Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 01:24 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
5 is pretty limiting, but here goes:
OK, I'll bite... What do your labels mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 01:25 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post

I have many different variations but this is my one that has 5 regions
Bam!

Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Missouri Maryland and Delaware don't belong in that group at all. They are not Southern states but from a modern standpoint Northern states with Southern influences.
You could argue they have as much in common with the Southern group as the Northern group, if not more. It's certainly not a huge stretch to lump those states with the Southern group. It's not an easy mission classifying 50 states into just 5 distinct groups. Of course there's going to be some crossover.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:55 PM

194 posts, read 240,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You could argue they have as much in common with the Southern group as the Northern group, if not more. It's certainly not a huge stretch to lump those states with the Southern group. It's not an easy mission classifying 50 states into just 5 distinct groups. Of course there's going to be some crossover.
Are you kidding me no you could not. Culturally linguistically and in most ways demographically and politically those states resemble the lower Midwest and Northeast. Kansas City, St. Louis, Wilmington and for the most part Baltimore and D.C. have nothing in common with the South from a modern standpoint as well as Cincinnati. You obviously know nothing about these places from a modern standpoint. You know that's true so there is no way from a modern standpoint you could make just as much or more arguments that those states are Southern. Just a matter of time before BajanYankee, Eddieolskool, and wolf39us make their guest appearances.

Last edited by Ball freak; 12-01-2014 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 02:01 PM

The Census Bureau except for Maryland and Delaware pretty much has the regions of this country nailed down to a T.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Are you kidding me no you could not. Culturally linguistically and in most ways demographically and politically those states resemble the lower Midwest and Northeast. Kansas City, St. Louis, Wilmington and for the most part Baltimore and D.C. have nothing in common with the South from a modern standpoint as well as Cincinnati. You obviously know nothing about these places from a modern standpoint. You know that's true so there is no way from a modern standpoint you could make just as much or more arguments that those states are Southern. Just a matter of time before BajanYankee, Eddieolskool, and wolf39us make their guest appearances.

It's closer than you're willing to admit. I'm not sure why you disagree so strongly. Coming from a Northern perspective (lived in Mpls, Chicago, and Cleveland, as well as Columbus and St. Louis) I see a glaring difference between states like Missouri and Minnesota linguistically and culturally. St. Louis is about the only thing in Missoura that keeps it somewhat Northern, but the rest of the state feels like a different world than most Northern states along the Great Lakes (with the exception of Ohio, Illinois and Indiana along their central and southern portions), but my perspective is from the major cities in those states, which may create a bias.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:38 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:

It's closer than you're willing to admit. I'm not sure why you disagree so strongly. Coming from a Northern perspective (lived in Mpls, Chicago, and Cleveland, as well as Columbus and St. Louis) I see a glaring difference between states like Missouri and Minnesota linguistically and culturally. St. Louis is about the only thing in Missoura that keeps it somewhat Northern, but the rest of the state feels like a different world than most Northern states along the Great Lakes (with the exception of Ohio, Illinois and Indiana along their central and southern portions), but my perspective is from the major cities in those states, which may create a bias.
The southern half of Missouri is very southern.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Kansas City is quite Northern as well and Those two cities aren't the only things keeping Missouri in the Midwest. The Midwest is divided into two regions the Upper and Lower Midwest. Every region has glaring differences within it culturally and linguistically just look at the Northeast. The lower Midwest has Southern influences and this area constitutes all of Missouri, all of Kansas and 2/3 of Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. No region is a homogenous mixture and the extreme ends will have glaring differences. Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey are glaringly different from New England culturally and linguistically. So your argument ultimately fails to make a point.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Typical of someone who knows nothing about the state. The southern quarter not the Southern half. The upper portion of the Southern half is a transition zone. It doesn't go from being solidly Midwestern in St. Louis to purely Southern just South of there. You aren't in the true South until you reach Sikeston and Springfield.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Not true at all. The Upper quarter of the Southern half is a transition zone between Midwestern and Southern. You aren't in the South until you've reached Springfield and Sikeston which are in the southernmost quarter of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.