U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Michigan More Like Minnesota or Upstate New York
Minnesota 54 58.70%
Upstate New York 38 41.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,512,111 times

Advertisements

Is Michigan more like Minnesota or Upstate New York?

Though Michigan borders neither state, it has similarities to both, but which state mirrors Michigan the most?

Consider climate, people, economy, culture, immigrant communities, religion, politics, geography, the arts, sports mascots, or any other criteria that you might think of.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-26-2014 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 02:43 PM

9,427 posts, read 18,327,828 times
My primary destination when visiting Upstate NY in the past was usually the mountain areas of the Adirondacks, or the gorges and waterfalls around Ithaca. In topographical terms Michigan doesn't really have an answer to either region to which Upstate NY is fairly well known for, and then throw Niagara Falls in for good measure. I'd have to say Michigan is probably more like Minnesota.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 11-26-2014 at 03:13 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 02:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,512,111 times
I'm saying New York.

Three words: lake effect snow.
Both also have mild summers and gloomy winters.
Tornados are rare in Michigan and New York, but fairly common in Minnesota.
Both are know for cherries and apples.
Both are economically depressed.
Both are very Catholic and very Polish.
Both have very few, if any, Lutherans.
The people in Michigan and New York seem to be more reserved and less outgoing than those in Minnesota.
While both are Democratic, Michigan and Upstate New York reflect a populist, blue-collar version of liberalism that is lacking in Minnesota.
Both have a similar accents.
Both are completely wooded, while Minnesota is mostly prairie.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-26-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 03:01 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,463,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I'm saying New York.

Both have mild summers and gloomy winters.
The people in Michigan and New York seem to be more reserved and less outgoing than those in Minnesota.
While both Democratic, they both reflect a populist, blue-collar version of liberalism that is lacking in Minnesota.
There are plenty of Lutherans in Michigan. Not as many as in Minnesota, but a lot more than in New York.

I think it really depends on where in Michigan you are though, and where you are in either Minnesota or New York. If you're comparing Iron Mountain to Duluth or New York City, Minnesota would be your choice. But if you're comparing suburban Detroit to suburban Buffalo or Morehead, I would say that New York would be more similar.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:34 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
I'm saying New York.

Three words: lake effect snow.
Both also have mild summers and gloomy winters.
Tornados are rare in Michigan and New York, but fairly common in Minnesota.
While both are Democratic, Michigan and Upstate New York reflect a populist, blue-collar version of liberalism that is lacking in Minnesota.
While there are similarities, it just depends on many things. For instance, during my time in college in MI, I noticed that people from the Upper Peninsula had more in common ethnically with MN and WI due to the strong Scandinavian character there. Even the teams they like were many times from those 2 states as well(Packers, Vikings, etc).

Also, Western MI is known for its strong Christian character in connection with the Dutch Reformed Church. While Upstate NY can have a strong Catholic character in parts, I can't think of any as staunch as Western MI.

Economically, both can vary, depending on the area and industry.

Upstate NY has more hills/valleys and mountains.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:02 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,258,415 times
Quote:
I'm saying New York.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:35 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,033,406 times
Most of the southern half of Michigan is open farmland. Wooded areas are definitely more characteristic of the UP and northern Lower Peninsula. In that sense, it's more similar to Minnesota than it is New York.

Culturally, Michigan is pretty similar to Minnesota, however, Metro Detroit itself is more similar to NYC than it is to the Twin Cities. Many immigrants (and even current residents) who locate in Detroit originally lived in NYC/NYS at some point, and throughout history there were many prominent people and settlers from New York that usually had a secondary or prominent influence in SE Michigan by way of the Erie Canal. At the very least, Detroit has more East Coast than Midwestern roots if compared to the Twin Cities.

Last edited by animatedmartian; 11-26-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 07:40 PM
chh

418 posts, read 495,563 times
Living in Michigan, I'd say it's closer to neither, but if I had to choose I'd say Minnesota. Upstate New York has no farmland.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Living in Michigan, I'd say it's closer to neither, but if I had to choose I'd say Minnesota. Upstate New York has no farmland.
That is not true about Upstate NY not having farmland.

Also, you will notice communities in MI with the same names you see in Upstate NY like Livonia, Farmington, Ithaca, Onondaga, Lansing, Auburn, Caledonia, Mount Morris, DeWitt, Waverly, Brighton and Williamstown, among others.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,827,316 times
Ann Arbor and Eastern Michigan has always reminded me of NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or