U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:38 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,377,249 times

Advertisements

I can actually see why people think California (at least Southern California) and Florida are similar. Huge foreign populations, Latin American capitals (LA, Miami), tons of international tourism, massive numbers of transplants/transient population, drugs, warm climates, beaches, people portrayed as superficial (LA, Miami), gay meccas, hideous traffic.

But I think the differences are greater. Florida is pancake flat (i.e. very little comparative outdoor culture), has completely different politics than California, has a miniscule Asian population compared to California, attracts very different Latin American populations than California, is nowhere near as expensive as California, does not remotely have the money/power that California does, and has no answer to San Francisco and the Bay Area. In these latter categories, you could even say New York is more similar to California though there are still huge variances between the two states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:19 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I can actually see why people think California (at least Southern California) and Florida are similar. Huge foreign populations, Latin American capitals (LA, Miami), tons of international tourism, massive numbers of transplants/transient population, drugs, warm climates, beaches, people portrayed as superficial (LA, Miami), gay meccas, hideous traffic.

But I think the differences are greater. Florida is pancake flat (i.e. very little comparative outdoor culture), has completely different politics than California, has a miniscule Asian population compared to California, attracts very different Latin American populations than California, is nowhere near as expensive as California, does not remotely have the money/power that California does, and has no answer to San Francisco and the Bay Area. In these latter categories, you could even say New York is more similar to California though there are still huge variances between the two states.
And even then, the differences (between CA and FL) are even more vast than that. I think people (not from either place, or only familiar with one and not both) get confused because all they see are beaches, sunshine, palm trees, and citrus groves. Florida's beach culture is very different from Southern CA's beach culture for one thing, and Florida's hot and humid tropical to subtropical climate is very different from California's mild Meditterranean coastal climate and inland desert and mountain climates. Florida feels very East coast, and California is the epitome of West coast. Two very different cultures.

A lot of people in these forums like to compare Miami and L.A., but in reality they're very different cities on so many levels. IMO, California really doesn't have a "similar" state anywhere in the country. Some states share certain California-esque qualities (AZ - transplants, suburban development, TX - size, transplants, multiple cities/metros, FL - beaches, citrus, multiple cities, OR - topography, weather, etc etc)... but love it or hate it, there really is only one California, and no other state really even comes close to being more similar than different from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or