U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:41 AM

656 posts, read 1,796,489 times

Advertisements

I would say no. In my opinion being apathetic means that you truly aren't for or against something, in essence you are unbiased. I used to live in Portland, Oregon and there was always all this hype about how diverse Portland was supposed to be. But after living there a few years and seeing the population w/ my own eyes as well as looking at statistical data I can tell you that Portland isn't very diverse and is a very vanilla city. On the other hand I now live in the Las Vegas, Nevada area and I don't see half the hype about diversity that I saw in the Portland area. Again via my own experience living here and statistical data Las Vegas is much more mixed than Portland is. The scenario is much like many other things in life in that if someone or some place is the real thing then no one will need to talk a lot of hype about it b/c everyone will simply know, whereas if there is a a lot of hype about something you usually know it's false just like a lot of TV infomercials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 AM

13,227 posts, read 17,998,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have always lived in ethnically and racially diverse areas. It has a lot more pros than cons as described by many posters already.

However, I find the fact that many people consider homogeneous areas to be deficient, or worse, racist simply by virtue of their homogeneity to be an unfortunate result of over political correctness and worship of multiculturalism.
You're not the only one who's bothered by this. Sometimes a relatively homogeneous population can be explained simply by bad timing, such as when a major metropolitan area has to completely restructure its economy at the exact same time that a mass influx of Asians and Latin Americans to the United States is occurring. Labeling such a metropolitan area "deficient" or "racist" because it doesn't have Asians and Latin Americans out the ass makes as much sense as calling automakers "narrow-minded" for not having a lot of engineers who earned their degrees between 2007 and 2010.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,477,553 times
In my experience, the least diverse areas have the least problems with racism.

There are many cities that simply never attracted diverse groups of people because there wasn't anything in particular to draw them there (jobs, etc).

Old 11-25-2014, 07:06 AM

56,819 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
In my experience, the least diverse areas have the least problems with racism.

There are many cities that simply never attracted diverse groups of people because there wasn't anything in particular to draw them there (jobs, etc).
^This, as well as location plays a part in this as well. So, diversity is more of a result of attracting a wide range of people due to other factors, not for diversity's sake. Plus, there is going to be some degree of diversity in most, if not all areas in the US.

Also, be careful, as a lack of diversity could also mean an overwhelming amount of people of a different background than yours. So, you have to be specific and clear about what you mean by a lack of diversity as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-25-2014 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 AM

10,569 posts, read 13,152,378 times
I think diversity is beneficial for the most part. It's not the end all be all that many city dataers make it out to be of course.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 PM

6,872 posts, read 7,827,206 times
I grew up in a small town that was about 80% white and 20% black with just a small number of other minorities. I am white. Though classes and activities, I got to interact with the black kids my age and I felt I had a richer school experience as a result of doing so.

As an adult, I moved around a lot before settling down for 26 years working in Houston. Houston has a rich mix of Anglo, Hispanic, African American and Asian cultures. In addition, there are a number of people who live there from all over the world because Houston is the center of the US energy industry. In those years in Houston, I was inspired to learn new languages, attend performances of African American and Hispanic theatre companies, attend Chinese New Year, Cinco de Mayo and Juneteeth celebrations, and eat foods I might never have known about in the homes of friends and in small ethnic restaurants. As a result of these experiences and others, I feel privileged to have caught a small glimpse of the world through eyes other than my middle-aged white ones.

As a result of my experience in Houston, diversity was indeed a factor I considered when choosing to move to a new city a few years back. If folks want to live in areas where everyone else is like them, that is their free choice and I don't judge them. I, however, purposely sought to live in a diverse city - not because it is "politically correct" to do so, not because I wanted to brag that my city is better on some internet forum, but because my life is richer as a result.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 PM

51 posts, read 46,880 times
It's not bad for you that you don't care about whether there is diversity or not. Diversity seems to be irrelevant to your life and interests. However, for those who have a family or plan on starting one, there's a chance that their children, spouse, or other family members might enjoy actually being able to do things that are more dependent upon there being more diversity, like being able to eat more than one kind of food every single day. In my case specifically, I don't care at all about food or culture in general, though it's a nice addition to a place. My thing is languages, especially Asian languages. Unfortunately I live in the middle of Texas and even though there are over a million people here in my city, there's hardly any diversity, it's mostly just a bunch of white people and Mexicans (nothing against either of them of course, just not where my language interests are). Eventually I hope to move somewhere else with more Asians, but if I grew up somewhere diverse in the first place, perhaps I wouldn't even need to think about such a move. Basically this is one reason diversity is more desirable regardless of your own personal interests. People who like what diversity brings and those who don't care about it can both live in a diverse city and have no problem there, but the same can't be said about places that lack diversity, where people whose interests are more dependent on diversity can be miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.