U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2014, 08:28 PM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,993,214 times
Reputation: 2276

Advertisements

World Class resorts in the Sacramento Area would be:

Clearly World Class

- Heavenly: 60-101 miles from Sacramento depending on where you are in the metro.

- Squaw Valley: 70-110 miles

- Northstar at Tahoe: 67-97 miles

- Kirkwood Ski Resort: 71-101 miles

All very nice resorts, some one say world class:

Sierra
Alpine
Homewood
Sugar Bowl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2014, 01:36 PM
 
90 posts, read 192,270 times
Reputation: 160
I'd consider driving hours rather than driving distance. For example when I lived in SF a weekend trip to Tahoe involved at least a four hour drive under the best conditions given the traffic, sometimes much more. Traffic to northwest areas is much lighter, even the ones closest to Seattle and Portland, resulting in a quicker trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 02:32 PM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,993,214 times
Reputation: 2276
From the eastern cities of the Sacramento Metro it's only around 54-74 miles to World Class resorts, as short as 45 minutes, almost never more than 2hours.

On Interstate 80 from Sacramento it is a straight shot on the edge of North Lake Tahoe; can't really say the same for Portland and Seattle where it involves smaller highways. And there is another direct route with a 4-lane highway (US 50) which goes to the south side of Lake Tahoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,462 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
From the eastern cities of the Sacramento Metro it's only around 54-74 miles to World Class resorts, as short as 45 minutes, almost never more than 2hours.

On Interstate 80 from Sacramento it is a straight shot on the edge of North Lake Tahoe; can't really say the same for Portland and Seattle where it involves smaller highways. And there is another direct route with a 4-lane highway (US 50) which goes to the south side of Lake Tahoe.
I-80 is 15-miles from the edge of North Lake Tahoe and most of the resorts, especially the better ones, are at least 10-15 miles off I-80 along smaller highways as well. Also US-50 is just two lanes in a lot of areas and can be fairly slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 10:14 AM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,423 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Reputation: 11902
How are the snow conditions in the Sierras lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 11:38 AM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,993,214 times
Reputation: 2276
Measuring every year for One-hundred and thirty years shows the average annual snowfall to be 300-500 inches in The Central Sierra Nevada Mtns. near Sacramento and the ski resorts around Lake Tahoe. Only time will tell what this year will be like.

Would be great to here more about the resorts in Washington and Oregon....

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-01-2014 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 12:01 PM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,993,214 times
Reputation: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I-80 is 15-miles from the edge of North Lake Tahoe and most of the resorts, especially the better ones, are at least 10-15 miles off I-80 along smaller highways as well. Also US-50 is just two lanes in a lot of areas and can be fairly slow.
From the Eastern Sacramento Metro it's only 1hour, 24 minutes to Sierra at Tahoe Ski Resort using US-50 Add only 16 more minutes from Downtown Sacramento.

From the Eastern Sacramento Metro it's only 1hour, 27 minutes to Northstar Ski Resort using I-80. Add only 16 more minutes from Downtown Sacramento.

I-80 is all 4 lane interstate.

US 50 is 4 lane highway about 3/4 of the way to Tahoe from Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 12:32 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,462 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
From the Eastern Sacramento Metro it's only 1hour, 24 minutes to Sierra at Tahoe Ski Resort using US-50 Add only 16 more minutes from Downtown Sacramento.

From the Eastern Sacramento Metro it's only 1hour, 27 minutes to Northstar Ski Resort using I-80. Add only 16 more minutes from Downtown Sacramento.

I-80 is all 4 lane interstate.

US 50 is 4 lane highway about 3/4 of the way to Tahoe from Sacramento
Okay, I was just pointing out how most Tahoe resorts, especially the better ones, aren't right off the main interstate like you seem to be suggesting and often involve smaller, two lane highways that can at times be fairly congested.

I'm aware I-80 is a 4-lane interstate as all interstates are required to be at least 4-lanes. Well I would say US-50 is 4 lanes closer to half the distance but either way it can get very congested once you get closer to South Lake and you have to drive through the mini-sprawl that is Southlake to reach Heavenly.

The Summit at Snoqualmie is less than 60 minutes from Downtown Seattle and it's literally right off I-90. Mt Hood is about 1h20m from Downtown Portland and the highway there really isn't that different than US 50. The difference is Sacramento has more resorts to choose from within 2 hours of it as they are mostly clustered around Lake Tahoe. WA and OR's seem to be spread along the Cascades more so. That can be good and bad, one one hand it's nice to have all the resorts in one general area but it means everyone will be traveling the same way (80 and 50) to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 01:18 PM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,993,214 times
Reputation: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Okay, I was just pointing out how most Tahoe resorts, especially the better ones, aren't right off the main interstate like you seem to be suggesting and often involve smaller, two lane highways that can at times be fairly congested.

I'm aware I-80 is a 4-lane interstate as all interstates are required to be at least 4-lanes. Well I would say US-50 is 4 lanes closer to half the distance but either way it can get very congested once you get closer to South Lake and you have to drive through the mini-sprawl that is Southlake to reach Heavenly.

The Summit at Snoqualmie is less than 60 minutes from Downtown Seattle and it's literally right off I-90. Mt Hood is about 1h20m from Downtown Portland and the highway there really isn't that different than US 50. The difference is Sacramento has more resorts to choose from within 2 hours of it as they are mostly clustered around Lake Tahoe. WA and OR's seem to be spread along the Cascades more so. That can be good and bad, one one hand it's nice to have all the resorts in one general area but it means everyone will be traveling the same way (80 and 50) to get there.
The resorts you listed are the closest to Seattle and Portland and not exactly world class, the other resorts are much further, but it's good to have smaller resorts too. Curious, if you ski/snowboard regularly in the last few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 02:02 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,423 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Reputation: 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The resorts you listed are the closest to Seattle and Portland and not exactly world class, the other resorts are much further, but it's good to have smaller resorts too. Curious, if you ski/snowboard regularly in the last few years?
In a nutshell the closest world class resorts in that area are up in British Columbia. Oregon and Washington have nice mountains, but they don't have a lot of resort development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top