U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,749 times

Advertisements

I mean this in all seriousness, I'm not trying to start a culture war. When I read a lot of the threads on this forum about people asking where they should live, or if they would like a certain area, countless people cite "diversity" as a factor they care about.

When I think about a potential place to live, there are a myriad of factors that matter to me: crime rates, quality of the school system, quality of outdoor recreation, weather, local amenities, proximity to commercial areas, professional sports and other entertainment options, reasonableness of local taxes and overall cost of living, the list goes on and on.

But I could probably name 100 things I value more in a potential spot than "diversity." I have literally zero interest in the ethnic composition of my neighbors. They could be comprised of any combination of groups, in any proportions, so long as the other factors that I do value are there.

Is this closed minded of me in some way? I don't think so, but I'm open to what other people have to say on the matter.

Are people who cite "diversity" as a key criterion doing so more to make a statement about themselves on the forum?

I wonder if my attitude is largely a product of my own upbringing. I grew up in suburban Denver. In a large high school (over 2,000 enrollment) I recall perhaps a half dozen african american kids, and larger handfuls of hispanics and asians. Despite this lack of ethnic diversity, there didn't seem to be any ethnic tension or prejudice. I just remember it as a total non-factor.

It wasn't until I spent a year living in urban Sacramento, an area much more diverse if you simply look at the data, that I felt I encountered real racism. It was the first time I had heard the n-word used in public, for example.

Anyhow, I'm just curious if I'm the only one who has this outlook on diversity as a factor in selecting a place to live, or if others are of similar mindset.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:10 PM

121 posts, read 120,709 times
The only real reason I like it is because I like having lots of food options. Other than that I do not really care.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,470,231 times
People who want to move to Beverly Hills or Malibu or other high status areas don't care if Lucy Liu, Sofía Vergara, or Denzel Washington lives next door.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:17 PM

935 posts, read 1,717,948 times
I somewhat care for diversity. I grew up in Sacramento, lived in San Francisco for several years and continue to live in the Bay Area. As a Mexican American, I don't know if I could live in Portland no matter how good the quality of life is up there or Vermont or the Deep South. But i can certainly make it work.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:24 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,230,180 times
I care about diversity, but I dont think its bad if you dont. Its all a personal preference.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:27 PM

1,689 posts, read 2,229,205 times
diversity is relative, and its everywhere... even in your home there is diversity of personalities and different people

Old 11-21-2014, 01:36 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,529,613 times
I don't really care about diversity but I was annoyed that there wasn't a lot of Chinese food in Portland.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:10 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,538,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBrock View Post
I mean this in all seriousness, I'm not trying to start a culture war. When I read a lot of the threads on this forum about people asking where they should live, or if they would like a certain area, countless people cite "diversity" as a factor they care about.

When I think about a potential place to live, there are a myriad of factors that matter to me: crime rates, quality of the school system, quality of outdoor recreation, weather, local amenities, proximity to commercial areas, professional sports and other entertainment options, reasonableness of local taxes and overall cost of living, the list goes on and on.

But I could probably name 100 things I value more in a potential spot than "diversity." I have literally zero interest in the ethnic composition of my neighbors. They could be comprised of any combination of groups, in any proportions, so long as the other factors that I do value are there.

Is this closed minded of me in some way? I don't think so, but I'm open to what other people have to say on the matter.

Are people who cite "diversity" as a key criterion doing so more to make a statement about themselves on the forum?

I wonder if my attitude is largely a product of my own upbringing. I grew up in suburban Denver. In a large high school (over 2,000 enrollment) I recall perhaps a half dozen african american kids, and larger handfuls of hispanics and asians. Despite this lack of ethnic diversity, there didn't seem to be any ethnic tension or prejudice. I just remember it as a total non-factor.

It wasn't until I spent a year living in urban Sacramento, an area much more diverse if you simply look at the data, that I felt I encountered real racism. It was the first time I had heard the n-word used in public, for example.

Anyhow, I'm just curious if I'm the only one who has this outlook on diversity as a factor in selecting a place to live, or if others are of similar mindset.

Cheers.
I totally agree and relate to everything you just said.

I only mention diversity in posts because it seems so many people do care for it. Me? Nope, not at all.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:18 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,491,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBrock View Post

Cheers.
IMO - not in and of itself. I put a value on it because living in decidedly non-diverse places creeps me out.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:28 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,122,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas View Post
The only real reason I like it is because I like having lots of food options. Other than that I do not really care.
Agreed. Where I live in SoCal, there is quite a bit of diversity just as a matter of course. For example, my daughter is the only blond Caucasian in her group of close friends (the other five are Peruvian, Mexican, Chinese and Korean), but nobody cares. When I visited smalltown Maine and everyone was white, that didn't bother me either. But I sorely missed all the international food options. The so-called "Mexican" food was awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.