Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you could?
I bet 80% Americans don't know the second largest British city.
Correct,

An American making a map like this of the UK would feature London, Austin Powers and Hogwarts... and that is probably it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:22 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Ok, let's not forget the fact that they didn't just ask the average Brit on the street about these American stereotypes. They asked people that work in the Buzzfeed UK office so they may have a better idea, at least as far as pop culture goes, what the regional stereotypes are.

They also did create a similar map of Great Britain, though it doesn't say who they asked for these stereotypes. Considering how specific things are, pretty sure they didn't ask Americans.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/...in-and-ireland

Old 11-26-2014, 01:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
looks more accurate than what our avg American rube could likely come up with of the same country

Old 11-26-2014, 01:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post

They also did create a similar map of Great Britain, though it doesn't say who they asked for these stereotypes. Considering how specific things are, pretty sure they didn't ask Americans.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/...in-and-ireland
I don't know. Those stereotypes could easily be come up with by a range of 20 or so Americans who have a clue about Britain.

Now if you ask 20 random Americans, sure, you won't get that level of detail (or accuracy), but the same can be said regarding the American stereotype map of 20 random British lager louts, chavs, everyday people. When I studied in Scotland. A girl asked me if New York gets snow, how do the palm trees survive?

When I explained that there are no palm trees in New York city, she swore up and down that they must. She had seen them in a movie.

Now that is an extreme example, and I will say that the average educated Brit know a lot more about the U.S. than Americans know about Britain, but spend some time in Britain and you will find that they hold some very peculiar, inaccurate, and sometimes, frankly bizarre views about the States.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:10 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't, but I can name all of Henry VIII's wives, how they died, and their childrens' names. I can also tell you where Doc Martin was filmed, and the actual name of the castle used as the Downton Abbey set.

Hahaha, I know those things in the first sentence, too.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:34 PM

522 posts, read 695,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
That map is pretty funny. Im not sure Americans would make such a good one of Great Britain, as most of us know little about Britain outside of London. Heck I bet half of Americans would have a hard time labeling the provinces of Canada (everyone should know them) let alone any detailed knowledge of Britain. There are Americans that don't know all 50 states. I wonder how we got this way, its embarrassing when you see our citizens on TV not knowing where some country in Europe is, or even where some US states are.
On the same accord, many Europeans don't know the states and provinces of North America. Why should an American/Canadian have to learn the name and location of countries that they will never visit anyways? I can't say that learning where Bosnia is located has helped me much in my working or financial world...

Old 11-27-2014, 01:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
On the same accord, many Europeans don't know the states and provinces of North America. Why should an American/Canadian have to learn the name and location of countries that they will never visit anyways? I can't say that learning where Bosnia is located has helped me much in my working or financial world...

States and provinces of North America are subdivisions of Canada and the USA, therefore Europeans really don't need to know them. They should know where Canada and the USA are, maybe know major cities but that is it. Bosnia is a country, we should know where that is. Subdivisons of those countries we do not need to know. For example most people are not going to know the states of Germany or English counties, and that is to be expected. In the case of the United Kingdom however you have a political union of several "countries". England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. All Americans should know where each one of them is. Since the UK founded the US and Canada we should know more about the UK than we do other nations, as their history is our history. We are not all social scientist, historians and cartographers, but some things are basic knowledge. Knowing where some major places in the UK are is basic knowledge. If you cant find London on a map shame on you, cant find Scotland shame on you. It may not seem important but it is. They are so much a part of our history and that makes it important. Much of our population comes from there and that makes it important. The UK is a very important ally and fellow NATO power and that makes it important. They were our critical partner in freeing western Europe from the NAZIs and that makes it important. Also it is important for our own image in the world, if we are an ignorant people we will be treated as an ignorant people. Are most Americans going to know every nation??? No of course not, but critically important ones such as the UK and other European powers. We should know the major players in the world. Of course we should know our Canadian neighbors almost as well as we know our own nation. This should be expected. I cringe when I see some rube on those late night "man on the street" interviews that knows little about his own country, or does not know about critical places around the world.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:55 PM

286 posts, read 699,526 times
Economically speaking, the UK is poorer than vast majority of US states, including Alabama.

Europe is basically West Virginia with high South Asian immigration and fittingly, abandoned castles. Who cares what they think? Increasingly, the place is irrelevant.

Why Britain is poorer than any US state, other than Mississippi » Spectator Blogs

Old 11-27-2014, 09:41 PM

623 posts, read 958,311 times
If real, the Brits who were asked most likely know more about the US (or at least the regional stereotypes) than the average American.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:12 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Apart from placing "Jazz" in NC it is amazing how accurate the Brits were. I'm sure most of us couldn't do the same for the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.