U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 05:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,281,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I was in TN a few weeks ago (near the NC border) and a pickup pulled up next to me with probably a hundred or so stickers and writings on it. On the rear tail gate in huge letters it said "gay is the way to hell" and on the bumper it said "God made Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve". It made me feel a bit uneasy because I have NEVER seen anything like that here in my area of Alabama. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never seen it.
Oh, I see it too around North Carolina for sure. Not so much around the Research Triangle area, but definitely out in the country/rural areas. Even around Raleigh, I'll occasionally see a few Confederate flag license plates. I've seen "KKK" writings in fast food/gas station bathrooms way out in remote areas of eastern NC. I don't think I've driven in the mountains of western NC without seeing Confederate flags. The worst had to be this little bar outside Greensboro in a remote section of Guilford County. A few years back, I pulled into the bar parking lot to turn around and saw a sign on the front door. "No coloreds allowed." I'm completely serious. It's unfortunate, but these are sights you'll occasionally run into if you live in the South, doesn't really matter which state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 06:08 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,159,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We have no taxes in Texas? WOW, where has my money REALLY been going?????

But to address your other points, well of course people are eager to move where there are jobs, the weather is good, and the cost of living is generally low. Oh - and where the people are friendly too -don't leave that part out.
Oh my god, she's back! I haven't seen a post by you in AGES! Welcome back!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

45,164 posts, read 36,370,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh my god, she's back! I haven't seen a post by you in AGES! Welcome back!
Haha! Yeah, I never post on here so I just decided to drop in and let everyone on C-D know I'm alive...and still living in one of the states that apparently lots of people still hate.

Haters gonna hate!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,760,271 times
Quote:
Haha! Yeah, I never post on here so I just decided to drop in and let everyone on C-D know I'm alive...and still living in one of the states that apparently lots of people still hate.
I think the hate is much heavier on C-D than it is in the real world. Popular bias and bandwagon haters dominate these forums.

As a native Texan who has spent the last 30 years living all over the nation, the actual amount of hate that I have run across is far less than what you see on this site.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I think the hate is much heavier on C-D than it is in the real world. Popular bias and bandwagon haters dominate these forums.

As a native Texan who has spent the last 30 years living all over the nation, the actual amount of hate that I have run across is far less than what you see on this site.
Oh, I totally agree. I was just kidding. These forums are far, far away from real life.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 AM

10,435 posts, read 12,454,389 times
Quote:
We have no taxes in Texas? WOW, where has my money REALLY been going?????
Well, no income tax.
You know foreigners don't come to live in Texas for the progressive people and beautiful beaches

Old 11-25-2014, 02:24 AM

626 posts, read 577,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would actually say VERMONT. Vermont just likes to be different and act on its own. I mean, Vermont will have single payer healthcare in 2017 and a state operated bank. And Burlington was the first city in the country to go 100% renewable energy. I love Vermont.
Vermont? Isn't that state about the opposite of most negative American stereotypes?

Old 11-25-2014, 02:28 AM

626 posts, read 577,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Well, no income tax.
You know foreigners don't come to live in Texas for the progressive people and beautiful beaches
They move to NYC, California, NJ, and Florida in greater numbers anyway. Texas is still decent though.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:30 AM

467 posts, read 396,036 times
Watching from across the pond I would say New York together with Washington DC as a state in itself.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Well, no income tax.
They come for the job opportunities but like me, they often end up staying because they realize one day, "Wow, I really like Texas!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or