U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Northern State Has The Most Southern Culture?
Kansas 1 0.92%
Missouri 51 46.79%
Illinois 12 11.01%
Indiana 16 14.68%
Ohio 11 10.09%
Pennsylvania 2 1.83%
Maryland 14 12.84%
Delaware 2 1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 AM

194 posts, read 176,028 times

Advertisements

While I think Missouri has the most Southern influence , I disagree that it is a lot like the South and that the southern half of the state isn't too dissimilar to Arkansas. The northern half of the southern half of Missouri is a transition zone between the Midwest and South, while the Southern half of the southern half is actually the South. St. Louis and Kansas City and Columbia and Jefferson City are Midwestern as is the Northern half of the state. Southern accents don't extend farther north than Rolla. Apart from religion, in which Missouri is close to a split between Southern Baptist and Catholic, Missouri doesn't act Southern. Finally the university of Missouri being in the SEC means nothing. It had been trying to become part of the Big Ten for years. And the state was never officially a member of the CSA. The secession wasn't legitimate and in any case far more Missourians fought for the Union. I would describe Missouri today as a Midwestern state with Southern influences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 09:19 AM

620 posts, read 686,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
While I think Missouri has the most Southern influence , I disagree that it is a lot like the South and that the southern half of the state isn't too dissimilar to Arkansas. The northern half of the southern half of Missouri is a transition zone between the Midwest and South, while the Southern half of the southern half is actually the South. St. Louis and Kansas City and Columbia and Jefferson City are Midwestern as is the Northern half of the state. Southern accents don't extend farther north than Rolla. Apart from religion, in which Missouri is close to a split between Southern Baptist and Catholic, Missouri doesn't act Southern. Finally the university of Missouri being in the SEC means nothing. It had been trying to become part of the Big Ten for years. And the state was never officially a member of the CSA. The secession wasn't legitimate and in any case far more Missourians fought for the Union. I would describe Missouri today as a Midwestern state with Southern influences.
How does Missouri doesn't act southern? It has parts that are more southern geographically than Kentucky, usually called a southern state, but sometimes has been called a midwestern state.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
How does Missouri doesn't act southern? It has parts that are more southern geographically than Kentucky, usually called a southern state, but sometimes has been called a midwestern state.
Muppet you know next to nothing about regions. The only part of Missouri further south than Kentucky is the bootheel. Missouri extends at least. 120 miles further north than Kentucky.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Truth. People in these forums always seem to use the pure deep South (MS, AL, GA, SC) as a gauge for all things Southern, when in reality there are so many variations on Southern culture (Appalachia, Ozark, Cajun-Creole, Tex-Mex, Antebellum, Gullah, Chesapeake-Colonial, and whatever you call Florida's bizarre twist on Southern culture). Not every part of the South is plantations, Oaks dripping with Spanish Moss, and Cotton fields.

Why people always have to refer and redirect to the Deep South when discussing any topic with the words "South" or "Southern" in it, really baffles me. It's the nation's largest region. There are going to be cultural shifts from one area to the next. Why is this so hard for people to wrap their heads around?
You agree with me but i meant it in a different way.

In my opinion there isnt really that much cultural differences at all in this country, as you see in this thread posters have to resort to historical events or some redneck stereotypes (that are just as common in the north as it is in the south).

I don't see many cultural differences, we are ALL living in American culture. in my opinion.

So it doesn't really makes sense having a conversation about which northern state has the most southern culture when they all have the same culture in the first place.

Anyways,

Happy Thanksgiving!
^
see we are all celebrating the same holiday today

Old 11-27-2014, 11:01 AM

978 posts, read 619,837 times
Missouri.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:22 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You agree with me but i meant it in a different way.

In my opinion there isnt really that much cultural differences at all in this country, as you see in this thread posters have to resort to historical events or some redneck stereotypes (that are just as common in the north as it is in the south).

I don't see many cultural differences, we are ALL living in American culture. in my opinion.

So it doesn't really makes sense having a conversation about which northern state has the most southern culture when they all have the same culture in the first place.

Anyways,

Happy Thanksgiving!
^
see we are all celebrating the same holiday today
Well, I guess we kind of do agree in a way then... since I'm in full agreement with you about the issue of stereotypes existing on both sides (and everywhere else in the nation). I wasn't addressing stereotypes or anything negative though. I was referring to the obvious cultural differences, like food, accents, and ethnic backgrounds... that shift from one area of the South to another. If anything, I was railing against stereotypes. I've never been much of a fan of stereotypes... of any kind.

At any rate, happy Thanksgiving to you as well! Time to get off this infernal site and stuff my face.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times
Most of Missouri, Southern Indiana, and Southern Illinois were all settled by Southerners from Kentucky, Virgina, etc. The dominant religion is Protestant of Baptist or Christian church version, not Catholic. Southern IL and IN also got a lot of new residents from the South post WW2 for the abundant factory jobs, further boosting Southern influence

Ohio and Michigan got a lot of migrants from the South and has enclaves that retain elements of Southern influence. But the overall population is overwhelmingly Northern.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:34 PM

342 posts, read 394,912 times
Wow thanks for your responses everyone. Missouri is clearly considered the most southern of these states, with Indiana ina distant second and Ohio, Maryland, and Illinois trailing far behind. Ironically Delaware is considered by the census bureau a southern state, but it has among the least votes of all states, while Missori which is considered by them a midwestern state is overwhelmingly viewed as the most southern in culture.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:46 PM

39 posts, read 41,012 times
I have been reading this and want to say that Indiana is being underrated. It is really southern like Kentucky in many parts. On the grand scale Missouri is more southern but compared to Illinois and Ohio it is fairly southern. Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland dont even belong on the list.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycarver View Post
I have been reading this and want to say that Indiana is being underrated. It is really southern like Kentucky in many parts. On the grand scale Missouri is more southern but compared to Illinois and Ohio it is fairly southern. Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland dont even belong on the list.
Missouri is not more Southern on a grand scale it is more Midwestern. The only parts of Indiana which are Southern like Kentucky are the Southern quarter of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or