U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:27 PM

13,265 posts, read 17,794,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Mississippi and Alabama. The butt of jokes, EXTREMELY conservative/Bible Belt-ish, terrible history regarding race relations, unprogressive, etc. During the Cold War and Civil Rights Movement, the Birmingham demonstrations took place in 1963 down in Alabama. This was the notorious city home to Bull Connor, the police commissioner who unleashed dogs and fire hoses on peaceful demonstrators, many of them young children. This event SHOCKED the nation and world as a whole. The Russians called us out, "how can you worry about us when you have your own problems to deal with?" Not that George Wallace cared. If that didn't make matters worse, the Klan bombed a church killing four little black girls a few months later. Again, no disrespect to Birmingham and Alabama, but those events were some of the darkest in American history. Mississippi was even worse. "A closed society." Practically a "Klan state." The state with the darkest history in America. Emmett Till, the civil rights workers' murders in 1964, Ole Miss exploding and rioting due to the admission of one black man, more lynchings than any other state, etc. Mississippi is also the poorest state in the nation as we speak, also the fattest but don't quote me on that. Anyway, you get the picture. Mississippi and Alabama, no disrespect, but......
You have not been there since the 70s, have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,271,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You have not been there since the 70s, have you?
People still know their history. I went to both states a few months back. Outside of Birmingham, I saw a billboard saying, "Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white." I say no more.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 PM

13,265 posts, read 17,794,424 times
Quote:
People still know their history. I went to both states a few months back. Outside of Birmingham, I saw a billboard saying, "Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white." I say no more.
Realistically and this is as OT as it can get - in some counties in AL that applies.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 PM

6,435 posts, read 9,959,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Okay fine, Texas then.
Tell that to the Mexican, Asian, and Indian immigrants that move there in droves.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:19 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
I would actually say VERMONT. Vermont just likes to be different and act on its own. I mean, Vermont will have single payer healthcare in 2017 and a state operated bank. And Burlington was the first city in the country to go 100% renewable energy. I love Vermont.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,271,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Realistically and this is as OT as it can get - in some counties in AL that applies.
I mean, I'm not looking down on Alabama or Mississippi, but some of those stereotypes are still true. The billboard is a perfect example. Those two states, especially Mississippi, are about as "Deep South" as you can get. Look at the Mississippi state flag! The Confederate emblem, still! Georgia used to have that, but now it's only Mississippi. The Ole Miss REBELS, named in honor of the Confederate regiment of Ole Miss students that was completely wiped out at Gettysburg.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Tell that to the Mexican, Asian, and Indian immigrants that move there in droves.
Jobs, no taxes and warm/mild weather is the reason.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:48 PM

15,031 posts, read 31,409,514 times
Quote:
I mean, I'm not looking down on Alabama or Mississippi, but some of those stereotypes are still true. The billboard is a perfect example. Those two states, especially Mississippi, are about as "Deep South" as you can get. Look at the Mississippi state flag! The Confederate emblem, still! Georgia used to have that, but now it's only Mississippi. The Ole Miss REBELS, named in honor of the Confederate regiment of Ole Miss students that was completely wiped out at Gettysburg.
I was in TN a few weeks ago (near the NC border) and a pickup pulled up next to me with probably a hundred or so stickers and writings on it. On the rear tail gate in huge letters it said "gay is the way to hell" and on the bumper it said "God made Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve". It made me feel a bit uneasy because I have NEVER seen anything like that here in my area of Alabama. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never seen it.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 PM

44,884 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Texas is the one that keeps threatening to secede.
Did you know that all fifty states have presented petitions for secession to Washington, DC?

Even New Jersey was able to collect over 14,000 signatures.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:52 PM

44,884 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Jobs, no taxes and warm/mild weather is the reason.
We have no taxes in Texas? WOW, where has my money REALLY been going?????

But to address your other points, well of course people are eager to move where there are jobs, the weather is good, and the cost of living is generally low. Oh - and where the people are friendly too -don't leave that part out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or