Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:18 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times

Advertisements

When deciding where to live, considering all the criteria, where does weather rank in importance?

Which of the following factors would you say are more important than weather, and which are less important?

Job opportunities
Cost of living
Amenities
Quality of life
Closeness to family
Population size
Political leaning
Ease of travel
Nature
Dining
Entertainment
Night life
Culture
Pollution
Geographic location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Weather never use to be important to me, but now im really putting that towards top of list for our move next year. Living where we do I feel trapped for many months of the year because of snow, ice and freezing temps. I would say above weather would only be cost of living and quality of life. Nature and entertainment would be up on list also. My husband and I are self employed so jobs are not really an issue for us. We are not into nightlife so that would be least important for us.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:31 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
When deciding where to live, considering all the criteria, where does weather rank in importance?

Which of the following factors would you say are more important than weather, and which are less important?

Job opportunities
Closeness to family
Quality of life
Cost of living
Culture
Amenities
Population size
Geographic location
Political leaning
Weather
Ease of travel
Nature
Dining
Entertainment
Night life
Pollution
Good idea!

Summary: I already have lived in most of the harshest U.S. climates, so weather really doesn't throw me off very easily, and things like geographic location (isolation, for instance) and even politics -- though I truly hate politics -- are more important to me than the climate. The most important things will always be jobs, income/COL, family, and one that you missed -- education. (you may also want to add crime rate)

Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 AM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
Job opportunities
Cost of living tied with Weather
Amenities
Quality of life
Closeness to family
Population size
Political leaning
Ease of travel
Nature
Dining
Entertainment
Night life
Culture
Pollution
Geographic location

Weather was solely why we moved. To me and my family, that had a huge impact on our Quality of Life.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Weather is part of QOL, it's why California is so expensive, the COL (which declines QOL) increased so much to offset the weather advantage and geography (mountains, oceans) advantage.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:25 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
To me, weather isn't a big factor of where I would want to live. In fact, I find warm weather to be overrated, I much prefer having all four seasons instead of just a bunch of heat and humidity for months and months and months on end.

But that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 AM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Near the bottom. I don't really get why some people make such a fuss about weather. Maybe if you have health issues it's important.

I'm going to go outside in that bright sunshine and finish that snowman I was working on with sunglasses.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:53 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
It's certainly not terribly important as long as it isn't too extreme.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Honestly if I ever do move somewhere, the weather will probably be a significant factor for me. I have already told myself that I will never move somewhere with a longer/colder Winter than Philly. I dream of having a large property with tons of fruit trees and vegetable and herb gardens.

I'm glad that I grew up and have always lived in the crazy 4 season weather of the East Coast-I think there is some truth in that it makes you a little tougher and mentally prepared. For instance, just last week I had to change a flat tire after work in the bitter cold snow only to realize that my spare was flat too (after changing them out of course).

Luckily, people seem to be more willing to look out and hend a helping hand during the cold Winter, so my co-worker saved the day by driving me to a gas station where I filled both my tires up.

But I think next time I move somwhere, Spring will come sooner and Fall will stick around later. I deserve it haha.

I do love a change in seasons more than anyting but Winter is just a liiiittlle too long-but maybe we have stronger psyches for it.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:13 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Huge factor! That's why I moved to Florida, NO more SNOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.