U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:28 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times

Advertisements

MD and NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 01:04 PM
chh

418 posts, read 495,463 times
Upper Peninsula of Michigan and northern wisconsin. Apparently some people in upper Michigan consider themselves part of Wisconsin.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:17 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Upper Peninsula of Michigan and northern wisconsin. Apparently some people in upper Michigan consider themselves part of Wisconsin.
Um, the UP and Wisconsin share a fairly long border.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times
South Carolina and Florida. Well, maybe just Northern Florida.

Definitely Maryland and New Jersey.

This might be a long stretch, but possibly Alabama and North Carolina. I've heard some pick up a similar vibe in Birmingham and Raleigh, and apparently Raleigh used to be similar to Montgomery before the RTP boom. Maybe a similar layout? I've never been to Montgomery, just what I've heard from Raleigh natives.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:27 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I was literally getting ready to post the exact same thing!

You could also do:
Illinois & Pennsylvania
Wisconsin & Ohio
Michigan & Illinois (Detroit and Chicago)
Pennslvania & Michigan

New Jersey and Rhode Island is a good entirely Northeastern one.

West Virginia & Tennessee, Wikipedia once even compared Chattanooga to Charleston.
MI/MN makes some sense, which is what I believe inspired you here, but WI is not much like OH at all. MN/WI/MI are defined in part by their northwoods, and you can't really pair them accurately with the OH/IN/IL states, as they're much different topographically and culturally.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:46 PM

13,219 posts, read 17,954,379 times
This might sound crazy, but the vibe I get in Tennessee feels oddly similar to Pennsylvania. It's as if Tennessee is Pennsylvania's Southern cousin. The areas around Memphis and Philadelphia are unique in each state, with Memphis being "deep South" and Philadelphia being "megalopolis," but each state overall is intertwined with the mountains that cover large portions of them. In fact, Pittsburgh and Knoxville are the economic and cultural hubs of the northern and southern Appalachians, respectively. You could even say that Pittsburgh is Knoxville the size of Nashville, or Knoxville is Pittsburgh the size of Chattanooga. Of course, when you consider that many Pennsylvanians joined Virginians and Carolinians in settling the interior South, the connection begins to make sense.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:18 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This might sound crazy, but the vibe I get in Tennessee feels oddly similar to Pennsylvania. It's as if Tennessee is Pennsylvania's Southern cousin. The areas around Memphis and Philadelphia are unique in each state, with Memphis being "deep South" and Philadelphia being "megalopolis," but each state overall is intertwined with the mountains that cover large portions of them. In fact, Pittsburgh and Knoxville are the economic and cultural hubs of the northern and southern Appalachians, respectively. You could even say that Pittsburgh is Knoxville the size of Nashville, or Knoxville is Pittsburgh the size of Chattanooga. Of course, when you consider that many Pennsylvanians joined Virginians and Carolinians in settling the interior South, the connection begins to make sense.
interesting and makes sense. Honestly Philadelphia is sort of the outlier area in many ways for PA - for better or worse. PA as a state i more like TN or WV on the whole really - what do they say in WV; Wild, wonderful

FTR I think WV is a truly gorgeous state and not appreciated for what it is. I have not spent a ton of time in TN but would like to - looks like fun cities and gorgeous terrain

makes me think I need to take a long weekend trip to Nashville some time soon

Old 11-26-2014, 02:22 PM

19 posts, read 19,739 times
hawaii + alaska... both outcasts

Old 11-26-2014, 02:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,511,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
MI/MN makes some sense, which is what I believe inspired you here, but WI is not much like OH at all. MN/WI/MI are defined in part by their northwoods, and you can't really pair them accurately with the OH/IN/IL states, as they're much different topographically and culturally.
Though both Minnesotans and Michiganders both know how to drive in the snow, and there are quite a few similarities between Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Minnesota's Iron Range, I otherwise I don't think the two have much in common at all.

The Twin Cities have one of the best economies in the country, while Detroit is, well, Detroit.

The western two-thirds of Minnesota is prairie, whereas all of Michigan is wooded.

Though both states tend to go blue, Minnesota's progressive liberal are a world apart from the populist breed of liberalism you find in Michigan.

Even outside Detroit, cities like Flint, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Midland, and Saginaw all suffer from varying degrees of urban decay. There is no urban decay in Minnesota.

Though there are Finns in the UP, Michigan lacks the Scandinavian influence that so heavily influences Minnesota. Minnesota lacks the Polish influence that is so prevalent in Michigan. In terms of immigrants, Minnesota has Somali, Hmong, Mexicans, Russians, and Ecuadorians. Michigan has Arabs, lots and lots of Arabs, as well as some Bosnians.

Minnesota winters are frigidly cold and brilliantly sunny. Michigan winters are overcast and gloomy.

In terms of the arts, Michigan is a great reputation for the beaux arts, while Minnesota is more well know for contemporary art, dance, and theatre.

In my opinion, the state most like Michigan that does not boarder Michigan is Upstate New York.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:08 PM

462 posts, read 582,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Um, no. Not even close. Too many differences to explain here. They both have nice beaches and palm trees (and even those are quite different). All similarities pretty much end there.
Take out the mountains, and add some humidity, and California becomes Florida. Compare Miami Beach to Venice Beach. Both have heavy Spanish-speaking populations. Both are drug gateways into America from Latin American growers. Both have some really old Spanish missions and forts. Both have a comparable number of large urban areas. Both grow a lot of oranges. Both are known for theme parks, and each house a Disney park (the only two in the United States.) I could go on.

Texas is an even more bizarro version of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or