U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:23 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,910,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNerd View Post
I don't HAVE to be near an ocean. It'd just be nice. But good transit is a must. And it has to be a big city for me to co sider. I hate small towns. They're for old people (no offense to any old people). Rural areas are great for old people to retire in (if they can drive a vehicle that is, otherwise you may need to go to a nursing home, because chances are you have trouble with taking care of yourself too).
What about college towns, which are far from being for old people? I ask, because they will or can fulfill most, if not all of the criteria.

I agree that many of the Great Lakes cities/areas would or could fit as well.

Also, what is your criteria for a big city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 02:23 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,150,163 times
Quote:
No way! I was HIGHLY considering there. Does it actually snow there in the winter! I'd love to have snow on Christmas! Christmas without snow just feels less like Christmas! I'm willing to deal with freezing cold winters, that's what snow coats are for.
It's an amazing city at what I consider to be a bargain price. It's main drawback is the winter weather. You want a white Christmas, but how do you feel about a white Halloween?

Old 11-25-2014, 02:39 PM

29 posts, read 37,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It's an amazing city at what I consider to be a bargain price. It's main drawback is the winter weather. You want a white Christmas, but how do you feel about a white Halloween?
I've never heard of snow on Halloween. The only way I know of snow being all year is on South Park, but not in real life. That's weird, but I'm too old for trick or treating anyway, so that's fine with me.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:48 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,150,163 times
Quote:
I've never heard of snow on Halloween. The only way I know of snow being all year is on South Park, but not in real life. That's weird, but I'm too old for trick or treating anyway, so that's fine with me.
It snowed this year on Halloween, but that's not typical. It does happen though. It's still an awesome city - definitely give it a hard look.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:52 PM

12,421 posts, read 11,926,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about college towns, which are far from being for old people? I ask, because they will or can fulfill most, if not all of the criteria.
Personally, I would hate to be in a college town if I were someone without a college degree. I know even with a degree, when I lived in New Haven, I always felt kind of weird when Yalies would figure out I was essentially a "townie" who was just there for a job.

Not to mention the job market in most college towns sucks. He'd be competing with part-time college students for blue-collar jobs. And on the more "professional" level they're even bad, because tons of graduates would like to stick around - far more than could ever find gainful employment.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:54 PM

29 posts, read 37,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It snowed this year on Halloween, but that's not typical. It does happen though. It's still an awesome city - definitely give it a hard look.
They have good and fast Internet services right?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:52 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
Quote:
Seattle is in the state of Washington. There is a border that touches the ocean. I just think it'd be cool to live in a state with an ocean by it, otherwise you'd have to travel farther just to go to a beach.
Sir or madam, I have spent the lifetime equivalent of a few years in Washington and the Seattle metropolitan area. I am aware that the state touches the ocean, and have even been to ocean beaches there (in addition to beaches on the sound and on lakes). BTW, you won't want to swim/board in any ocean beach in the state of Washington.

My hint about "not counting the Great Lakes as an ocean" was an apparently thickly veiled attempt in mentioning Chicago. I would move to Chicago in an instant if I were a single public transitophile.

Leaving in a coastal state doesn't really matter much if you're still 3 (or more) hours from the ocean. I would think Philadelphia or DC would be better than Atlanta for this, for example.

Denver has great ever-expanding transit (and fits your other criteria), but if I want to see a beach that isn't on a reservoir, I'd have to take the dreaded two hour flight to LA/SD/etc.

I personally haven't seen the ocean in at least 8 years. I feel so deprived.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Personally, I would hate to be in a college town if I were someone without a college degree. I know even with a degree, when I lived in New Haven, I always felt kind of weird when Yalies would figure out I was essentially a "townie" who was just there for a job.

Not to mention the job market in most college towns sucks. He'd be competing with part-time college students for blue-collar jobs. And on the more "professional" level they're even bad, because tons of graduates would like to stick around - far more than could ever find gainful employment.
Good points and it may depend on the size of the city/area too.

On the flip side, those communities generally fit the OP's criteria or many of them do so.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:41 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,129 times
Quote:
I don't HAVE to be near an ocean. It'd just be nice. But good transit is a must. And it has to be a big city for me to co sider. I hate small towns. They're for old people (no offense to any old people). Rural areas are great for old people to retire in (if they can drive a vehicle that is, otherwise you may need to go to a nursing home, because chances are you have trouble with taking care of yourself too).
Oh boy, do you have a lot to learn. Wait until you have to pay property taxes.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Pennsylvania does not have a seacoast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or