacy were mostly along the Atlantic seaboard. Oh, and no, the majority of people in the state DON'T want secession!

Old 11-23-2014, 12:30 PM

34,699 posts, read 33,718,482 times
Come in late April/early May or October when it's pleasant, temperature-wise and green or colorful). Do not come between the second week of November and April 15 if the main purpose of your visit is to see natural things like trees, mountains, waterfalls, flowers and birds because there won't be any leaves on the trees and your photos will look blah. Go to festivals to sample Southern food and drink, listen to music (bluegrass, country, rock and roll, jazz/blues and gospel) and to talk to people. They are usually free to get in. The South never met a festival it didn't like. They are plentiful between April and October. The South also does a lot of living history events. Look at the calendars on the Travel and Tourism websites for individual states to see what's happening while you are here. It's very hot here June through September so if you plan to do a lot of walking around, don't come then.

If you plan to visit any National Wildlife Refuges (especially on the coast), do it in May, and look for ones with wildlife drives or autoloops because you can do those faster if you are only here for a limited time. Go when the sun comes up. Get bug spray.

Last edited by LauraC; 11-23-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,831,940 times
Quote:
That was over a hundred years ago. Texas is southwestern. There is no sense of southern history in Texas. The Deep South has it.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,166,291 times
Quote:
That was over a hundred years ago. Texas is southwestern. There is no sense of southern history in Texas. The Deep South has it.
Well you're living proof that even having lived in a state doesn't mean you know that state.

It would be off topic to discuss the southerness of Texas, but there are countless threads on the subject filled with information and history on the state, that I'm sure you're completely unfamiliar with. Feel free to educate yourself.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 PM

44,989 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Well, considering that my kids graduated from Robert E Lee High School in Texas, I wouldn't say that's exactly true.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:59 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
From what I understand about Texas the eastern part of the state is whole heartedly part of Dixie, while the western half is more in line with the Southwest. The western part of Texas looks southwestern as well, while the Gulf coast areas are very "deep south". I live in Tennessee so this is an outsiders view of Texas, correct me if I am wrong.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,166,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
From what I understand about Texas the eastern part of the state is whole heartedly part of Dixie, while the western half is more in line with the Southwest. The western part of Texas looks southwestern as well, while the Gulf coast areas are very "deep south". I live in Tennessee so this is an outsiders view of Texas, correct me if I am wrong.
No you're correct.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:13 AM

3,803 posts, read 6,532,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yep !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or