U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Northern State Has The Most Southern Culture?
Kansas 1 0.92%
Missouri 51 46.79%
Illinois 12 11.01%
Indiana 16 14.68%
Ohio 11 10.09%
Pennsylvania 2 1.83%
Maryland 14 12.84%
Delaware 2 1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:41 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Cabela's (and for that matter, Bass Pro Shop) really has little to do with the South. There's a Cabela's only an hour's drive from where I live in Eastern WA, just over the state line in Post Falls, Idaho. It's always packed and busy too. I know there are two other Cabela's over in Western WA as well, close to Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 04:55 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,418,374 times
Yes, you guys are right about my Cabela's comment, Cabela's has really nothing to do with the South. I am very aware that it was founded in Nebraska because I worked at our local store briefly while I was waiting for my nursing license to transfer to Michigan and new employees always get the whole "history of the company, aren't we wonderful?" routine.

My point, that was obviously not made based on my poor example, was that Michigan is largely rural and chock full of hunters and fishermen and all types of outdoorsmen in general, another quaiity that is also not directly connected with the South. My bad.

As far as the rest of what I said, it is all very factual. People flocked to this state from the South in the early and mid-20th century to escape sharecropping and coal mining for relatively higher paying work in the factories. Henry Ford was paying $5/day when few companies paid that in a week, and he was one of the few corporate giants who didn't care if his employees were black or white, so people of both races came and stayed, and their culture and traditions live on here to this day, much more so than many people realize.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:13 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The Ozark Mountain region is very Southern like even most like the Deep South. It also the biggest meth producing region of the country. Just saying... sad but the scenery out that way is gorgeous.
The Ozarks don't have much in common with the deep south. Much of the Ozarks is part of the upper south though. In the northeastern Ozarks, you get a French/German midwestern Ozarks culture which isn't found anywhere else to my knowledge.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:23 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Problem is that there is no distinct southern culture, just look at all the fails in this thread lol.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:36 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Problem is that there is no distinct southern culture, just look at all the fails in this thread lol.
Truth. People in these forums always seem to use the pure deep South (MS, AL, GA, SC) as a gauge for all things Southern, when in reality there are so many variations on Southern culture (Appalachia, Ozark, Cajun-Creole, Tex-Mex, Antebellum, Gullah, Chesapeake-Colonial, and whatever you call Florida's bizarre twist on Southern culture). Not every part of the South is plantations, Oaks dripping with Spanish Moss, and Cotton fields.

Why people always have to refer and redirect to the Deep South when discussing any topic with the words "South" or "Southern" in it, really baffles me. It's the nation's largest region. There are going to be cultural shifts from one area to the next. Why is this so hard for people to wrap their heads around?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:38 PM

620 posts, read 686,962 times
West Virginia should be one of the options in the poll since the state has portions that would normally be part of the north while having the southern culture in the southern parts of the state, making West Virginia both a northeastern state and a southeastern state. However, I think Missouri has the most southern culture because Missouri reaches as far south as Kentucky or Virginia, both usually called southern states, but I have heard of Kentucky being placed in the Midwest, while Virginia being placed in the Northeast a few times. Even there is a southern panhandle that goes south into Arkansas.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 PM

462 posts, read 582,359 times
Missouri. The southern part of the state is pretty much an extension of the south.

Branson
Rush Limbaugh
University of Missouri is now in the SEC.
The state was member of the CSA
Mark Twain

Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 PM

199 posts, read 202,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Missouri. The southern part of the state is pretty much an extension of the south.

Branson
Rush Limbaugh
University of Missouri is now in the SEC.
The state was member of the CSA
Mark Twain
It was a border state. In reality, actually more soldiers fought more for the Union, although it was split. But it does seem a LOT like the South. I've visited Missouri a few times.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 PM

2,984 posts, read 2,137,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Saying Michigan has Southern influence is like saying Mississippi has Northern influence.
Actually, Michigan is on the Northern end of what is known as "The Hillbilly Highway" that ran from Tennesse to Michigan. Peopls leaving TN and KY for work in the factories in the Midwest. They took their culture with them. Indiana, illinois, Ohio and Michigan are loaded with Tennesseans and Kentuckians natives and threir kids and grandkids, especially Indiana. Many of those descendants moved back south and west when the factory jobs dried up. That Hillbilly Highway took a bunch down to Texas.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,264,914 times
I went to Joplin, Missouri once. It seemed pretty southern to me. Not the southern I'm used to, being from NC, but the other side of the South. The southern half of Missouri isn't too dissimilar from Arkansas. Have y'all read Huck Finn? I'm pretty sure Twain emphasizes Missouri as a southern state, or what we think of the South to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or