U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:11 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,793,065 times

Advertisements

Well, that's how I ended up here. I mean, look at my user name!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 AM

13,333 posts, read 17,833,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I mean, it's just so hard to get an idea of what places would be great for me to live in. For example, one person will say that a particular place is a great place to live, but another person will chime in and say that they hated living there or whatever. One person will say that moving down south is the best decision they ever made, while another person will say that they tried it, hated it, and moved back north. Or maybe one person says that they love living in a large metropolitan area, while another person says that they prefer living in a smaller area.:
Everyone has different needs, wants, have-tos.

Quote:
I mean, how the heck are people supposed to make decisions like this, when they get mixed signals?! :
Is it necessary to curse? It is called take information provided and make your own decision.

Quote:
It seems hard to get uniformity and agreement on this website. And it seems like EVERY place has pros and cons.
That is a new concept.

Right now is a good time to visit Buffalo and Florida. Please share your first hand experience with CD. Make sure it is conform with other posters:>)

Old 11-25-2014, 07:20 AM

56,778 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Everyone has different needs, wants, have-tos.

Is it necessary to curse? It is called take information provided and make your own decision.

That is a new concept.

Right now is a good time to visit Buffalo and Florida. Please share your first hand experience with CD. Make sure it is conform with other posters:>)
I'd say to go in June as well.

I will say nep321, you do wonder since this is an anonymous forum, if the people that post on it many times are legit or if the topics are created to just get traffic on the site. so, in some sense, I can see how it can be confusing, unless you see definitive information about that area or to compare areas.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:49 AM

17,333 posts, read 19,603,768 times
Quote:
One of my friends in real life happens to live in Buffalo and told me to not listen to what people say on City-Data forums. He said it's actually a very well cultured, exciting city with plenty of young professionals and other types of people (hipsters, blue collar, whatever). I hope it works out!
I think Buffalo is okay. I mean, it's a low COL area, right next to Niagara Falls, Canada and close to Rochester and Toronto. I like the vibe there.

However, the Buffalo area itself is kind of small for my liking. It doesn't feel like there's all that much going on there. It could be a perfect fit for you though.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:10 AM

56,778 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Perhaps this could help too: Artvoice: Buffalo's #1 Newsweekly

Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,142,253 times
Am I the only person that detects sarcasm in the OP?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,739,905 times
Quote:
I mean, it's just so hard to get an idea of what places would be great for me to live in. For example, one person will say that a particular place is a great place to live, but another person will chime in and say that they hated living there or whatever. One person will say that moving down south is the best decision they ever made, while another person will say that they tried it, hated it, and moved back north. Or maybe one person says that they love living in a large metropolitan area, while another person says that they prefer living in a smaller area.

I mean, how the heck are people supposed to make decisions like this, when they get mixed signals?!

It seems hard to get uniformity and agreement on this website. And it seems like EVERY place has pros and cons.
To be fair, most people don't go to an online forum asking complete strangers where it would be good for them to live.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,152,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think Buffalo is okay. I mean, it's a low COL area, right next to Niagara Falls, Canada and close to Rochester and Toronto. I like the vibe there.

However, the Buffalo area itself is kind of small for my liking. It doesn't feel like there's all that much going on there. It could be a perfect fit for you though.
What are you talking about? I've been there twice. Once in the summer, once in the winter and enjoyed it both times. The metro area is a perfect size for me. Not too big. Not too small.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 AM

10,569 posts, read 13,146,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
To be fair, most people don't go to an online forum asking complete strangers where it would be good for them to live.
Exactly, it's one of the stranger things about city data.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,336,188 times
Quote:
I mean, it's just so hard to get an idea of what places would be great for me to live in. For example, one person will say that a particular place is a great place to live, but another person will chime in and say that they hated living there or whatever. One person will say that moving down south is the best decision they ever made, while another person will say that they tried it, hated it, and moved back north. Or maybe one person says that they love living in a large metropolitan area, while another person says that they prefer living in a smaller area.

I mean, how the heck are people supposed to make decisions like this, when they get mixed signals?!

There are no mixed signals at all, some people like living where they are and others don't.
It is YOUR opinion that matters and no one else's.
It is the same with school districts or particular schools when someone asks about them.
The problem is one child may do very well in a particular school and another child in the same grade and classroom with not do well at all.

People are supposed to make decisions based on their own personal likes and dislikes not what a bunch of random strangers on a public forum think.
If you cannot make a choice by yourself on where to live you need to stay where you are.
It is your responsibility to do the research, visit the locations you are thinking about more than once, stay a week, talk to the locals, see how it feels to you.
No one else can make this decision and no one else is responsible for you location, way of living, education choice, career choice, partner choice, shoe choice, or happiness, only you are responsible for these things.

Also, common sense should tell you that everything has pros and cons and those differ from person to person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or