U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,349,140 times

Advertisements

To the attention of "008":
Based on your statements: "areas rarely visited by tourists and or Britons"...........................

I would fly into Spokane, WA.; rent a car and put the following cities (towns) on my itinerary:

Couer d'alene, ID;.....Big Sky, MT;..... Fort Benton, MT;.....Sheridan, WY;.....Pinedale, WY and Bozeman, MT.

....Yes Bozeman gets a lot of tourists, however IMHO it would be worth a visit.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 11-22-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 10:59 PM

814 posts, read 1,074,213 times
The American Midwest is usually thought to be the least traveled to region by tourists in America, and is usually considered to be the most typically Americana, hence why Chicago (the region's largest city) is often called the "Great American City." Inside the Midwest though the Great Lakes in the US seem like a really underrated area of travel in the US. I don't think foreigners (or really even a lot of Americans) realize how massive they are, holding over 20% of the Earth fresh water supply.

My friend and I have been talking about taking a trip around the Great Lakes. We wanted to drive around Lake Michigan and stop and visit parts of Lake Superior as well. She wants to see Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit, but also the mountains in the Upper Peninsula, the Apostle Islands, the Sleeping Bear Dunes (rated one of the most beautiful beaches in the country), and Torche Lake. If we have time to work our way east, there is Toronto, Niagara Falls, and some beautiful spots in New York state to visit.

Also spots on the Mississippi River have great history and natural beauty. And the Mississippi stems off from the Great Lakes so you could hop over and see it if you wanted.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:01 AM

998 posts, read 886,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I immediately thought of this idea:

Fly into Washington, DC and check out the very good museums and sights there for a couple of days. Then drive down to Mt Vernon, in northern Virginia. It's the home of George Washington and it's very interesting to see an example of a working farm from that era. You would spend one day there.

From there you could drive on to Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown, Virginia's Historic Triangle. Plan to spend about a day in each place, and then go on to Virginia Beach and it's awesome boardwalk for a bit of fun in the sun for a couple of days.

Then you could drive across Virginia to the Smoky Mountains and the Shenandoah Valley. That area is really spectacularly beautiful. You could venture south into North Carolina and Cade's Cove, Cherokee, and that area for some more history in an absolutely breath taking environment. You can also do some ziplining in the Smoky Mountains - that's a lot of fun! Maybe even some whitewater rafting!

You could go in any number of directions from there. West into Tennessee, into Nashville and Memphis for some southern hospitality, country and blue grass music, and some boot scootin'! Or you could drive south east and check out Charleston and Savannah - oh, and North Carolina's beautiful Outer Banks on the way there.

Just some ideas. Others will have more ideas, I'm sure!

The OP states that a "rarely Visited" state is preferable. Virginia has quite a bit of tourist activity but I agree 1000% on the above itinerary for visiting this beautiful state. You should really make it a must see!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 8,490 times
Come to L.A. you Brits love California I've heard!

Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 AM

2,648 posts, read 805,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post
I am from the United Kingdom and intend on visiting the United States next year. I have never visited before but I am extremely interested in your culture and have wanted to visit ever since I was about eight (I am currently 28!). My wife has been to New York before and as much as she enjoyed it would like to go somewhere different. I would like to go to New York one day but not this time. I want to go to a city, state or region that is rarely visited by tourists. I want to go somewhere "out of the ordinary." Presumably states like California and Florida are the most touristic but I want to know the states that are rarely visited. I was hoping you would be able to provide some potential tourist destinations for my wife and I.
Try Las Vegas,Seattle,Austin or st Augusta in maine

Old 11-23-2014, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,043 times
Nashville or New Orleans are great destinations that see hardly any foreign footprint.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:50 PM

17,341 posts, read 19,609,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post
I am very interested in history and my wife is just interested in general sightseeing. We also like nature but a full-on adventure holiday is not what we're looking for. We want a chilled out break exploring an area that isn't visited by many other Britons.
Is there any area of America that you find particularly interesting based on what you know?

I suggest spending your break there. Gut instinct works the best in this case.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:41 PM

But be sure to be also careful when visiting america public place shootings and police brutality are pretty common here and another thing nationalism well always be there so just ignore those patriotic americans but from what I hear Maine shouldn't be a problem when visiting america.so yeah
America is best know for
Walmart,cartoon network,ed edd n eddy,autozone,spongebob squarepants,tony hawk,xbox\microsoft,ford,WWE,NBA,NFL,advance auto parts,oreil'y auto parts,mcdonalds and other things just so you know

Old 11-23-2014, 07:49 PM

4,476 posts, read 7,307,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
But be sure to be also careful when visiting america public place shootings and police brutality are pretty common here and another thing nationalism well always be there so just ignore those patriotic americans but from what I hear Maine shouldn't be a problem when visiting america.so yeah
America is best know for
Walmart,cartoon network,ed edd n eddy,autozone,spongebob squarepants,tony hawk,xbox\microsoft,ford,WWE,NBA,NFL,advance auto parts,oreil'y auto parts,mcdonalds and other things just so you know
Really? Don't be overly paranoid like the media wants you to be. This country is WAY too big for that. When it comes to the subjects above, just use your common sense and don't worry! Enjoy yourselves! We're known for far more than those things mentioned at the end, too. Really? Sports, auto shops, fast food and cartoons? Smh.

We as Americans generally do NOT shove our patriotism in your face, unless you just happen to come across a drunk guy on the 4th of July.

To the subject, if you are looking for a very non touristy place, the American mid west is the place to be. Great Lakes region in either Michigan (Traverse City is a quaint little town near the Sleeping Bear Dunes) or drive along the Great River Road in the Driftless area of Wisconsin (along the border of Iowa and Minnesota). Perhaps, as someone mentioned earlier, a trip to the Twin Cities. Lots of nature in the city like Minnehaha Falls, for example. Mall of America if you like that sort of thing. Then there's Duluth on Lake Superior. Such a beautiful town with gorgeous views of the lake from the hill.

Ah, there are sooo many places you could go! America is such a HUGE country.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Really? Don't be overly paranoid like the media wants you to be. This country is WAY too big for that. When it comes to the subjects above, just use your common sense and don't worry! Enjoy yourselves! We're known for far more than those things mentioned at the end, too. Really? Sports, auto shops, fast food and cartoons? Smh.

We as Americans generally do NOT shove our patriotism in your face, unless you just happen to come across a drunk guy on the 4th of July.

Ah, there are sooo many places you could go! America is such a HUGE country.
Ok you got a point but here are some facts just so you know not trying to be mean just saying
Highest jail population
Highest gun ownership
The obesity thing is not a problem so I'm not ganna mention it
Most school shootings in the world
Highest consumption of petrol in the world
Highest poverty rate of any developed country in the world
Most mcdonalds per capita not really but a lot
So yeah
On the other
Brazil and mexico seem more dangerous than america from the looks of it (I'm half Argentina half mexican by the way)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or