U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 AM

5,713 posts, read 8,783,075 times

Advertisements

And you can ride the bus to the beach from Philly.

Quote:
I just think it'd be cool to live in a state with an ocean by it, otherwise you'd have to travel farther just to go to a beach.
I worry about kids being geographically misinformed. Does no one teach map skills in school? Dude, you need to get an atlas and spend some time looking at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:23 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,215,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
And you can ride the bus to the beach from Philly.

I worry about kids being geographically misinformed. Does no one teach map skills in school? Dude, you need to get an atlas and spend some time looking at it.
or train or drive or even bike

http://www.livestrong.com/article/39...ty-new-jersey/

Old 11-26-2014, 01:35 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,405,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It snowed this year on Halloween, but that's not typical. It does happen though. It's still an awesome city - definitely give it a hard look.
Really? I live an hour or so north and it didn't snow here. We got our first "real" snowstorm in Milwaukee a couple days ago, 2-3 inches I believe. It was in the 50s and raining for a few days prior. Snow on Halloween is a big-time rarity. Definitely been a colder than usual Nov this year, though....

Old 11-26-2014, 03:15 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,171,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
One DFW does not have one of the most comprehensive rail systems in the US nor does Houston have one of the best bus systems
He didn't say either of these words. He said extensive and largest.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM

6,320 posts, read 6,992,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The one rail line in Houston has been successful, though the numbers were a bit "artificially" inflated in the early years, if you will, when Metro ferried passengers from local routes that used to run downtown to rail stops just short of downtown.
Nice insight from having lived there! I agree with most of your observations (especially the oil lobby having an interest in preserving roads) but I disagree with your notion that the ridership numbers were artificially inflated. Once you have a high-capacity rail system in place why would you duplicate it with bus lines? Of course you will use your existing network (in this case buses) to feed the core system. Despite the large number of bus and commuter rail riders who transfer to the NYC subway, nobody considers those to be artificial numbers.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 PM

87,038 posts, read 102,742,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNerd View Post
I've never heard of snow on Halloween. The only way I know of snow being all year is on South Park, but not in real life. That's weird, but I'm too old for trick or treating anyway, so that's fine with me.
There is a 50% chance of it either snowing or there being snow on the ground in Denver on Halloween.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:28 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,171,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Houston isn't even in the top 50 highest U.S. cities for transit ridership.

Anyway, virtually any U.S. city will have a bus system used by the poor and other people who do not have cars. The difference between good transit and bad transit cities is in the good ones people will willingly use the transit system for work even if they own a car. Largely because it's more of a pain in the butt to find/pay for parking in Downtown (or other key employment centers) than it is to just take the bus or train in.
And it's time to change the mentality that buses are just for poor folks. It may not be as cute or smooth as rail, but it gets you from point A to point B without having to use a personal vehicle.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:28 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,725,068 times
Unsure about public transport, but Charlotte, NC is fairly close to beaches not just in NC but also SC, GA, etc. Seems like you are hung up on not being in a smaller area, but chances of being able to make a living with no college ed and being able to afford housing, entertainment, and all the other things in a place like DC, Seattle, Chicago, etc would be quite a challenge.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:12 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,768,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNerd View Post
Great public transportation that is not too expensive for a monthly pass.
Many jobs that don't require a college degree.
Apartments under $1,300 a month.
The ocean touches one of the states borders (I don't want to be land locked!)
The cost of living is A LOT cheaper than places like New York City and San Francisco.
Forget about the ocean thing and move to Chicago like, yesterday.

If you're really really really really attached to having a literal ocean touching the state, you could try your luck in the very tight Portland rental market.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:21 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,400,678 times
Virginia Beach/Norfolk Virginia would work well for the OP perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or