Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 AM

214 posts, read 330,061 times

Advertisements

I am from England and I have always wanted to visit southern USA, but there are so many areas that i am a bit confused to be honest. I would like to visit South and North Carolina, Alabama and Geogia, but apart from those, I'm not sure where else i would like to visit. Texas is obviously very well known; one of the most known states in the U.S; however i've heard it's quite plain and dull, though not sure if true.

Also, there are other states i would like to see, such as Louisiana and Kentucky, but i would be hard pushed to travel to every state and experience everything. I would say that out of all of them, i would like to visit both North & South Carolina as they look really beautiful. I basically want some information and opinions on which areas of southern USA are the best areas to visit overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
I am from England and I have always wanted to visit southern USA,

From: Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As defined by the United States Census Bureau, the Southern region of the United States includes sixteen states. Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas.

I have been to all of the "Southern region" states. They all have something to offer.

I found none of them boring. Texas? Spent time in El Paso, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and have driven through the entire state several times.

It's a shame you have no interest in Arizona, Utah and New Mexico? Some spectacular scenery!

Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
I am from England and I have always wanted to visit southern USA, but there are so many areas that i am a bit confused to be honest. I would like to visit South and North Carolina, Alabama and Geogia, but apart from those, I'm not sure where else i would like to visit. Texas is obviously very well known; one of the most known states in the U.S; however i've heard it's quite plain and dull, though not sure if true.

Also, there are other states i would like to see, such as Louisiana and Kentucky, but i would be hard pushed to travel to every state and experience everything. I would say that out of all of them, i would like to visit both North & South Carolina as they look really beautiful. I basically want some information and opinions on which areas of southern USA are the best areas to visit overall.
North Carolina will give you various types of scenery/different things to do if you have some time to travel through the state. It's pretty diverse in that sense, from mountains in the west to beaches in the east.

South Carolina (Charleston particularly) is great if you're interested at all in US history. SC had a huge slave population and there are cool historical things to see around Charleston, which is a beautiful historic city.

I myself am interested in Louisiana because I have always been intrigued by bayous and that type of scenery and culture, but I've never been. New Orleans is also a city I would love to visit some day.

It sounds you are particularly interested in the Carolinas and I think that's a great starting point.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:08 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
If you had limited time I'd recommend flying into Charlotte, renting a car and driving to Charleston for a few days, then back up to Asheville, Drive the Blue ridge Parkway to interstate 77 and return to Charlotte.

For a longer stay: Fly to Atlanta, visit Savannah, St Augustine, Orlando??, Mobile, New Orleans, Nashville, the Smoky mountains. Return via Chattanooga or visit the NC mountains if you have time.

I think the Smokies are our great Southeastern treasure. But perhaps you are more interested in cities?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans and Austin are all places where I've had a blast. Nashville was surprisingly fun. I was in Miami and the Florida Keys last month and was impressed -- the most I've ever enjoyed Miami, actually, and I've been there many times -- though those places have a very different culture than the rest of the region and aren't traditionally considered part of "the South." Key West is amazing, but if it matters, there aren't many places in the U.S. that are more out of the way.

If you consider Maryland and Virginia to be the South, then that puts Washington, DC, in the South, too (and I'm well aware that's the subject of endless debate on this site). Personally, I don't find the city very Southern, but if that qualifies, it's one of my very favorite cities. Oh, if Maryland is the South (again, the subject of much argument), I love Annapolis.

Chapel Hill was nice, but all the same, I didn't love North Carolina. Oklahoma didn't exactly knock my socks off, either. In San Antonio, the Riverwalk is a great time, but I didn't find much else.

As a born-and-bred Northerner, I was pretty much raised to look down on the South, but I've always enjoyed my time there.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:30 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,568 times
The south is a huge region consisting of multiple states and geographic areas. It is rich in history and culture and also has a lot of natural beauty, so it really depends on what kinds of things you are most interested in.

IMO, the best Southern cities to visit:
1. New Orleans: unique culture. Great food (jambalaya, gumbo, po-boys), music (esp jazz), and architecture (esp in the French Quarter and Garden District). This is more of a "big city" and has a very active nightlife
2. Charleston: an Old South feel. Also has excellent food (dishes like shrimp and grits). More romantic, less of a party atmosphere
3. Nashville: has a lively nightlife. Lots of music, esp country music but other stuff as well.
4. Asheville: smaller city in the mountains. You can visit the Biltmore estate
5. Austin: IMO the most interesting city in Texas. Lots of live music, active nightlife, and great Tex-Mex food

If you want to see scenery there are lots of beaches along both the Atlantic (Destin, Gulf Shores, Panama City) and the Atlantic (Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, etc). Lots of mountains as well. The Great Smoky Mountain National Park (Tenn and NC) and Shenandoah National Park (Virginia) are good places to see the mountains.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:11 PM

522 posts, read 695,049 times
I liked Savannah when I went. Lots of historic heritage and very Southern. Much of the streets are lined with Oak trees that have Spanish Moss weeping off of their branches. They also have a really nice waterfront area with antique shops and restaurants. I will admit that it was very humid, but that's because I went during the height of Summer.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:45 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I could park myself on the beach in the Outer Banks of NC and forget about the rest of the world for several days. Some of the finest and most pristine beaches that I've been very fortunate enough to see. I love it out there, best ocean beaches on the eastern seaboard in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:17 PM

16,079 posts, read 10,744,030 times
It depends somewhat on the season you visit and if you are into nightlife. You could eat your way through the south. I'd suggest probably either Savannah or Charleston (food), Florida gulf coast beaches, New Orleans (more food) and maybe Cajun country (yes, food) in Louisiana, maybe San Antonio in Texas (still more food). To walk it off the Blue Ridge Mountains are very nice in spring, summer or fall (or the Great Smokes). There are Civil War and some Revolutionary War battlefields scattered across the south for history and more walking.

You could spend a week in North Carolina alone...great beaches, mountains, nice small towns like Winston Salem and Beaufort, Asheville is nice. I've never spent time in Charlotte but it looks nice. The Outer Banks offer some uncrowded beaches...take a ferry across the sound.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:15 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
How much time will you have? What's your main priority? What sort of southern things do you want to experience?
Scenery? Mountains, beaches, swamps, trees dripping with spanish moss, antebellum homes?
Food? Creole, Cajun, barbeque, country ham with red-eye gravy and grits?
Music? Jazz, blues, country, bluegrass?
I think I'd make a list of things that are 'must do' or 'must see' and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.